oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:47 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Dromore road 1948
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:09 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not 100% on the year, but one for the older members to have a look at :D

Thanks to Mabel Clements for the photograph, and I will move this into the main section soon.

Post subject: Re: Dromore road 1948
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:23 pm 

Well i shall have ago at two of the boys names MR first might be Toombs and boy sitting far right might be Johnny Annetts father

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:50 pm 

Liz

Does the boy on the far left of the front row look familiar?

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:51 pm 

silveryfox wrote:
Liz
Jim

Is that Raymie?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:20 pm 

Liz

That's what I'm thinking - in 1948 he was 13.

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:39 pm 

I see Jim Walker in the back row, Johnny Annett in front of Mr.Creanor, Maud Annett,Ann Murphy Thomas (Tomsie) Annett front row..............................still looking......................Kathleen Walker, Margaret Goucher, could be Trevor Blakeley beside Tomsie, not 100% sure..................Billy McBurnie ?? front row ...............Audrie Wilson beside Kathleen Walker ? Elizabeth Goucher with the ringlets...................................Gwen Sterrit..................

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:18 pm 

My goodness northbrook, you're a fountain of knowledge. Would children still have been at school at the age of 13 at that time? Silvery fox and I think that might be Raymond Linden (our uncle) bottom row far left. ~x(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:29 pm 

It was possible to stay on in Primary school until you were fourteen then .................................

I think I may have spotted one of the Colvin girls there also..................................

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:53 pm 

Northbrook could it be my Auntie Margaret rather than Maud?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:17 pm 

Yes that`s possible, although I would have thought Margaret was a bit younger, I think she was between Johnny and Thomas...................................................

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:59 pm 

I thought it was Margaret Annett as well. Never would have recognised my sister Kathleen but I do remember the dress she was wearing - it was emerald green and was passed on to me and I loved it. I never realised how like our mother she was back then.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:35 am 

A bit of guessing now !!...................would the girl in the back row, three from the right be Kathleen Mathers................Pauline, could you confirm if that is Jim in the back row ? ...........
Fourth row,extreme left...........looks like Stanley Harshaw..........................directly opposite, extreme right, looks like one of the Williamson brothers.............

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:41 pm 

Yes Northbrook that is Kathleen Annett(Mathers) in the back row.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:21 pm 

Yes Northbrook, that's our James next to Kathleen Mathers. Now living (retired) in Lisburn with his wife and they have a daughter and grand-daughter living in England. :--)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:29 pm 

Manys the day Jim and I set off on our marathon cycle trips, Belfast and back was no bother then, can`t imagine either of us doing it now ............................................................................

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:59 pm 

I hadn't remembered that you went cycling together and apart from anything else the traffic now would put you off. I do remember Jim and Wesley setting off for Kilkeel every night after dinner. 11 miles there and a pint of milk in some cafe they went to and then eleven miles back. Were you in the same cycle club in Newry?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:14 pm 

All : Back row # 1 Michael Cochrane, Douglas Gordan, Heather Begg, Margaret McAlister, Adrienne Hodge, Kathleen Mathers, Jim Walker, Mr Victor Creanor.
Row 2 : Leslie Heaskey, Stanley Henshaw, Anna McAlister, Joan Murdock, Gwen Sterritt, Margaret Annett, Margaret Goucher, Ann Murphy, Ronnie Sharp, John Annett, Maurice Clements, Jim Nesbitt (dec), Ernie McGuffin, Ronnie Williamson.
Row 3 : Mervyn Patton, Billy Toombs, Ann Colvin, Kathleen Leech, May McCullough, Esther Weir, Kathleen Walker, Edythe Faloon, Elizabeth Goucher.
Row 4 : Geoffrey Harris, Kettel Reid, Brian Hull, Thomas Annett, Henry Cromie, George Toombs.

Again, please accept my apologies if some of the above are since deceased. Stanley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:46 pm 

Pauline Reardon wrote:
I hadn't remembered that you went cycling together and apart from anything else the traffic now would put you off. I do remember Jim and Wesley setting off for Kilkeel every night after dinner. 11 miles there and a pint of milk in some cafe they went to and then eleven miles back. Were you in the same cycle club in Newry?

Yes !!....both members of the Yew Tree CC. in those days ................................................................

