oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: moygannon
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:32 pm 

Post subject: Re: moygannon
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:35 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:50 am 

Nicer looking bridge than whats there now. Always felt like a really spooky area.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:08 pm 

Same bridge,built in 1903, (date etched on underside of the bridge), known as "Boss's Bridge" after Boss Connolly, who owned the farm, the house and steading of which are now owned by Sam Thompson and converted into the nursery we see today. The farm included the roadsides as far up as the bottom of the hill at Best's house, previously known as McClusky's hill and, subsequently, Capt.Kelly's. Boss Connolly gave permission for the bridge to be built and to open out onto Moygannon Road, hence the bridge's name. Prior to that bridge, the entrance to Moygannon was over the ford at the crossroads and along the bank of the river, the loaning for which has long since been washed away. Co-incidentally,the bank on the other side of the river was also owned by a family called Connolly, no relation, but ancestors of Doobiebrother, whose uncle John had the high walls of the bridge removed to allow a static caravan to be brought over it to be sited in his garden in, I think, the 1960's. The grassy bank where the lady is sitting was the site where, in the 1940's/50's, Bradleys' (Myrtle's uncles), cows were watered morning and evening before milking. Memories of a happy and carefree childhood!Happy days!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:28 pm 

Forest wall : enjoyed reading your memories and knowledge
of Moygannon.
A favoured walk of mine, now enhanced with the addition of
the knowledge of part of it's history.

Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:07 pm 

forest wall wrote:
Same bridge,built in 1903, (date etched on underside of the bridge), known as "Boss's Bridge" after Boss Connolly, who owned the farm, the house and steading of which are now owned by Sam Thompson and converted into the nursery we see today. The farm included the roadsides as far up as the bottom of the hill at Best's house, previously known as McClusky's hill and, subsequently, Capt.Kelly's. Boss Connolly gave permission for the bridge to be built and to open out onto Moygannon Road, hence the bridge's name. Prior to that bridge, the entrance to Moygannon was over the ford at the crossroads and along the bank of the river, the loaning for which has long since been washed away. Co-incidentally,the bank on the other side of the river was also owned by a family called Connolly, no relation, but ancestors of Doobiebrother, whose uncle John had the high walls of the bridge removed to allow a static caravan to be brought over it to be sited in his garden in, I think, the 1960's. The grassy bank where the lady is sitting was the site where, in the 1940's/50's, Bradleys' (Myrtle's uncles), cows were watered morning and evening before milking. Memories of a happy and carefree childhood!Happy days!

Forest Wall...would Myrtle's uncles have been "Craxtons"?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:39 pm 

Hi, Joanne. Myrtle is a Craxton by her maiden name, sister of John, Carmel, etc, of Drumsesk. Her mother, Mary, was Bradley by her maiden name, a sister of George, Jimmy, Dan, and Harry Bradley of Moygannon. By marrying Brendan Bradley, no relation, she co-incidentally reverted to her mother's maiden name. Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:13 pm 

Used to love looking into the water
by the Bridge, and watch the
trout.
The water was so clear.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:00 am 

forest wall wrote:
Hi, Joanne. Myrtle is a Craxton by her maiden name, sister of John, Carmel, etc, of Drumsesk. Her mother, Mary, was Bradley by her maiden name, a sister of George, Jimmy, Dan, and Harry Bradley of Moygannon. By marrying Brendan Bradley, no relation, she co-incidentally reverted to her mother's maiden name. Hope that helps.

Thanks Forest Wall.....I never knew that Myrtle's mother's name was Bradley :thumbs:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:37 am 

Always liked the area - romantic memories for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:02 pm 

Related to the topic, in a kind of a way:

I lived in Moygannon from 1969 until the end of 1972/ early part of 1973, and I have some memories of the area. We lived in the house that was attached (I think it was attached) to the milking sheds beside John Sloan's house. I see from Google maps now that John Sloan's house looks exactly the same as it did c. 45 years ago, but the house we lived in has been demolished and rebuilt/ completely remodelled. There are other houses beside it now which weren't there when I lived there. I almost expected to see the old milk churns lying out by the side of the road (I remember those).

