oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:14 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Still in use.....
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just a couple of snaps of some cabinets down in Walsh's chemist that most people would walk past without a 2nd glance.

These are cabinets that belonged to Hickey the Jeweller - a quick bit of research shows they are at least years 70 years old (probably much older) This is his obituary from 1939 posted elsewhere on site.

Quote:
Funeral of the Late John Hickey, Church Street.
---------------------------------------------------------

By the death of Mr. John Hickey on Friday last at his residence 25 Church St., Warrenpoint, the town has lost one of its most respected citizens, and one of the few remaining links with the past.
A nonagenarian, Mr. Hickey had celebrated his 90th birthday on 31st August last. He spent the greater part of his life in Warrenpoint, coming there as a young man from the South of Ireland. After a time he married Miss Lewis, daughter of the late John Lewis, proprietor of the exclusive jewellery establishment in Church St. On her father’s death his daughter continued the jewellery business, which later passed to Mr. Hickey, continuing his name in his name until a few short years ago when through the shortage of supplies and advancing age, he was forced to close down.
A prominent figure in local Masonic circles he was a member of St. John’s Masonic Lodge no. 697, Warrenpoint.
On Sunday last the funeral took place to Clonallon Cemetery and were largely attended, members of all creeds and classes joining in the final tribute.
At Warrenpoint Parish Church, a service was conducted by the Rev. George Furniss, Rector of St. Patrick’s, Newry, after which the remains were conveyed to Clonallon, where the Rev. J.N. Goulden, B.A. officiated at the committal service at the graveside.
Wreaths were from:--
The Masonic Brethren of St. John’s Masonic Lodge 697, Warrenpoint.
Members of Royal Arch Chapter, Lodge 697, Warrenpoint.
Nurse Patience.

Glad to see a bit of the towns history still in use :D

Post subject: Re: Still in use.....
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:59 pm 

I bet you knew this was here all along and just let us ramble on for a while Brian ;) .What intrigues me about this latest bit of information is the fact that Mr Hickey died in 1939,and Mummy remembers him, and the shop...yet,although she was born in Charlotte St,she lived in London until war was declared(Sept 1939),when her Father knew he would be called up,having previously served in the royal Navy,and he sent his wife Martha and two children back to Warrenpoint to live with relatives.
I suppose she would have spent quite a bit of time here on holiday before that though.I must ask her tomorrow .

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:52 am 

If only furniture could talk!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:29 pm 

I can remember Mr. Hickey (just about) but we didn't come to the Point until 1941, could that date be wrong ? ;--)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:55 am 

northbrook wrote:
I can remember Mr. Hickey (just about) but we didn't come to the Point until 1941, could that date be wrong ? ;--)

I am so glad you said that Northbrook.Mummy and I were talking about this last night and she can't figure out how she would have such strong memories of Mr Hickey if he died in 1939.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:10 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I took the date from the obituary posted posted here:

http://www.oldwarrenpointforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2906

According to that It was from the Newry Reporter - September 12th 1939 ~x(