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:40 am 

Northbrook - cycling to Kilkeel (I think once) was enough,
couldn't image cycling to Belfast.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Stanley wrote:
All : Back row # 1 Michael Cochrane, Douglas Gordan, Heather Begg, Margaret McAlister, Adrienne Hodge, Kathleen Mathers, Jim Walker, Mr Victor Creanor.
Row 2 : Leslie Heaskey, Stanley Henshaw, Anna McAlister, Edna Murdock, Gwen Sterritt, Margaret Annett, Margaret Goucher, Ann Murphy, Ronnie Sharp, John Annett, Maurice Clements, Jim Nesbitt (dec), Ernie McGuffin, Ronnie Williamson.
Row 3 : Mervyn Patton, Billy Toombs, Ann Colvin, Kathleen Leech, May McCullough, Esther Weir, Kathleen Walker, Edythe Faloon, Elizabeth Goucher.
Row 4 : Jeffery Harris, Kettel Reid, Brian Hull, Thomas Annett, Henry Cromie, George Toombs.

Again, please accept my apologies if some of the above are since deceased. Stanley

Thanks for those Stanley. Mabel gave me a list today that Maurice has written out, it more or less tallies with yours but there are a couple of names that are slightly different, the back row names all match, in the next row down he has Joan Murdock instead of Edna and in the bottom row has Harry Cromie instead of Henry - I'll add the names onto the photograph once we have those 2 sorted out :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:53 pm 

Brian : All the 1948 pupils were a few years older than me and I copied the list of names from the School magazine published in June 2002. I remember both Edna and Joan Murdock who lived at the bottom of Milltown St and I still think that Edna Murdock is correct. Harry and Henry were the same name and both would be correct with Warrenpoint people. My own father baptised Henry, after his grandfather, was always known to us and others as Harry.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:55 pm 

In 1975 my sister started to go out with a Belfast chap from just of the Shore Road, and by 1976 they got engaged and he spent a lot of week ends in Warrenpoint, I have to add he liked visiting the local taverns and inns.
Back then young Robert was a compositer with Century Press, which was responsible for helping produce a lot of the Belfast daily newspapers.
Every Monday morning he would arrive into work and his mate Harry would ask had he a good week end. Bobbie would always say, "smashing weekend, down in the girlfriends place." He never mentioned Warrenpoint in the conversations, as him being a city dweller, he didn't think anyone in the city ever heard ofthe 'Point. Bobby really hadn't a clue were his mate Harry came from, he just assumed he was from the Greater Belfast area.
They used to go out for a drink every Friday evening, but this night Bobbie said to his mate Harry, he couldn't go for a drink that night, as he had to catch the bus at 7.30 to his girlfriend's place. Harry said that he was going to the bus station himself, as he was going home for the weekend. So they both decided to go for a drink in Robinson's in Great Victoria. About 7.15 Bobbie said he had to go as his bus would be along soon, and Harry said the exact same thing. They both walked over and stood at the where the Newry Express was standing, and both embarked.Harry asked Bobbie where was he going to which Bobbie said Warrenpoint, and Harry said he was going to the same destination.
The outcome of this story is that the shocked Harry, my brother-in-law's mate, was none other than the late Harry Cromie from Summerhill.
Later that evening I got a phone call from a pub in Banbridge to come and collect two inebriated travellers, they had disembarked at Banbridge to top up.
Harry Cromie apologised profusely for taking me out of my may, but to be in Harry Cromie's company was thanks enough.
It is a small world. :cheers: :cheers:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:23 am 

Liz wrote:
silveryfox wrote:
Liz
Jim

Is that Raymie?

The boy on the far left looks very like Geoffrey Harris.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:22 pm 

George Williamson wrote:
Liz wrote:
silveryfox wrote:
Liz
Jim

Is that Raymie?

The boy on the far left looks very like Geoffrey Harris.

George, Silveryfox and I both think that is our Uncle.........Raymond Linden, but we could be wrong ~x( :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:43 am 

Hi, What a great picture. I recognize most of the people and you are correct the boy on the extreme right of the picture is myself.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:27 pm 

In that picure of the Dromore Rd School 1948, it is actually my sister Joan Murdock who is in the picture, I left the school around 1939

Stanley wrote:
Brian : All the 1948 pupils were a few years older than me and I copied the list of names from the School magazine published in June 2002. I remember both Edna and Joan Murdock who lived at the bottom of Milltown St and I still think that Edna Murdock is correct. Harry and Henry were the same name and both would be correct with Warrenpoint people. My own father baptised Henry, after his grandfather, was always known to us and others as Harry.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:58 am 

Hi Edna, I agree with you it is your sister Joan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:04 pm 

Bottom row, far left, is definitly me.....Geoffrey Harris.
I wonder where all these people are today?