Our family often spoke of spooky things happening in the old house (which was only a ground floor layout - no upstairs, just two rooms I recall - kitchen/ living room with a big range in it, and a bedroom. Outdoor toilet was located across the street) and I'm nearly sure someone said that Bradley brothers used to own it or live there. (I don't know why the name Bradley comes to mind, I might be wrong).

The front door of the old house may have been moved from one part of the house to where it was when I was living there - there was talk that the door used to be in a different part of the wall. No idea, really, as I am missing huge chunks of information, but would love to fill in the missing links. I think the door and eaves were painted green, and there was a small orchard out the back, overgrown with nettles (there's a new house there now). There was a rusted red gate across the street, separating our part of the street from John Sloan's part of the street (to stop the cattle from wandering through) and the other end of the street segued into a laneway. I seem to remember a large tractor coming through from that end (possibly Dick Ward's tractor - as I think that area was reasonably close to the Ward's farmland), and I also remember going into the sheds to watch John Sloan's cows being milked.

I'm also researching the family tree at the moment and have discovered ancestors by the name of Connolly, who very possibly came from the Moygannon area. A Thomas Connolly who would have been my great-great-great grandfather. Beyond him, I'm not sure. His wife was Mary (maiden name unknown). Thomas & Mary had a number of children, their daughter Ann would have been my great-great grandmother - and it was she who donated and installed a stained glass window in Rostrevor chapel, which was located above the confession box, on the Fairy Hill side. There used to be a small plaque on the wall underneath, with her name inscribed on it. When the chapel underwent remodelling in the early-mid 1980s, the stained glass window was removed and replaced, the name plaque disappeared, and nobody seems to know where the original window went.

Ann possibly had brothers called George and Thomas, and possibly a sister called Sally or Sarah. The late Joe Connolly & Harry Connolly would have been cousins several times removed, but I'm not sure of their parents'/ grandparents' names.

I've also come across the family's McAnulty connection - a Bessie McAnulty was one of my great-great grandmothers, she married a John Morgan (not sure which Morgan he was, as there were large numbers of Morgans around at the time). Amongst Bessie's children were Catherine (my great-grandmother) and Elizabeth (grandmother of John Joe, Raymond, Brian, Dominic and the late Martin Parr). I haven't been able to trace the lineage beyond Bessie, but I remember my grandfather (Bessie's grandson, John Gribben) saying he was related to the Warrenpoint McAnultys, and indeed he bore a strong facial resemblance to a cousin called Willie McAnulty. Willie lived in America (I don't know whereabouts exactly) and he used to come back for regular visits, I remember seeing him around. I don't know if he was born in the US or if he emigrated there, or who his parents were, I'm missing that information.

I've also written in the Forum before about the late Harry Cole (Cole's Corner), he was a half-brother of my grandfather, and he too would have been related to the McAnultys, through the maternal line. There's also another link with Moygannon, as I believe Harry Cole and John Sloan were great friends. In his later years, Harry bore a strong facial resemblance to my grandfather, and Willie McAnulty as well.

Maybe some of the Forum members would have knowledge of the McAnulty or Connolly family trees, it would be great to be able to go back yet another couple of generations into the past. I'm guessing that Bessie McAnulty would have been born around the 1820s or 30s, and Thomas Connolly may have been born in the late 1700s or early 1800s. His father in turn may have been called Henry, but I'm not sure. Presumably both parties had a number of siblings, which might bring to light other branches of the tree.

Another branch which seems to have opened up as well is that of Fegan (an Elizabeth Fegan appears to be a great-great-great grandmother, who married Bernard Gribben). This Elizabeth Fegan, born c. 1796, would have been Ann Connolly's mother-in-law. However, beyond Elizabeth's name, I have no other Fegan details.

I would be delighted if any Forum members had further family tree information on the surnames mentioned, it would be really interesting to fill in the missing links and discover the townland connections. Also, if anyone knows about the house in Moygannon that I'm referring to and has information on that too, that would be great.

