oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:05 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:12 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I mentioned this in the "old" forum.
To recap i recall as a young lad being told a story by my grandfather, that when he was digging in one of his fields on the bridal loanan, they uncovered what appeared to be an entrance to an ancient cave.

A team of archaeologists came over from England to investigate, and confirmed it was not a cave, but in fact an ancient passage or "subterranean tunnel" heading inland towards the Upper Dromore road, unfortunately due to the outbreak of the 2nd world war, nothing more was done and the entrance sealed up (for safety) I even remember standing in the field and having the entrance pointed out to me.

I had more or less forgotten about the story, until I read a very small article in an old book when doing research.

I'll quote the exact text here:

Quote:
"There was, and still is as far as I know, a spot about 500 yards up the (old) Burren road from the junction between this and jenny Blacks hill (up towards the Donaghaguy road) which gives a hollow ringing sound if stamped upon. We never failed to try this out when either walking with our parents or roving the country for Blackberries.

We were told mysteriously that an underground tunnel existed from the Rath to a point of exit on the Rampart bank a means of escape in those far off days when Carlingford lough was the attack route for the Danes or mauraders.

Sure enough, during the excavations by the firm of F.G.O'Hare for the luxurious and modern Saint Marks Secondary school on the upper dromore road, reference was made in the "Newry Reporter" to the unearthing of a soutuain or chamber and this was on the supposed route of the presumed subterranean passage we had lived with in imagination.

So, putting those 2 stories together certainly gives some thought to the fact that there is (or was) some sort of passage. :shock:

With all the building that has gone on recently, the chances of ever finding anything remains small, but I do note that not all of the ground that lies on the path of the supposed tunnel has been built on yet, so who knows what could be found in the future 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:46 pm 

Thats very very interesting.. an ancient tunnel will this be followed up????
Isn't there meant to bea tunnel at the Clonallon Rath ( Devil's Ring ) .........by Fishers big house on the Rath Road??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That would be the same one. The tunnel is supposed to run from there right across to the bridal, although with so much digging and building happening recently on and around the route, it's unlikely anything will ever be done about it now.

Unless somebody falls into it :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:03 am 

Shame tho! who knows what could be uncovered . Its eerie to think that the tunnel is still there under us. I would imagine it would run right through St Marks Playing Feilds. Not many people know about this. I mentioned it to my Sisters and they laughed! :!:

Its a real shame the tunnel has been left and its an urban legend to many. I myself remember playing aroud the Devil's Ring ( Clonallon Rath ) as a young lad. At least ten of us Rossmara Park lads searched for the tunnel but to know avail. I'm near tempted again. I would put money on the developers who are building on the Well Road's new site are right on top of it......what you think :X

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh it ran right through St Marks alright, as the article above mentions, as for the route it would not really go near the current well road building, more under dallan hill toward the burren road, St Marks and then across to the bridal.

It's no urban legend though, as records do exist (somewhere) about the bridal entrance, and the passage at St Marks, although to silence the cynics some sort of entrance would need to be found around the rath..

of course, then there is the other theory that the rath itself was built from soil removed from the tunnel, but that would only cover a tiny part of it.

another thing we have to remember that these underground passages would have been tiny, and the majority of the tunnel will have collapsed in on itself by now, so the possibility of ever locating it again is pretty slim.

A little bit of geophysics might help, but remember the route has been largely built over :cry:

so into the memory banks that one goes, with no real proof that it exists save a couple of reports about an entrance and a chamber, and the cynics will simply push the urban legend myth theory forward.

.....unless we can get geophysics done at the rath :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:11 pm 

How do you go about that ? :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Phone tony robinson up at time team and tell him we think there is viking treasure buried there...... :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:25 am 

Talking of tunnels, when I worked in a Childrens Home in Lisburn there was a tunnel that ran from the basement of the home to the town centre. I remember another member of staff and me feeling brave one day and moved the cupboards that were in front of the entrance and started walking along the tunnel which was completly dry inside. When it started to turn corners we chickened out and came back before we got lost! The home was originally an old Manor House but not quite sure where the tunnel would have come up!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:27 pm 

Yes I have heard of this too, and whilst being at St.Marks some pupils tried gleaning more information from teachers,etc..only to be told that indeed an underground passage had been found in the process of building the school but had been sealed off by a wall...I would say the builders of the school could pin-point the area where the tunnel arrives at St.Marks....We should all lobby Time Team to research it!!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:56 pm 

springfield wrote:
Thats very very interesting.. an ancient tunnel will this be followed up????
Isn't there meant to bea tunnel at the Clonallon Rath ( Devil's Ring ) .........by Fishers big house on the Rath Road??

