oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:21 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:08 am 

Warrenpoint Rostrevor late 60's

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 591.85 KiB | Viewed 2985 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 852.28 KiB | Viewed 2985 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 460.27 KiB | Viewed 2985 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Excellent thanks :--)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:14 pm 

Really great pictures........look at George Goucher and Rita Boylan's shops in the picture of Queen St :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:28 am 

Great pictures. I suppose nobody knows the identity of the young lad outside Rita's shop?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:54 am 

Easy parking in Queen st. back then !

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:41 am 

Great photos that's the point I remember growing up in :-):-) :-):-) :--)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:20 pm 

Great photos.
Lovely to see the Crown Hotel
in all it's glory.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:28 pm 

Can anyone recall the shop on the baths side of Rita's.( Rita's shop was renovated and opened in the mid 50's by a family called Robinson , who came to live in Warrenpoint from the Armagh area. Henry Robinson and his 2 sisters, Edith and ,I think , May)
I enjoyed the Dobsons Icecream which was supplied by a delivery man called Wilfred Harper ( who lived in Annalong)
My recollection is of a small shop( now East Coast Adventure.) which was a very small watchmaker establishment run by a Mr Henderson.
I think he may have lived close to Clonallan Church in the house subsequently inhabited by the late Charles Houston.
It will be interesting to see if there is any feedback. I reckon it could have been the mid 50's.
It may have preceded the opening of ,or operated at the time of 'Tick-Tock' Morrow who operated in a little shop in Newry Street adjoining Hugh O'Hare the Bookmakers.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:26 pm 

Strangely enough whenever I was
looking at the photo, I was thinking
of a little Ice Cream Shop.
Couldn't think of the Robinson name,
but remember them selling the
Dobson Ice Cream.
We would go over from the Baths,
and get an Ice Lolly there.
We were sneaky then, because you could
get a free one, if you picked out the
right one.
Usually the wrapper that had no colouring
of the lolly on one side, you knew there was a
paper in it, saying you get one free.
Mr Robinson got to know we were looking
through them, and that wasn't allowed.
Do you remember that?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:25 pm 

The shop was later called The Magnet (i think) run by a Miss Kelly and was more a bakery than a sweet shop as we knew them then. The photo is from about 1972.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:26 pm 

Jacana wrote:
Can anyone recall the shop on the baths side of Rita's.( Rita's shop was renovated and opened in the mid 50's by a family called Robinson , who came to live in Warrenpoint from the Armagh area. Henry Robinson and his 2 sisters, Edith and ,I think , May)
I enjoyed the Dobsons Icecream which was supplied by a delivery man called Wilfred Harper ( who lived in Annalong)
My recollection is of a small shop( now East Coast Adventure.) which was a very small watchmaker establishment run by a Mr Henderson.
I think he may have lived close to Clonallan Church in the house subsequently inhabited by the late Charles Houston.
It will be interesting to see if there is any feedback. I reckon it could have been the mid 50's.
It may have preceded the opening of ,or operated at the time of 'Tick-Tock' Morrow who operated in a little shop in Newry Street adjoining Hugh O'Hare the Bookmakers.

Mummy can't remember Henderson's being in the small shop in Queen St,but still thinks she can remember a jeweller's in the building now owned by Walsh's Chemist.She says it was very old fashioned...like something from a Charles Dickens novel,and was run by an old man called Mr Hickey.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:01 pm 

Great for the feed back !!
From recollection, Rita Boylan moved next door to the shop previously owned by George Goucher.
The 'Magnet' which was run by Miss Kelly was the little shop that I referred to as Mr Henderson (the watchmaker).
I think Miss Kelly came back to Warrenpoint from Liverpool and was related to Kevin Grant and the late Peter
Gerry Heatley took over Robinson's shop and operated for a while prior to buying The Tuck Shop from Mr Mc Anoy and his sister. ( They moved to Newry and took over a shop in Monaghan Street Newry.....it could possibly have been Monaghan St Post Office...not sure.) I also think it was Gerry Heatley who converted the premises into a shop which subsequently became George Martin's and then George Goucher's . On selling to George Martin , Gerry Heatley moved next door into Robinson's.
George Martin ,originally from Rostrevor, also was a bus driver for UTA. When George Martin purchased he was not permitted to sell confectionery and it traded as a small grocery outlet rather than a confectionery shop.
Then Ita Slevin came on the scene and this could have been when Rita Boylan moved next door.
I can not recall the name of the gentleman who occupied the house on the corner in the 50/60's. ( Now Hair Graphics)
They had a school teacher who resided with them. Miss McLaughlin was a primary school teacher in Dromore Road Primary school. She taught in the school from approx 1925/1926 and left in in the late 1950's.
Hopefully this will get a few more memories jogged!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:06 pm 

