oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:03 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Morton's Sweet shop
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:48 pm 

Jones's Hill wrote:
Is there really any point in me attempting to deny any of the aforementioned?..first time I have been rendered speechless since indulging in those gobstoppers all those years ago, indeed I am still reeling at the rather colourful imagery,and that is not Sandy's bottom I am thinking off!!.. Dippik Fourthroad could never keep quiet at the Flicks [ carried on absolutely ridiculously at Shane]..and when we went to see The Sands of Iwo Jima he second guessed every scene all the way through the film. [Fourthroad and I where big film buffs ..we even went too see Cliff in "Summer Holiday" at the Foy].the memory of Mortons "Football Chum's" resonates with me even today..HCTC I shall be at Sandy Bottom along with several other hardy annuals at 7pm precisely to meet the tide,and my modesty will be well catered for via a pair of big dog bathing trunks purchased in Newport Rhode Island and double stitched to ensure decorum no matter how sopping wet you are at all times :-O ...Oxford Brogues indeed!
I have read HCTC post for the fifth time and I am still trying to find even one small passage that I can forensically challenge and perchance discredit..I am struggling to be perfectly honest... :>

I wish i was back at the days of the Foy again they were wonderful days and the visit to Mortons shop was great. Joneshill is right i never seemed to keep quiet at the flicks it was great after a western we would set off after the flicks our aim was to free the town from the indians (still a few of them around ;) ) down church street we would go hiding in the shop doorways a quick cross of the road to look at the toy guns in Paddy Grants shop window, stop at Mary Digneys for a beech nut in the shop doorway, move on to Duke street were we would for sure meet Damain Makin and Peter Keenan playing football (well trying too :D ) these boys had to be converted to the thinking of us cowboys and they were at the end, we would call into Campbell pond for a shootout with eachother, Running past Madge Ballintines house (beside Liz) a ouick raid at granny carvills orchard and home yes we were the forth rd/ave gang ok all the WANTED posters and we never got caught we were the top cowboys. :getmecoat:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:09 am 

My two sons, who are now both in their 40's, often enjoyed visits to Mortons when they were little and on holiday at Warrenpoint, but reading the Death Notices in the Belfast Telegraph on Tuesday night reminded me of another exactley similar shop to Mortons which i visited often. I read in the Telegraph of a Dr Tom Hagan whose funeral will take place in the Finaghy area of Belfast . In the 1950's and 1960's this man was a GP in Newry but the sweet connection was a little shop on Hill Street just before you arrived at the Town Hall. It was run by Dr Hagan's two sisters and like Morton's was an Aladins cave to any child and even adults. These two ladies were middle aged and Christians and did not tolerate bad behaviour or language in the shop. I first "discovered" this shop when I went to Newry Tech, which at that time was located in that beautiful old building on Bank Parade. I frequented that shop until i left the area in 1960.
Donaghaguy[Wim]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:24 pm 

Theres ashop in Bangor does all the sweet u all talking about its heaven .

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:35 pm 

fourthroad wrote:
We were the top cowboys. :getmecoat:

fourth road & gang...................You certainly were :)) :))

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:55 am 

Is that little sweet shop on Hill St new? It's been so long since I've been anywhere other than the shopping centres that it might have been there forever but I walked down that way yesterday with my son and went in. It was like going back in time - do you remember puff candy, chocolate tools, toffee logs, spearmint pips...they have all those! :shocked:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:25 pm 

Marion wrote:
Is that little sweet shop on Hill St new? It's been so long since I've been anywhere other than the shopping centres that it might have been there forever but I walked down that way yesterday with my son and went in. It was like going back in time - do you remember puff candy, chocolate tools, toffee logs, spearmint pips...they have all those! :shocked:

You may want to check the expiration date on them Marion - just to make sure they aren't from Morton's :rotfl:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:45 pm 

Marion wrote:

Marion.......I have just come back from Newry and walked down Hill St for the first time in ages.I noticed that sweet shop too,it's just up from Carlins.I think there may have been a shoe shop there until recently ;--)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:56 pm 

I had the pleasure of visiting this shop
when I was on holidays.
Candies are in jars, and they weigh
them out to your liking.
I think the girl said it has been
opened about a year, and that they
were doing very well.
The day I was there it was very busy,
and it's not that big.
Maybe a numbering system wouldn't be a
bad idea coming up to Christmas.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:22 pm 

joanne wrote:
Marion wrote:

Marion.......I have just come back from Newry and walked down Hill St for the first time in ages.I noticed that sweet shop too,it's just up from Carlins.I think there may have been a shoe shop there until recently ;--)

I call into this shop at times its great they have the lot from clove rock to lucky mines only problem now is the teeth not able to crunch as much ;) ;) :--)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:20 pm 

Am I imagining it or did the lucky mines used to have money in them? ;--)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:43 pm 

Hi folks its good to see there is still a little sweet shop in Newry, the part of the town i knew well was Hill Street from the clock up to the Town Hall. Going up the street on the right was Gerry Orr's jewellers, Turkingtons gents outfitters, the Shelbourne Cafe, Wilson Radcliffe's shop where i worked, Connors the chemists, the Daisy Hill Nurseries Shop and round the corner in Erskine Street Kerr and McCullaghs hardware store. On the other side of Hill Street was Martin Nesbitt and Irwins, Kennedy's shoe shop, I think Leesons ladies clothes shop and then i think the Miss O'Hagen's little sweet shop just before you went foward to the Town Hall.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:51 pm 

