oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:32 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Morton's Sweet shop
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:38 am 

Marion wrote:
but I lost it years ago :[

The recipe - not the plot ... :-c

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:41 pm 

i always thought it wuz the best shop near home, lve this shop and the fudge to die for i get fudge made for me every xmas lve it but mortons wuz creamy
:you ejit: colour,and lve pick al the types pf sweets............good memories.......... :> :> sweet peanut wuz a favour
Marion wrote:
June Morton gave me the recipe for that fudge and it turned out almost as nice as theirs but I lost it years ago :[
ite ahhh see if you can find it marion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:17 pm 

Sorry grainne40 (are you Antoinette's sister by the way?)....there's absolutley no way i'd be able to find it as the last time i used the recipe I was still at school and living in my parents - that's a long time ago now! All I remember is lots of granulated sugar and condensed milk but i guess all fudge recipes have those in them... :P

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

well..... Grace Morton and my aunt Nellie (Billy McCabe's wife) used to swap recipes, and obviously my Gran swapped them with her, so I would imagine the one we have here is the same as the one used back then. I'll dig it out and post it :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:43 am 

Brian wrote:
well..... Grace Morton and my aunt Nellie (Billy McCabe's wife) used to swap recipes, and obviously my Gran swapped them with her, so I would imagine the one we have here is the same as the one used back then. I'll dig it out and post it :D
\\\\....dont suppose your Gran or aunt nellie happened to get the recipe for Joe Duffy's pies while they were at it ;) :))

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:51 pm 

Rileys Toffee Rolls..Chocolate covered toffees in a reddish-brown wrapper...mmmmmm :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:57 pm 

herecomestheCONGO wrote:
Rileys Toffee Rolls..Chocolate covered toffees in a reddish-brown wrapper...mmmmmm :D

Found a web site called sweets2.co.uk and it seems you are not the only one looking for some of those but apparently you will be out of luck as this this site indicates they can no longer be found :[

------------------------------

'Riley's Chocolate Toffee Rolls

Riley's Toffees

Halifax confectionery manufacturer.Riley Brothers (Halifax) Limited, founded by Fred Riley and his brother J. H. Riley in 1907. The company was famous for its Toffee Rolls which came in 7 flavours: original creamy, fig, date, liquorice, golden cream, rum & butter, and mint & butter.

The works were originally in the family home until the factory moved to the Kingston Toffee Mills in Hopwood Lane in 1911. The mill was famous for its 120 ft high chimney with the company's name picked out in glazed white bricks, each letter being almost 7 ft tall
When J. H. Riley died in 1953, the company was bought by Nuttall's.
It was subsequently bought by the Guinness Group and then by Callard & Bowser, and in 1988 by United Biscuits / McVities

---------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:48 pm 

yes marion she my big sister, :-(

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:50 pm 

Brian wrote:

that would be grat brian happy days :genius:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:12 pm 

grainne40 wrote:
yes marion she my big sister, :-(

I see - so she appear's in the same photos as me on here!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:04 pm 

Morton's shop in Queen Street was previously the Shaws ( son was Eric who worked in the Box Factory in the sixties) - I'm not too sure if and when it was ever open for business.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:24 pm 

i think the late Eric Shaw was related to Charlie Pedlow, Eric's mother may have been a Pedlow.
The Pedlow's were a prominent family in the town just prior to WW1, Pedlow's Emporium in the Square was part of their family business. I think Charlie Pedlow's father was a local counciller for many years.
Any idea what year Charlie died? :)] :)]

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:52 pm 

Dukestreet - Charlie Pedlow was indeed an uncle of
Eric Shaw's.
Sorry don't remember what year he died.
I remember Shaw's having the sweet shop in
Queen St. Don't know how long it was
opened before Morton's took over.
Eric Shaw (RIP) was a perfect gentleman.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:01 pm 

I was 'taken' on a blind date by my uncle Billly and aunt Nelly to the Great Northern Hotel - before it was burned down - to a formal dinner dance. My 'date' was Beth Morton. That was probably the last time I saw her. Don't think there were enough sparks to cause that fire!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:15 pm 

Liz wrote:
Cooter48 wrote:
Has anyone mentioned Drum sticks and another sweet thats name I cant think of they where little small sweet that look like stones where purple and tasted of perfume YUK I hated them :rotfl:

Were they Parma Violets by any chance, I quite liked them :-c

Were they not 'Perfume bonbons'?.....They were gorgeous

What about the 'Big Chief'....chew on a stick...out the same time as the 'Fizzy Lizzy'

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:06 am 

Deirdre 2 wrote:
Liz wrote:
Cooter48 wrote:
Has anyone mentioned Drum sticks and another sweet thats name I cant think of they where little small sweet that look like stones where purple and tasted of perfume YUK I hated them :r
otfl:

Were they Parma Violets by any chance, I quite liked them :-c

Were they not 'Perfume bonbons'?.....They were gorgeous

The little tiny ones were Parma Violets I think, but there were other bigger, hard sweets with a 'perfumey' taste also and they were the perfume bon bons...though I think there was another name for them!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:35 pm 