Re Joanne's comment.
The premises occupied by Walshes Chemist was the The Medical Hall.
This was a pharmacy operated by Mr & Mrs Murphy. I recall they had a daughter called Ann, who I think now lives in Scotland.
The name "Hickey" does ring some bells but I will need to research a bit more

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:37 pm 

Just a thought !!!!
There was a shop in Church Street located between Mick McCarthy's fish shop and the Medical Hall called the Vitamin Stores.
Perhaps this was the location of Hickey's jewellery shop. From previous mention on the Forum the address pertaining to Hickeys is recorded as No.25 Church Street..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:04 am 

Before Ita Slevin the shop was owned by people from Whitecross area (Seamus Mc Combe)? he worked in the shop i know that much because i crashed his Morris van in the lane behind the shop :-( .@ Joanne i think Seamus was related to the fella Magee also from Whitecross who was mates with Boris and the O Hare brothers East st. Mr (Frosty) Gordon lived in what is now hair graphics. ;--)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:41 am 

Once you turned the corner from Queen Street onto Seaview, the first house was Frosty Gordon and the second house was Miss Owens. These 2 houses were not as tall as the house on the corner. Frosty's and Miss Owens houses were both demolished and an apartment block was built on the 2 sites.. ( called Seaview Apartments)
Frosty used to drive a little green Morris "Shooting Brake" estate car. He was a salesman for SD Bells tea company.
Off the lane way ,to which you refer, the 'Turk' White used to store the oars and rowlocks in a little shed belonging to either Frosty or Miss Owens.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:12 am 

It is so good to see people getting involved in this forum again,thank you so much for your memories Jacana,when one person brings up a memory it tends to trigger memories in others.
I will have to ask mummy again about the jewellers,but she was adamant it was in the large shop owned by Walsh's now.She did say it was before James Murphy opened the medical hall,but she may be mistaken.She also spoke about James Murphy having a great sense of humour....he used to call in at panto practices and get the principals to hold rehearsals in the large room above the shop.

Gap,was that Seamus McComb around our age?..and the Magee you mentioned is Finbarr,he is now a singer/songwriter,but is also a qualified doctor.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:43 am 

Gap,was that Seamus McComb around our age?..and the Magee you mentioned is Finbarr,he is now a singer/songwriter,but is also a qualified doctor.

:-):-) :--)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:23 pm 

Hickey was a jeweller prior to James Murphy moving from the corner of Duke St./ Charles St. who named it the Medical Hall . In those days the shop had a large glass & ornate cast iron canopy projecting over the footpath. Mr. Henderson was a watchmaker at the bottom of Queens St.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:47 pm 

Joanne your mum is quite right, Hickey ,the jeweller was in the shop, and then taken by Mr Murphy the chemist and now occupied by Walsh's . When Mr Hickey had the shop there was a large wrought iron glass topped ornate canopy which stretched out to the edge of the footpath, Mr Murphy previously had his shop in the square at the corner of Duke Street and Charlotte Street.
The shops from Kings Lane to the town hall were owned by
John Cunningham's pub
Mick McCarthey fish shop
O'hares vitamin store
Hickey's jewellers
Masie Oneills
Town Hall

a little bit more history

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:18 pm 

I only ever remember Murphy's Chemist
being where Walsh's is now.
Was this in the late 40's or early 50's
before they moved there.

They were a lovely Family.
I know they had a daughter Ann,
the name of the Son escapes
me at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:37 pm 

I think 'Kinnard' may be able to help with the name of Mr Murphy' son.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This post will help ;)

http://www.oldwarrenpointforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9317&p=89792

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:00 pm 

I bet you knew this was here all along and just let us ramble on for a while Brian ;) .What intrigues me about this latest bit of information is the fact that Mr Hickey died in 1939,and Mummy remembers him, and the shop...yet,although she was born in Charlotte St,she lived in London until war was declared(Sept 1939),when her Father knew he would be called up,having previously served in the royal Navy,and he sent his wife Martha and two children back to Warrenpoint to live with relatives.
I suppose she would have spent quite a bit of time here on holiday before that though.I must ask her tomorrow .

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:07 pm 

Ann was the name of the daughter she died in Scotland about 10/11 years ago the sons name was Bing not sure if that was his real name the last i heard he lived down south around Co Kildare.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:12 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I knew it was there, but it was my mum who mentioned it yesterday prompting me to dig it out :D the search function is good (when it works) :rotfl: :bad computer:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:32 am 

Kinnard - so sorry to hear Ann had died.

I must ask my sister, she would know
if that was his real name or not.

I think they would be around the same age.

Mr. Murphy was such a nice man, always
smiling whenever you went in there.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:39 am 

Another pic from that time.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 775.7 KiB | Viewed 2458 times ]