Before someone starts complaining that this is the old Warrenpoint Forum and not Newry let me claim that little bit of Newry for Warrenpoint. Gerry Orr lived on the Burren Road I lived at the Waterworks, Hunter Seith the dentist[also from Warrenpoint] had his surgery above Connors Chemists and the late Eileen McCoy[nee Finney] worked in what i believe was Leesons clothes shop[hope i got that shop name right]. Also i believe that Kennedys shoe shop was owned by a family from down our way, the daughter worked in the shop but was a little stuck up or maybe she did not like me whistling across the street at her.
Donaghaguy[Wim]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:36 pm 

Liz wrote:

You're not imagining it Liz.............or at least the story was that some lucky mines would contain a penny!!!.....but no-one I knew ever found one!
I remember asking Mrs.Magill countless times to always to give me the biggest ones ^-) !
They varied in size and some would obviously not be big enough to contain a penny!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:12 am 

Donaghaguy wrote:
Hi folks its good to see there is still a little sweet shop in Newry, the part of the town i knew well was Hill Street from the clock up to the Town Hall. Going up the street on the right was Gerry Orr's jewellers, Turkingtons gents outfitters, the Shelbourne Cafe, Wilson Radcliffe's shop where i worked, Connors the chemists, the Daisy Hill Nurseries Shop and round the corner in Erskine Street Kerr and McCullaghs hardware store. On the other side of Hill Street was Martin Nesbitt and Irwins, Kennedy's shoe shop, I think Leesons ladies clothes shop and then i think the Miss O'Hagen's little sweet shop just before you went foward to the Town Hall.

:--) Just one wee slip up Donaghaguy.......................the street in front of the Town/City Hall is Kildare St.Erskine St is off Canal St. :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:37 am 

Joanne you are right with the name of the street and i should have mentioned going on up Kildare Street to where the traffic lights are now at the Stone Bridge and Poole's Home bakery was on the corner, boy i can still smell the buns.
Donaghaguy[Wim]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:40 am 

And not forgetting Lockarts Donaghaguy where you bought your Meccano sets and Dinky cars...................wish I still had them............

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:40 am 

They'd be worth quite a few bob now I guess!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:33 pm 

Only if you keep them in the box and never play with them......what`s the point ?

Did you spot Brian in the 1948 Post ? .................................................

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:19 pm 

whitestar wrote:
Marion wrote:

You may want to check the expiration date on them Marion - just to make sure they aren't from Morton's :rotfl:

Indeed Whitestar!!! :rotfl:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:21 pm 

joanne wrote:

Yep, I think someone told me a shoe shop had shut down on Hill St so you are probably right there Joanne.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:48 pm 

Marion wrote:

Paid a visit myself one day....very scary prices!!......certainly not olde time!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:38 pm 

Ah Northbrook, Dinky toys how could i forget Lockharts, I had a large collection of them but the Mammy in her wisdom gave them away to other kids when i started working, probably cost me a fortune.
By the way I know the clock is long gone but what about the big teapot, is it still there and who can remember the name of the company whose wall it was mounted on at the corner of North Street.
Donaghaguy[Wim]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:05 pm 

We`re seriously getting off topic here, hope Brian doesn`t mind.................I posted this some time ago............

Quote:
A snippet of history regarding the Golden Teapot and it`s maker............................................

The Golden Teapot in Newry was made by my grandmothers second husband John McParland tin smith of Newry, his workshop was on the Mall..........they had one son Robert (Bobby) and lived in Cosgrove Cottage in Post Office Street,
they later moved to East St, where the SDLP offices`s are now situated, after a few years they moved to Flurry Bridge House (the old RIC barracks) and opened a small hotel, My grandmother Isabella Tohill/McParland died in 1944 and John died the following year............In later years Bobby McParland was invited to the unfurling of the refurbished Golden Teapot.............................................................

Last edited by Brian on Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fixed link to quote (minor glitch - still working on it)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just going a little off topic there chaps :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:46 pm 

Oops, sorry about that.now back to Mortons .....................

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:00 am 

Eugene wrote:
Paid a visit myself one day....very scary prices!!......certainly not olde time!!

Really Eugene? :shocked: I was just passing time sauntering down Hill Street as I was early for an appointment so I didn't even look at the prices - perhaps I shouldn't have been in such a hurry to take the kids there as I said we'd go after the transfer test at the Abbey next Saturday!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:04 pm 

Eugene wrote:
Liz wrote:

You're not imagining it Liz.............or at least the story was that some lucky mines would contain a penny!!!.....but no-one I knew ever found one!

I did Eugene :-):-) but then maybe I just bought that many that the chances were I'd find one sooner or later.........no wonder my teeth give me problems nowadays ;) :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:49 am 

I can still remember finding a half penny in a pink lucky mine in Magill's shop when I was at primary school. I promptly used the money to buy another one (bit like buying another lottery scratch card with your winnings today I suppose!)

Like you Liz I must have bought loads of lucky mines so I was bound to come across one sooner or later, but I still felt like Charlie Bucket finding the golden ticket that day... :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:24 am 

Well done Liz & Marion.........lucky little treasure hunters!!
I wasnt so lucky with the mines.......but always got the ring in the halloween apple tart! (Were these actually curtain rings?!)!
I remember getting one jammed so tightly on my finger that it swelled to a frightening size and took the combined efforts of 3 St.peters teachers to get it off!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:20 pm 

Eugene - the little things that gave us
so much joy as children. :D
Glad you got the ring off.
My mom would put money in the pie,
I think it may have been a sixpence,
and that was a joy to find it.
I did it for my children and they loved
it. :--)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next