Yeah I want to know more about the Rath also, IO always walk the dogs up there and injure myself climbing fences into fields. ALl i seen up there was a lot of rabbit warrens and sheep. Why devils ring?

This thread is very interesting I didn't know about a tunnel in the bridal loanan, where would it have been there? why was it there? I have to know! :-O

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:35 pm 

The tunnel supposedly runs from The Rath to The Bridle loanan area...The term`Devils Ring` got its name from the likes of `Springfield` running around scaring the life out of himself thinking devil worshipping went on up there!! Which we all know was imagination running wild!! :twisted: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:18 pm 

As far as I was led to believe, back in the early 90's there was alledged Santanic practices going on ( sacrafices ) as some small dogs etc remains had been found burnt! So it was called the Devils Ring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:52 pm 

yeah they said satanic worship used to go on on that cave on the beach and we where always scared to walk past it lol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:31 pm 

Seriously `Springfield` them kind of rumours went in cycles...can anyone remember the same sort of thing being told about Campbells Pond around `83-`84 and people reportedly being seen lurking around wearing `White Hoods` and thats what everyone called them..the dare then was to see how far anyone would venture in Campbells after dark...and usually scaring the complete `you know what` out of somebody else doing the same thing!! :))

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:54 pm 

herecomestheCONGO wrote:
Seriously `Springfield` them kind of rumours went in cycles...can anyone remember the same sort of thing being told about Campbells Pond around `83-`84 and people reportedly being seen lurking around wearing `White Hoods` and thats what everyone called them..the dare then was to see how far anyone would venture in Campbells after dark...and usually scaring the complete `you know what` out of somebody else doing the same thing!! :))

Just to prove to Moygannon that I am not insane...Hat tip to HCTC and the search facility !!! Links to the ghost story thread of more recent origins:
http://www.oldwarrenpointforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1502

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:21 pm 

Charlotte's Treat wrote:
herecomestheCONGO wrote:

Just to prove to Moygannon that I am not insane...Hat tip to HCTC and the search facility !!! Links to the ghost story thread of more recent origins:
http://www.oldwarrenpointforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1502

LOL I see now. I was so totally confused I never heard that one before.

And them animal bones I found up the rath and all around the nursing when I was out exploring when I was a teen up there. They where animal ones, one of the walls near the rath at the back of the home was falling down and they where all inside it for some reason. ~x(

Brian where in the field was that entrance? can you x a picture of the playing field?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:14 am 

Brian wrote:
Oh it ran right through St Marks alright, as the article above mentions, ...It's no urban legend though, as records do exist (somewhere) about the bridal entrance, and the passage at St Marks, :D

a more logical theory is that the very industrious pupils at St. Marks actually dug the tunnels in order to bunk off up the bridal for a smoke.... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:06 pm 

whitestar wrote:
Brian wrote:
Oh it ran right through St Marks alright, as the article above mentions, ...It's no urban legend though, as records do exist (somewhere) about the bridal entrance, and the passage at St Marks, :D

a more logical theory is that the very industrious pupils at St. Marks actually dug the tunnels in order to bunk off up the bridal for a smoke.... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Not beyond the realms of imagination `whitestar`..there were some shrewd operators in that school!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:27 pm 

Digging up an old one here! Interesting read.

Yes I remember my late father recalling how he stood in this tunnel during the excavations of St. Marks.

The tunnel was not encountered during the current extension to St. Marks, sad for me as I was looking forward to seeing it, happy for the structural engineers!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:06 pm 

One of my recent visits up to St Mark's to take pictures with Paul McEvoy he commented on the sod been dug for the new school and standing in the mouth of the tunnel which I think was down near the boiler house, I must run it past him again or Brian you can if you want to?