Found this tonight stuck on to the W.V. Hogg brochure, when Morton's was for sale around '87 or '88. We thought about buying it as there was a very large back to it and room for a playgroup building. Thought it might bring back all the 'sweet' memories!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah brilliant :D Just as I remember it - I can almost hear that bell above the door now, and watching for Grace or June to appear from the back room :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:57 pm 

GGG a brilliant picture , and your right about the sweet memories my taste buds have just gone into overdrive. :rotfl:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:03 am 

ggg - lovely photo of Morton's shop.
I do remember going in there but I can't
remember the owners.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:15 am 

Brian wrote:
Ah brilliant :D Just as I remember it - I can almost hear that bell above the door now, and watching for Grace or June to appear from the back room :D

Same here Brian.............Warrenpoint's answer to Willie Wonka's factory @-->>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:31 am 

Thanks for posting the picture. Like Brian I too can remember the bell above the door and one of the two women appearing from the back room. I also remember in the summer months when the weather wa good you would find June sitting out on the small wall with a rug over the wall trying to get as much of the sunshine as she could that was in between running in and out to serve the customers.
One good by in those days was their sliders tehy were blocks of HB icecream which June divided up in wafer segments, they always seem to be bigger from them than anyone else in the town.
They were good days.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:25 pm 

I would always buy a packet of spangles.....they lasted a long time and I really liked the black ones..and then the red, then the green.....Morton's always had if I remember, very different sweets and chocolate... big Brazil nuts and chocolate truffles
but they weighed heavy .so cost more to buy. Think mummy used to buy chocolate rum truffles as a treat :--)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:15 pm 

Brian wrote:
I can almost hear that bell above the door now,

Thats exactly what I was thinking also..and as you pushed open the door by the two bars you were hit a whole collection of confectionary smells coming out at you...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:16 pm 

herecomestheCONGO wrote:
Brian wrote:

Thats exactly what I was thinking also..and as you pushed open the door by the two bars you were hit a whole collection of confectionary smells coming out at you...

Yep me too and Fred standing behind the counter, this shop was the forth rd/ave gangs stop on way to the saturday matniee now they were the days. Congo joneshill once told me you were the main buyer of the gob stoppers in this shop :thumbs: :thumbs:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:23 pm 

fourthroad wrote:
herecomestheCONGO wrote:
Brian wrote:

Yep me too and Fred standing behind the counter, this shop was the forth rd/ave gangs stop on way to the saturday matniee now they were the days. Congo joneshill once told me you were the main buyer of the gob stoppers in this shop :thumbs: :thumbs:

And boy do i wish he could still buy them :rotfl: :rotfl: :getmecoat: :--)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:27 pm 

Forthroad at least you wern"t to blame for talking through the film. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:21 pm 

fourthroad wrote:
Congo joneshill once told me you were the main buyer of the gob stoppers in this shop

I forgot that fourthroad!...but he strangely elected NOT to tell you that he was quite fond of them himself...I can actually remember the Saturday afternoon that I came across "The Hillock" (just returning from his now ritual dip at Sandy Bottom), rushing out of Mortons grasping an orange flavoured Tip-Top and a white paperbag full of Gobstoppers, he was obviously running against the clock to make it into the Matinee before 3 bells AND make it into Mortons so intelligently enough had rolled his trousers and socks into his beach towel, leaving him with only his favoured Leeds Utd speedo-type togs on to save his posterity, which also quite tastefully had the club crest emblazened right across his backside, with the "L" and the "S" considerably smaller than the rest of the letters! Added to that were his old untied pair of Oxfords (which I think he still wears to take him down to the water over all those nasty sharp stones)...anyway back to the tale...he had all but passed me in his haste, but suddenly stopped in his tracks..as we all know never the one to miss an opportunity and said..."ITS LUCKY I WAAAS in there before you to get that last batch of Gobstoppers kid!" And off he scuttled full of mirth at his little quip!! What a guy that Joneshill is.......

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:53 pm 

Is there really any point in me attempting to deny any of the aforementioned?..first time I have been rendered speechless since indulging in those gobstoppers all those years ago, indeed I am still reeling at the rather colourful imagery,and that is not Sandy's bottom I am thinking off!!.. Dippik Fourthroad could never keep quiet at the Flicks [ carried on absolutely ridiculously at Shane]..and when we went to see The Sands of Iwo Jima he second guessed every scene all the way through the film. [Fourthroad and I where big film buffs ..we even went too see Cliff in "Summer Holiday" at the Foy].the memory of Mortons "Football Chum's" resonates with me even today..HCTC I shall be at Sandy Bottom along with several other hardy annuals at 7pm precisely to meet the tide,and my modesty will be well catered for via a pair of big dog bathing trunks purchased in Newport Rhode Island and double stitched to ensure decorum no matter how sopping wet you are at all times :-O ...Oxford Brogues indeed!
I have read HCTC post for the fifth time and I am still trying to find even one small passage that I can forensically challenge and perchance discredit..I am struggling to be perfectly honest... :>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:16 pm 

Leeds utd SPEEDO like togs....... :-O =(( :rotfl:Talking through the showing of Shane, yes a crime in it"s self.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next