oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:40 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:52 pm 

Eugene, Sorry, didn't see your post - no connection to Cherry.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:24 pm 

No probs Pauline :--)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:05 pm 

I can remember we were planning to rob Geordie Walker's orchard one day, and Pauline or Kathleen told us not to bother, and then took us in to the orchard, and allowed us to take as many apples as we liked. I am sure that was over fifty years ago. :friends:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:06 pm 

Not as much fun though dukestreet!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:53 pm 

OK you two - am I supposed to guess? Anything to do with Raymond Magee who lived near the Cantrell and Cochrane plant?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:45 pm 

No revelence but whats up with the state of the road in the 3rd picture? there seems to be a lot of rubble and deep holes. Where the DOE at it then? :P

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:47 pm 

Was looking over the posts again last night and was delighted to see Jimmy Murphy - he was another friend of Dads and spent a lot of time in the Burren Road house with us when I was growing up - they did woodwork and french polishing. I never did know where he came from till now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:31 pm 

Liz wrote:
Pauline, did you live in the house that Halls now live in, between O'Hares and Kinneys ;--)

Just a small correction Liz, but it might make a difference if someone is thinking of Kinneys from the 'Point - if I have the right plot (one at the back & one with gable towards the road?) I think it's Kennys you mean - Jim Kenny lives in one & his daughter in the other. Jim's not a Point man.........he's only been here for 40 years or so!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:38 am 

bornandbred wrote:
Liz wrote:
Pauline, did you live in the house that Halls now live in, between O'Hares and Kinneys ;--)

Just a small correction Liz, but it might make a difference if someone is thinking of Kinneys from the 'Point - if I have the right plot (one at the back & one with gable towards the road?) I think it's Kennys you mean - Jim Kenny lives in one & his daughter in the other. Jim's not a Point man.........he's only been here for 40 years or so!

You're right B&B, it is Kennys. For some reason we always pronounced the name as Kinney. :-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:59 am 

I have just found this site, so forgive me if I'm a little out of date. I have been thinking about Warrenpoint recently as my grandfather and an aunt lived there in the 1950s. We used to walk up Well Road and, by only taking right turns, finish back on the coast road at Moygannon. Would I have seen McGivern's traction engines there in a sort of roadside quarry along the edge of Well Road? I can clearly remember work going on maintaining and painting McGivern's fairground equipment in preparation for the next season and I have had a fascination for traction engines ever since. I can't think we would have strayed as far over as Burren Road, so perhaps this was after the yard previously used had burnt down? I can remember reading an interesting article about McGiverns in 'The Model Engineer', which mentioned that they used to tow all the rides and amusements behind the traction engines in a long crocodile, or roadtrain, to Blackrock outside Dundalk, which would have been worth seeing. This would be a bit of a nightmare on today's busy roads but showmen were legally permitted to do that at the time.

In later years there was also a much smaller traction engine under a cover beside a house halfway up the Springfield Road, where a little river used to flow out from under a wall, and I think McGivern himself had painted that for the owner. It was a sort of final reminder of the old days which was a nice thought.

Other memories of that regular walk were of seeing old railway carriages and buses in use as holiday homes alongside the river near the bridge at Moygannon, and for years the remains of a vessel, perhaps an old tank landing craft, beached for dismantling at Dobbin's Point. It gradually disappeared, so I could not exactly say when it was finally cleared, but thankfully it has gone as it was a bit of an eyesore and probably dangerous.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:55 pm 

They used to refer to the site where the engines were As The Old Forge

Was that also the site of an old quarry as I remember the walls were very steep rock faces.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:39 pm 

"Building up and testing the recently purchased chairs"

at The Forge

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:27 am 

Another great picture.Thanks for taking the time to post it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:20 am 

The fifth picture in this selection shows the lads on the ride,Patsy Reid,Jim McMahon,Harry Hughes and Mickey Hughes. 1969?