Golf Club Winning Teams 1987

All sports club articles and pictures, anything related to sport.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
greengreengrass
Member
Member
Posts: 1879
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:47 pm
Location: Warrenpoint

Golf Club Winning Teams 1987

#1 Post by greengreengrass » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:05 pm

Image
Thought these photos would jog a few memories after last week's successes in Cork. Congratulations to all concerned :clapping:

User avatar
whitestar
Member
Member
Posts: 2636
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:17 am
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Golf Club Winning Teams 1987

#2 Post by whitestar » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:51 pm

I'm sure Brian ( and yourself) would have been very proud of the picture on the top RIght GGG ...... Aussie Chef keeping up the family tradition of great golfers. :-):-) ( I see Brian Magee in that same team).

first picture: Danny Parr ( GREAT golfer Danny)... along with all-round sports great Jimmy Carville, Paddy Gribben and Ian Wright in there also and ? Hogg hoding the cup ( forget his first name). That looks very like Niall Smyth standing beside Jimmy carville - but I don't think he would have played golf for the 'Point ;--)

Ian Wright again in the bottom left picture, along with Greg Campbell kneeling botton left, chico McCann's brother helping to hold the pennant and Frankie Durkin's son with the glasses.

Is that Seamy Carr standing back left in the last picture ?.. with Sean Campbell in the middle, looks like one of the McGiverns holding the blue pennant.


I was talking to Danny Parr when we were home a few months ago.... he was talking seriously about trying to qualify for the Senior tour...would love to see him make it, real nice guy Danny and certainly one of the very best golfers to come out of the 'Point golf club.

User avatar
SandyBottom
Member
Member
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:49 pm

Re: Golf Club Winning Teams 1987

#3 Post by SandyBottom » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:59 pm

Think your on the BourBon Whitestar.
whitestar wrote:first picture: Danny Parr ( GREAT golfer Danny)... along with all-round sports great Jimmy Carville, Paddy Gribben and Ian Wright in there also and ? Hogg hoding the cup ( forget his first name). That looks very like Niall Smyth standing beside Jimmy carville - but I don't think he would have played golf for the 'Point ;--)

Ian Wright again in the bottom left picture, along with Greg Campbell kneeling botton left, chico McCann's brother helping to hold the pennant and Frankie Durkin's son with the glasses.

Is that Seamy Carr standing back left in the last picture ?.. with Sean Campbell in the middle, looks like one of the McGiverns holding the blue pennant.
? Hogg holding the cup is actually Rory McShane who has captained all 3 Snr Cup Winning teams - 1987 1990 & 2008 (see you in court WS)
"Niall Smyth standing beside Jimmy carville" - is Gary McNeill who eventually turned pro and worked in RCD.
"chico McCann's brother helping to hold the pennant " - Not Chippy but Hugh Byrne holding pennant with Cyril Blakely
Not Seamy Carr, but Gary McNeill again, and Eddie Barr is holding the Blue pennant. (Blue for provincial title, green for All Ireland)

Congratulations to the Senior Cup this year on their 3rd title and commiseration to the Pierce Purcell team beaten in the final.

User avatar
greengreengrass
Member
Member
Posts: 1879
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:47 pm
Location: Warrenpoint

Re: Golf Club Winning Teams 1987

#4 Post by greengreengrass » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:34 pm

Think it's more being 'out of the loop' for such a long time for whitestar rather than 'hitting the bourbon' SandyBottom, after all it's only mid afternoon in Florida!!
Heard Rory McShane on local radio this morning, a great win for Warrenpoint, and as you say, the Pierce Purcell did very well claiming silver.
I remember '87 like it was yesterday, mind you I can't remember yesterday very well, but apparently that's all part of the growing old process which I resent greatly and am having difficulty coming to terms with, but that's another story!
Have to say I don't know Hugh Byrne who's holding the pennant with Cyril but in defence of whitestar I must say in profile he looks remarkably like Chippy McCann!
Eddie Barr is alive and well and playing some great golf these days. I spent some time with him and his lovely wife Liesel in Brisbane earlier this year. Eddie is currently leading the Queensland Sunshine Circuit but will miss quite a few tournaments while he's in France having a crack at the first stage of the European PGA Qualifying Tour. Hopefully he'll get back for stage two which I think is in Portugal next month.
And yes whitestar, we were very proud of Bryan Jnr when he got a Pierce Purcell Gold Medal in 1987 when he was just 17. Sadly he didn't stick at the game long enough to realise his full potential and only plays occasionally now.

