oldwarrenpointforum

It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:01 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:15 pm 

I can't tell you how many times I have been on the crossing at Friar Tucks, half away across the green man starts to flash and the traffic lights turn to flashing amber, all of a sudden the cars take off! Only recently I made it to the central section with my son in the push chair when the red light changed to flashing amber, Mr Boyracer waiting at the crossing zooms off just missing the pushchair! I didn't get his number.
So just a reminder to all of us drivers, it's very easy to sit and stare at the red light, happily listening to Queens greatest hits on the car radio, then as soon as the red light dissappears put the foot down! But please only move on when the crossing is clear.

Pelican crossings. These are signal-controlled crossings where flashing amber follows the red ‘Stop’ light. You MUST stop when the red light shows. When the amber light is flashing, you MUST give way to any pedestrians on the crossing. If the amber light is flashing and there are no pedestrians on the crossing, you may proceed with caution.
Laws ZPPPCRGD regs 23 & 26 & RTRA sect 25(5)

There, thats my rant over, it might stop someone getting hurt or worse!

:angry:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:02 pm 

I totally agree Richard,I was almost wiped out on the second part of the crossing last week,not by a boy racer,but a woman driving a Louth registered car.My granchildren were with me and she proceeded to drive on when we had just crossed the centre of the road...........I just glared at her. x(

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:12 pm 

:angry: hear hear richard the crossing at the northern bank is terrible and i have also had a few harsh words with people at the friar tuck crossing :angry:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:13 am 

The problem in the Point regarding traffic and pedestrian crossings is equalled universally. Pity someone has to get killed before the governing body takes action.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:14 am 

Looks like your rant is shared by most people. I have to admit I totally agree also. A few months ago again at the same place as yourself half way across the road I nearly got hit by a boy racer. I didn't catch his number plate but I did manage to catch his extended middle finger directed at me. Looks like he reckons the amber light was just for him to move off and sod the people on the crossing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:59 pm 

Good point richiemac...But there is two sides to every coin ,on many occasions when im approaching that crossing and when the light is green.people just walzt straight across from one end to the other without as much as a glance,seem to treat it like a zebra crossing. A few occasions I had to brake sharply followed by a few ..let's say pleasant exchange's but not on my behalf I might add...