oldwarrenpointforum

It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:24 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:10 am 

dukestreet wrote:
Would that be Herbie McNellis in the top right hand corner, and Dessie Holmes at the very front?
Would that be Dominic O'Hare half hidden by Mrs. Murray? :cheers:

Well it certainly could be Dessie' s head right at the front. And the man standing at the back looks like Alan Ball who was a decent badminton player. (No judgement intended)

For the most part these old photos befuddle me (alzheimers or just been away too long)).

But Mr Ball's face is somehow drilled into my memory.

Opportunity for a rude pun here for somenme

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:45 pm 

nkrumah wrote:
But Mr Ball's face is somehow drilled into my memory. Opportunity for a rude pun here for somenme

I thought that was my old tormenter.....no rude puns (I'll leave that to the obvious members, who shall be nameless ;) ) Mr Ball was a lovely man, & tried his best to allay my absolute terror of dental treatment. He used to administer gas, which put me into a light sleep, but somehow I always felt the drill & imagined I was screaming during treatment.....which he said sounded more like singing! It's unfortunate to associate such a nice guy with such torture, but I can still see his face , & the window behind him, fading before & reappearing after treatment......I had nightmares about it for a long time! :shocked:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:42 am 

bornandbred wrote:
nkrumah wrote:
But Mr Ball's face is somehow drilled into my memory. Opportunity for a rude pun here for somenme

I thought that was my old tormenter.....no rude puns (I'll leave that to the obvious members, who shall be nameless ;) ) Mr Ball was a lovely man, & tried his best to allay my absolute terror of dental treatment. He used to administer gas, which put me into a light sleep, but somehow I always felt the drill & imagined I was screaming during treatment.....which he said sounded more like singing! It's unfortunate to associate such a nice guy with such torture, but I can still see his face , & the window behind him, fading before & reappearing after treatment......I had nightmares about it for a long time! :shocked:

I remember that window, tried to concentrate on the trees rather than the drill. At the back of the CoI, are they still there?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:50 pm 

B&B,

Have been trying to do some research on this picture!! Various sources in W'pt think that the lady with glasses sitting on the floor is Sheila Leathem,also just above her is Pauline Grills. I had missed her on previous glances at the picture and can't believe I did!! If I see her when next in town i will ask her about the photo. Northbrook had mentioned that Hugh Gaw was in the picture.Where ? I can't pick him out. Do i need to visit Dervla?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:06 pm 

You`re safe for another while, I`m afraid I am the one who needs to make the appointment..........a case of mistaken identity.............................
The girl with the glasses does not look like Sheila Leathem to me, Sheila was fair haired...............................

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:17 pm 

Northbrook,

Will try and find out when next in town who the girl is. Mum is in England at the moment so can't ask her at present. Bab's Tate or Pauline Grills may know . Did the Badminton club meet in the Orange hall or Town hall?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:37 pm 

Not sure on that one,but I have a notion it was the Town Hall....................

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:04 pm 

dukestreet : Yes the girl sitting at the front is Pearl Smyth the younger sister of Gordon. This family always used the Y spelling. Stanley

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:39 pm 

northbrook wrote:
I think Mary Harris/Rowland may be there also........................................

I do not recognize my mother in this photo,but the lady on the left may be her sister, Valerie.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:36 pm 

OMG LOOK HOW YOUNG UNCLE PETER IS. R.I.P

LIEBRA MALOCCA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:09 pm 

Hi folks. There were two badminton teams in Warrenpoint in the 1950's. One was in the Presbyterian Church hall where the back tram lines of the court were painted on the central heating pipes mounted at the base of the wall. My mother who had been an Inter-provincial player just prior to the war started me off playing there in the mid 1950's.
The other club met in the Town Hall which had two courts[side by side]. i joined it from the Presbyterian Church club, when my mother thought i was good enough. I made the move in 1957/1958 so this photograph is just a year or two previous. The gentlemen at the rear [from left] are Alan Ball, Vinto Gilmore and Herbie McNellis. In the next row Meta Wilson is on the extreme left, Bob Tate third from left. After the two obscure people we have Alan Tate with Babs Williamson[later Mrs Alan Tate] sitting immediately in front of him. On Alan's left I believe the partially obscured person is Dessie Wilson[Arnold Wilson the builders son]. Between Babs and Liam Gilmore is Mrs Pearl Moore[Sergt George Moore's wife]. The male sitting in front of Meta i believe to be Derek Halpin[probably one of the best i have ever played with or against]. I agree with Stanley that the girl with glasses is Pearl Smyth from Lagan Farm and Mrs Grills and Mrs McCabe have been identified. Some of these people had moved on when i joined and some like Dessie Homes [sitting at the front] appeared now and then, I think the interest may have been other than badminton.The club hand two team's in the leagues[1st and 2nd's] and when i made 4th gent on the 2nd team the lady sitting in front of and slightly left of Bob Tate was my mixed doubles partner and sadly i'cant remember her name. Can i plead dementia. Donaghaguy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:19 am 

Alan Tate (later married to Babs Williamson) is sitting directly behind her.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:52 am 

Hello dukestree to answer your question:

Would that be Dominic O'Hare half hidden by Mrs. Murray?

Its definitely Dominic O'Hare (he's my Uncle) and he's half-hidden behind a lady...but I don't know if it's Mrs Murray.
Could it be his wife, nurse Bridget Brogan ? They married in 1959, so he'd have been single and ready to mingle at the badminton club ! The lady beside Dominic, tete-a-tete, also looks a bit like nurse Brogan. Anybody know for sure ?

Colum O'Hare