Many thanks, C :-C

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:16 pm 

From recollection I believe that the late Harry Cole may have been related ,somehow , to the Connolly's from Clonallan Road ( beyond the Church of Ireland)
I also think that there is a connection with Paddy McLoughlin and his sister Sheelagh (Sheila) from Drumsesk Place Warrenpoint. They may be nephew and niece of Harry Cole but this I cannot verify.
The house , to which you refer, is on the Rath Road, not the Moygannon Road, and was acquired by the late Paddy Clerkin.
I do recall the milk churns !!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:20 am 

Hello Jacana,

Many thanks for your reply. I'm sure the house was/is definitely on the Moygannon Road though, not the Rath Road, as the river ran through the bottom of the field right in front of our house. John Sloan's laneway ran across the river (via a small concrete bridge). His laneway, according to Google maps, also now appears to be labelled Moygannon Road, due to the development of several new big houses in the surrounding fields.

Looking at Google maps and the position of John Sloan's old house, and the river running right in front of it, I would definitely say Moygannon Road, (as the Rath Road branches off a bit to the left before the bend in the road as you come up from the main Warrenpoint-Rostrevor Road). Unless Google maps have named the roads back-to-front (always a possibility!)

If the old house (adjoining John Sloan's milking shed and now replaced by a huge new build) was not the one you say was owned by Paddy Clerkin (I don't know/ didn't know him), I wonder whose house it was, back in the day? When did Paddy Clerkin own it? I don't have any photos of the old place either. I can see it clearly in my mind's eye though. The house remained in situ for a good many years after we left, as we used to visit the area regularly. I wouldn't know who redeveloped it in recent years.

The only way I recognise the area now is by the fact that John Sloan's house, sheds, and laneway are exactly the same as they were back in the day. The new house built on the site where I used to live looks completely different to the original, and is now a stand-alone, I had to do a double-take when I looked at it on Google maps to realise this was the site I was looking for.

Looking at satellite pictures, the new big house has been built slightly forward of the old site, jutting out onto the old street, and there appears to be a modern shed attached to/ built right up next to the old milking shed. In years to come, John Sloan's house might also be redeveloped, and it will become more difficult to find recognisable landmarks from days gone by.

In the first post, I mentioned there was talk of spooky happenings at the house - there were some odd things from time to time alright - and sometimes John Sloan's dogs would go crazy, barking at something outside our door that none of us could see. There was a rumour that a previous owner/ occupant of the house had drowned in the river. However, that could have been a made-up tale on somebody's part, I don't know. There were lots of spooky tales concerning the Moygannon and Drumsesk areas in particular, as far as I recall.

Yes, Paddy & Sheila McLoughlin's mother was Rita, a full sister of Harry Cole. Harry, Rita, Bridie & Michael were the children of my great-grandmother's second marriage, half-siblings of my grandfather. Michael died many years ago as a young man, in an industrial accident in England (I'm not sure if he had any children in England or not), Bridie never married, and Harry's remaining child (after little Peter died), daughter Anne, moved to England many many years ago, where she worked as an educational psychologist (or something along those lines). From what I could gather, Anne had no children. I think she may have settled in Kent, but I'm not sure (or maybe Michael had been working in Kent), but for some reason Kent comes to mind. I would expect Paddy & Sheila would have a bit more information on all of that. Paddy McLoughlin Jnr, whom a lot of people would know, is Harry's grand-nephew.

Harry Cole's Connolly connection would be through his grandmother Ann Connolly (my great-great-grandmother) and her father Thomas Connolly (if it is the same family of Connollys - but the Clonallon Connollys might be unrelated, I don't know).

I don't think I know the Connollys at all from Clonallon Road - would any descendants be around there now, do you think? Or would any of them be members of this Forum?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:34 am 

Hi,
I think I have been looking at the wrong property.
There was a gentleman, called Sloan, who lived on the Rath Road . The cottage was located close to Annetts Garden centre.
My apologies for wrong information.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:42 pm 

No problem. I went hunting around on this Forum to try to find pictures of the area I'm referring to, and could only find one taken from a Gray's Road. I can't remember the photographer's name, but the photo was taken in 2012.

The angle of the photo drew compliments from some Forum members, who quickly identified John Sloan's house and the gable of what they said was Brian Ward's house. It's a tall white gable that's visible and that would fit in with the big new house I can see on the satellite pictures - the site of the old house I used to live in. Drumreagh mountain is visible in the background.

If you know Brian Ward, you'll maybe know the location of the house.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It would have been Pat McGiverns photo

http://www.oldwarrenpointforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=10285

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:15 pm 

That's the one, Brian, many thanks!