oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:55 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:56 pm 

Another photo, this time taken from the cover of 'Old Warrenpoint and Rostrevor' by Alex Young and Tommy O'Hanlon, Stenlake Publishing. An excellent book published in 2003 and well worth tracking down.

'Built in the 1850's to cater for passengers coming and going on the newly opened railway, Charlie Lavery's pub stood on North Quay by Warrenpoint's Newry Street, and it is seen here prior to the First World War. The family also had public houses in Newry, Lurgan and Belfast. Brendan Fegan took over in 1963, and, with the railway still operating (just!), renamed the premises the First and Last. The John Power & Son advertisment is gone from the chimney head, but sales of their whiskey across the bar are still reflected in a large 'John Power's' mirror.'

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:30 pm 

Presumably this was in the ownership of the same Lavery family that still own Laverys in Bradbury Place in Belfast or am I barking up the wrong tree. I know they used to own a string of bars years ago but I had gathered they were mostly in Belfast and were all sold off over the years. If this is so then is there a reason why they bought a Pub in Warrenpoint ( Did they come from down here?) or was it simply bought up as part of their expanding empire? Do they have a local connection?

The current owners of Laverys in Belfast are Charlie and Pat Lavery and they would be Grandsons of the original Charlie ( Or Perhaps there was another Charlie who was their great grandfather ?) who had four sons Tom ( Father of the current Charlie), Patsy (Father of Pat), Charlie and Donal.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:27 pm 

Does anyone know if this Charlie Lavery who owned Lavery's Bar is part of the same Lavery family which ownd the current Belfast Lavery's Bar?
Or what happened to the Warrenpoint Charlie Lavery? I believe he had a son, Charlie Jr, and two daughters, who would be my father's cousins. But I have no knowledge of them now.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:30 pm 

GeorgyBoy wrote:
Does anyone know if this Charlie Lavery who owned Lavery's Bar is part of the same Lavery family which ownd the current Belfast Lavery's Bar?
Or what happened to the Warrenpoint Charlie Lavery? I believe he had a son, Charlie Jr, and two daughters, who would be my father's cousins. But I have no knowledge of them now.

Please see http://www.oldwarrenpointforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9797&p=92931

Regards
Jim

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:06 am 

My family own Laverys .The family I believe came from Dromara in co. down , where up to recently there was a Laverys pub . Tommy came to Belfast circa 1860 . We have gone up and down over the years . I was called after a childless uncle who died two years before i was born in 1938 . Your photos are great [ my grandchildren found them ] No one in our family seems to know about pub in warenpoint but it seems logical that it is connected with Dromara will try to find out more .Charlie Lavery

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:50 am 

Here's some information I found on the famous Laverys :

History from Headstones
Graveyard Name : Friar's Bush
County : Antrim
Civil Parish : Shankill
Town / Townland : Belfast
Family burial place of Thomas Lavery
Erected by Thornas Lavery in memory of his daughter Anna Josephine Lavery who died 3rd April 1901 aged 8 years Also Sarah Kate & Josephine who died infants His grand-daughter Margaret Veronica Lavery who died 19th August 1901 aged 9 months His daughter Mary Elizabeth MARSH who died 25th June 1905 aged 30 years Also his dearly beloved wife Margaret who died 16th August 1914 Also the above named Thornas Lavery who died 27th March 1917 aged 72 years
Sweet Heart of Jesus, have mercy on them
Other Information :
Monument secured to south wall in high railing

Thomas Lavery founded what was to become the well known firm of publicans, Lavery Ltd when he started as a spirit dealer at 13 Corporation Square in about 1867 By 1870 he had acquired James Dogherty's public house at 73 May Street beside St George's Market; in 1893 he bought additional premises, the McGrath Tavern at 17 [subsequently renumbered 45, then 39] May Street, where the firm remained until the building was destroyed in 1971 The premises at no 73 passed out of the family in the 1950s The firm is still in existence at 12-14 Bradbury Place

Thomas was the son of John Lavery and Eliza Gorman from Dromara. John died 7th May 1884 and has a Will published on PRONI where he mentions his son, Thomas (born 9th October 1845) and his twin sister, Mary amongst other children.

Avery's Pub in Dromara has been a well known watering hole over the decades. I'm sad to hear it's closed.

Regards,
Colum O'Hare

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:14 pm 

I have this book,I am near sure I seen it in costcutter in Rostrevor still for sale.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:32 pm 

Very interesting Colum.

I've always meant to visit Friar's Bush graveyard.

I must check out the locations of those pubs around May St/St Georges.