oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:11 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:44 pm 

WARRENPOINT TOWN CLERK.
The following has appeared in the ‘London Daily News.’
The war brought prosperity to Ireland and Irishmen, but there are exceptions. One is Mr. Vincent Crawford, B.A., and Town Clerk of Warrenpoint, whose salary amounts to less than that paid to the men who sweep the local streets.
To be precise, Mr. Crawford, who is a full time local government official whose office hours are from 10.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. with attendance at local council meetings after that hour, receives for his labour as Town Clerk and Executive Sanitary Officer £100 per year, and each week signs paying orders for the local scavengers at £1 -19s.0-2d. per week.

Things have at last come to a crisis, and Mr. Crawford has made it quite clear to the Council that unless his present remuneration is forthwith doubled he will not hesitate to seek a berth where his labours will yield him a greater return.
The ‘Daily News’ representative went in search of this one Irishman whom the war had not prospered in that pleasant and progressive seaside resort of which he is Town Clerk. I found him filling the role of pianist at the local picture palace, a leisure hour expedient he confessed he was obliged to resort to make up the deficiencies in his income.
Not only is he a Bachelor of Arts of the Royal University of Ireland, but he is a pianist of no mean degree besides, and several picture house patrons told me they went to hear him exercise his rare musical talents rather than to see the pictures themselves.
The Council do not allege lack of efficiency on the part of Mr. Crawford, who is a model official and has on more than one occasion been complimented by the Local Government Board auditor, but they plead the cannot pay more in view of the fact that they are committed to an annual payment of £80 per year as superannuation allowance to the retired Town Clerk.

The Newry Reporter September 23rd 1919.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:46 pm 

I can only hope that the retired Town Clerk, Bernard McKernan (my great-grandfather) did the decent thing and fell on his pen in order to free up badly needed funds for his successor's salary.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:54 am 

Hiya Town Clerk welcome aboard, can you tell me anything about Bernard McKernan's son, John I believe, who lost his life in WW1, he would be your grand - uncle, I think?
I have found a few clippings of information concerning the McKernan family, in the local newspapers.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:05 pm 

Moderator,

To be perfectly honest, I was unaware of the composition of my great-grandfather's family until the relevant information became available via the 1901 Census.

John R McKernan (my grand-uncle) was 24 in 1901. If this is the same individual referred to as J R McKernan on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website (www.cwgc.org) he was 39 when he died in France on the 29th April 1916, the same week as the Easter Rising in Dublin.

He is listed as Private J R McKernan - 20635 - 8th Battalion, Royal Irish Fusiliers. He is buried at Bois-Carre Military Cemetery, Haisnes.

From limited research I can only surmise that he died from gas poisoning at Hulluch. From the accounts I have read about this episode of WW1, it is likely that he, together with hundreds of his comrades, suffered a horrific death.

Neither John R McKernan nor my grandfather (listed as Leo James McKernan in the 1901 Census) appear in the same household return in the 1911 Census.

It would appear that my great-grandfather (Bernard) had acquired a (considerably younger) second wife in the intervening ten years while managing to age by only five years. Apparently this is one of the benefits of marrying a younger woman.

(Leo) James came south and opened a chemist-shop in Blessington, Co. Wicklow, where he was involved with the Local Defence Force (LDF) during the Second World War or The Emergency, as we refer to it down here.

He was the father of three sons: Bernard (my father), Michael and Leo, and one daughter: Margaret (Peggy). Only Peggy (85) is alive today.

My granfather died in 1961 (or thereabouts) in Mount Carmel Hospital in Dublin and was buried in Warrenpoint.

I would be grateful if you could provide me with any further information.

Regards.

Brian McKernan
Kilkenny

TOWNCLERK

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:54 pm 

Thanks to DUKESTREET for the information about John R McKernan provided back in 2011.

The elliptical war memorial at Notre Dame de Lorette, in Ablain-Saint-Nazaire is engraved with the name J R McKernan (my grand-uncle) amongst the names of almost 580,000 men who died in northern France during the First World War.

We also visited his grave in Bois Carre Cemetry, between Hulluch and Vermelles, near Lens, on 29th April 2016, the 100th anniversary of his death.