User avatar
bornandbred
Member
Member
Posts: 3568
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Warrenpoint

Re: Golf Club Winning Teams 1987

#5 Post by bornandbred » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:07 pm

greengreengrass wrote:Eddie Barr is alive and well and playing some great golf these days. I spent some time with him and his lovely wife Liesel in Brisbane earlier this year.
You sure do get around, GGG! Will you be in the 'Point for long?? :D

User avatar
greengreengrass
Member
Member
Posts: 1879
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:47 pm
Location: Warrenpoint

Re: Golf Club Winning Teams 1987

#6 Post by greengreengrass » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:35 pm

="bornandbred"]

You sure do get around, GGG! Will you be in the 'Point for long?? :D[/quote]

Hi bornanbred, greetings from Tullamore!!! Have spent the past hour trying to get a connection on this stupid notebook but finally succeeded. Have to watch now what I'm writing or the 'big guns' will be giving out to me if I make a mistake. Anyway, not too far away at the moment, mind you, I wouldn't mind being back in Oz, specially at this time of the year! :beach:

User avatar
SandyBottom
Member
Member
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:49 pm

Re: Golf Club Winning Teams 1987

#7 Post by SandyBottom » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:19 pm

greengreengrass wrote:Think it's more being 'out of the loop' for such a long time for whitestar rather than 'hitting the bourbon'
I think you are right GGG - and to be fair Hugh Byrne does look a lot like Chippy in this photo, as does Rory McShane look a lot like Billy Hogg - benefit of doubt to WhiteStar.

GGG the good news is that Eddie made it through in France and returned to hold onto his No 1 spot in his home tour. Eddie now joins another local in Barrie Trainor at the 2nd stage in the first week of Nov in Spain, with the finals the following week.
:-):-) :-):-)

Bryan Jnr sure had a lot of potential, and could give it a mighty trip - Warrenpoint GC has a lot to be proud off in the calibre of young players they have produced over the years - Obviously Don Patterson, Nigel Shaw and Pat Trainor have had a big influence.

User avatar
greengreengrass
Member
Member
Posts: 1879
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:47 pm
Location: Warrenpoint

Re: Golf Club Winning Teams 1987

#8 Post by greengreengrass » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:38 pm

Was reading through some old posts (one of my favourite pastimes!) and came on this one from 2008......thought I'd 'bump' it, given the great cine footage of the 1987 pro-am that warreypoint treated us to recently........it certainly was a year to remember for the golf club. :clapping:

User avatar
Doobie Brother
Member
Member
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:57 pm
Location: Donaghaguy

Re: Golf Club Winning Teams 1987

#9 Post by Doobie Brother » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:12 pm

SandyBottom wrote:Think your on the BourBon Whitestar.
whitestar wrote:first picture: Danny Parr ( GREAT golfer Danny)... along with all-round sports great Jimmy Carville, Paddy Gribben and Ian Wright in there also and ? Hogg hoding the cup ( forget his first name). That looks very like Niall Smyth standing beside Jimmy carville - but I don't think he would have played golf for the 'Point ;--)

Ian Wright again in the bottom left picture, along with Greg Campbell kneeling botton left, chico McCann's brother helping to hold the pennant and Frankie Durkin's son with the glasses.

Is that Seamy Carr standing back left in the last picture ?.. with Sean Campbell in the middle, looks like one of the McGiverns holding the blue pennant.
? Hogg holding the cup is actually Rory McShane who has captained all 3 Snr Cup Winning teams - 1987 1990 & 2008 (see you in court WS)
"Niall Smyth standing beside Jimmy carville" - is Gary McNeill who eventually turned pro and worked in RCD.
"chico McCann's brother helping to hold the pennant " - Not Chippy but Hugh Byrne holding pennant with Cyril Blakely
Not Seamy Carr, but Gary McNeill again, and Eddie Barr is holding the Blue pennant. (Blue for provincial title, green for All Ireland)

Congratulations to the Senior Cup this year on their 3rd title and commiseration to the Pierce Purcell team beaten in the final.
Have to agree with Whitestar on this one.Definitely Chippy McCann,an old neighbour and a great golfer
:cheers:

User avatar
the gap
Member
Member
Posts: 3226
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:01 pm
My real name: Art Gallagher
Location: Ostrohe GERMANY

Re: Golf Club Winning Teams 1987

#10 Post by the gap » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:50 am

It sure is Chippy :cheers2:

User avatar
SandyBottom
Member
Member
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:49 pm

Re: Golf Club Winning Teams 1987

#11 Post by SandyBottom » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:14 pm

mea culpa, mea culpa, mea máxima culpa

Chippy it IS
Thank You, Doobie Brother & The Gap for pointing this out. Was convinced it was Hugh Byrne, did not remember Chippy playing and I was at the finals.
Chippy's hairstyle at that time through me. Eyesight as well as memory going at this stage.

Checking it out - the team is listed as:
1987 Clandeboye Warrenpoint Cyril Blakley, Gregory Campbell, Aidan Durkin, Gerry Durkin, Pat McAteer, Kevin McCann, John McMahon, Robin Prescott, Seamus Ryan, Eamon Small, Ian Wright and Jim McDonnell. They were Captained by Pat Lynchehaun assisted by Michael Small.

Appears I owe WhiteStar a stiff bourbon, and Chippy a large G&T

User avatar
greengreengrass
Member
Member
Posts: 1879
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:47 pm
Location: Warrenpoint

Re: Golf Club Winning Teams 1987

#12 Post by greengreengrass » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:17 pm

I'm sure he'll hold you to that Sandybottom, the next time he's home! :|

Post Reply

Return to “Sports activities”