oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:37 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Morton's Sweet shop
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Now that was a sweet shop! I have plenty of memories from Mortons, from when I was a nipper, to the last days when it closed and Grace and June moved over to England, rumour has it that unfortunately neither of them are with us any more :( so I think Beth is the only surviving relative? I'll see what I can find out.

Happier memory's are of taking ages to pick what sweets you wanted before a trip to the beach, pint bottles of water drinking competitions with my mate Joe, also said mate taking a fancy to a young lady who worked in the shop, and in fact he later married her 8) They had one of the best selections of sweets i have ever seen (even to this day) and certainly rivalled Savages for choice, also sitting in the wee back room on a cold winters day drinking tea and talking about putting the world to rights :)

You could never sneak in, as the bell above the door announced you to all and sundry, and even when we were tall enough to try and reach it, Grace was never too far away, and with everything behind the glass counters, light fingered little ones had no chance anyway (although a few did try)

It was never the same after they left, and is now a clothes shop, and with nearly every shop in the point selling sweets now, i could not see another like it opening again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The replies to this post where as follows:

"nkrumah"
It was called "Boss" Mortons?

I went to Dromore Rd with Beth, June was younger, right?

"admin"
Don't remember "boss" being used, but its possible as Grace could certainly be sharp. It was always "Morton's" to us, although there was another family that owned it before them, the name escapes me (but I will edit it in later) and yes, June was the youngest.

"stuart"

doorleys wasn't it??

"nkrumah"
Boss Morton was Beth's father's nickname.

I don't remember him smiling that much, possibly because of always having to be on the lookout for light fingered kids.

But they did have some brand of gum in the late 50's that had pictures of soccer players of the day. this was around the time of the Man Utd Munich air disaster. so 1957/8

Localish connection. One of those cards was for Newry Man Packy (Peter) Mc Parland (Aston Villa & Ireland ..OK Northern Ireland) one of the heroes of the World Cup in 1958 in Sweden . Still livin' if Wikipedia is to be believed.

And yet another trivia question, for the 50 + posters.."what article of clothing did Ireland goalie Harry Gregg (Later Man Utd) remove to play the ball, outside his area) v. W.Germany, n the World Cup in Sweden, 1958"

If you saw it you'll remember because it was unusual then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

For those of you who would like to see the old shop as it is today. :D

Click to enlarge

To be honest, it has not changed that much.

Dukestreet

Mortons sweet shop down Bests Row, (apparently an archaic name for Queen St.) that name conjures up delightful memories for me. The Jap Deserts, the wine gums and other sweets like a mushroom shaped macaroon thingy were out of this world. Even the Magowans Highland Toffee was just the right consistency, you didn't have to smash it against a wall to break it, and almost smashing your knuckles as well.
I rememember Mr. Morton referring to all and sundry as 'chum' as in 'what will it be chum.'Was he a Belfast man originally? And yes you were correct there was a lot of light-fingered boys about, I rest my case, I refuse to say anymore.
I never knew the two girls personally, but I think the oldest girl was employed as a secretary or in a clerical position with Reed C.C. That would have been in the 70's.
I would be saddened to hear that one of the girls passed away, I hope it is not true.
That delightful confectionery shop lifted my drooping spirits when I had a spare Threepenny Bit, courtesy of some benevolent customer of R.G. Mathers,(John & Mark Annett's grandparents) Family Grocer.(was there any other kind of grocer)The Square, Warrenpoint. I was the delivery boy for that esteemed business back in 1960-62.

admin

From what I can remember, Queen Street was the name from the Northern bank down to the gap in the houses that led to Hogg's auction house and Slieve Foy place, and "Best's row" was the rest of the buildings down to Seaview. (much like Seaview itself was split into various sections such as "Needham's terrace" and "Athelby terrace" Grace's husband was called Bob, a man I never knew and I really only met Beth once, But I did know June and Grace very well, (June would come down to some of the parties we held up in the top room of Billy McCabe's house) and I am reliably informed that unfortunately they have all passed on except for Beth.

They used to have the trays of toffee with the little hammers, and I was amused one day to see little miniature versions on sale in the shop, it was also the first place I remember buying "Sweet tobacco" a strange string like sugary substance, that no doubt was so full of sugar and other nasties it's a wonder I have any teeth left :lol:

ah yes... from "cola cubes" to those little pink foam shrimps happy days indeed.

admin

I was talking to Joe today, and he can remember Bob always gave you a few extra sweets when he weighed them out, so if you asked for "a quarter" of something, you got your quarter, and an extra handful 8)
He also sadly confirmed that Beth is indeed the only surviving Morton. :(

Dude

:D Nice to see this write up about Mortons Shop. I have a load of nice and pleasent thoughts about those simplier days. Calling in on my way to school to get a quarter pound of florida gums or cherry lips and getting that many they lasted the whole day also they were that small you could put about 10 in your mouth without getting caught in class. Also at the weekends calling in for a slider of ice cream they always seemed to be bigger there than anywhere else in the town. Then there was the times that i called in with the Admin of this site and we each got a quarter pound of fruit sensation before heading to the beach for an afternoon of swimming. My memories of Morton's are nothing but good i even remember Mr Morton and he was always a very nice generous and polite man. Mrs morton always had time to talk to you no mattter how busy the shop was. June seem to run the shop at least in the latter years and their oldest daughter Beth (who still lives in the south of england I think) use to come across at hoilday times

admin

ah yes, i remember those cherry lips, I always wondered why you used to buy them so often :lol: I remember the words ringing in my ears as we headed for the beach "don't you's be eating loads of sweets and going swimming, you'll get cramps" of course, first stop on the way was Morton's 8) and indeed, we often stopped there on the way back as well.
More so, after a certain person caught another certain persons eye :wink:
Anyway, it certainly always seemed to be sunny in those days, and i can remember walking back up the street bare foot (try doing that today) although i think we used to head for the beach as often as we could unless it was raining (and I think we even went one day when it was, just so as we could say we did)
I'm trying hard to remember Bob, but nothing seems to click, our ones say I did know him so I'm sure one of these days I will.
And yes, you did get more ice cream in Morton's and if my memory serves, when the power cuts used to happen in the 70's we used to get a LOT of ice cream and lollies as well :lol:

Right... I am going to stretch the old brain cells here... who remembers:

(ignore bad spelling)

Alphabet letters
Candy bracelets and necklaces (those elastic things with little hard sweets on them)
traffic light lollies
Crispets
flying saucers
gobstoppers
space dust
acid drops
aniseed balls
brandy balls
butter balls
apple pips
blackberry's and raspberry's
cola pips
chocolate limes
kola kubes (cola cubes)
lemon & strawberry sherbets
rhubarb rock
sherbet pips
sweet peanuts
banana whirls
highland toffee
tea cakes
chewing nuts
bonbons (lemon, strawberry and toffee)
iced caramels
peanut brittle
all those penny chews (fizzy colas and all those other "rubber" sweets
milk teeth
cherry lips
milk bottles
drumstick lollies
black jacks
fruit salads
liquorice comfits
liquorice torpedoes

and the list goes on.........

elainejb

My word, you did have a sweet tooth, I remember a lot of those sweets over here. I bet your local dentist was kept busy, what memories. Did you have Lucky Bags and sherbert dabs?

admin
Oh I did not eat all of those Laughing I was just seeing what I could remember on the shelves, and yes we had lucky bags and sherbet dabs (sherbet "dib dabs" if my memory serves) as well as the old dynamite shaped "sherbet fountain"

Dude

Very Happy You did not eat all of these by heck did might not have eat them all but we had a damn good try. So much so that the local dentist in Church street told me that if i kept it up I would not have a tooth in my head by the time I was 25 so next day I left him and went to the other dentist around the front shore. 25 years on and i still have most of my teeth mine you it is just the shell, the inside is full of fillings

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:08 pm 

I remember a lot of those sweets. We got a treat every saturday when we were allowed to choose a quarter of which ever sweets we wanted. It took us maybe half an hour to decide. But the best sweet of all was the home made fudge, which I can still see sitting in a metal tray on the counter and which weighed so heavy you only got about 5 pieces in the bag. It was delicious!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Don't mention the fudge :shock: I remember eating just a little bit too much of it. :cantlook:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:21 pm 

Was there soemthing called McGowan's or Magowan's Toffee..I think it had a little picture of a cow on the front of the wrapping ?

Post subject: Re: Morton's Sweet shop
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:05 pm 

Does anyone remember the "birds nests" they were little coconut nests with a peanut in the middle. Loved the cherry lips and Jap desserts and smokers! Mortons always had the biggest easter eggs on display in the window, lovely memories! :-):-)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:34 pm 

I remember the lovely ice lollies. Strawberry Mivvis they were called. I think that Mrs Shaw had a sweet shop there before Mortons.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:30 am 

Liz Weir wrote:
Does anyone remember the "birds nests" they were little coconut nests with a peanut in the middle. Loved the cherry lips and Jap desserts and smokers!

Id forgotten about ALL those!! Well done Liz.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:52 pm 

Eugene wrote:
Liz Weir wrote:
Does anyone remember the "birds nests" they were little coconut nests with a peanut in the middle. Loved the cherry lips and Jap desserts and smokers!

Id forgotten about ALL those!! Well done Liz.

Just remembered a few more:

Sugar mice
White choc mice
mojos
Golf ball chewing gums
pineapple chunks
bubblys
spearmint pips
rainbow drops in a paper poke.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:42 pm 

Can anyone throw any light on why we used to call it 'fusty' Mortons?? ;--)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:45 pm 

Eugene wrote:
Can anyone throw any light on why we used to call it 'fusty' Mortons?? ;--)

I had never heard that name and I cannot think where that name could have come from. :neutral:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:52 pm 

refreshers after one your jaw was sore :rotfl:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:57 pm 

Cooter48 wrote:
refreshers after one your jaw was sore :rotfl:

Absoloutely right! Unless you broke it in half on a wall corner and reduced the chewing power!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:54 am 

Has anyone mentioned Drum sticks and another sweet thats name I cant think of they where little small sweet that look like stones where purple and tasted of perfume YUK I hated them :rotfl:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:51 pm 

Cooter48 wrote:
Has anyone mentioned Drum sticks and another sweet thats name I cant think of they where little small sweet that look like stones where purple and tasted of perfume YUK I hated them :rotfl:

Were they Parma Violets by any chance, I quite liked them :-c

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:01 pm 

Yes thats them thanks Liz :cheers:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:01 pm 

You can still get them Mel....I sometimes 'borrow' the odd one from my kids ! :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:03 am 

here's another one fizy lizzy :rotfl:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:03 pm 

Cooter48 wrote:
here's another one fizy lizzy :rotfl:

Were you referring to me Mel :shocked: ~x( :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think he means these

:D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:24 pm 

If you save up about 10,000 of those wrappers Brian you can get a new dual core 3.6 ghz super-duper computer ! :-P

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

patMG07 wrote:
If you save up about 10,000 of those wrappers Brian you can get a new dual core 3.6 ghz super-duper computer ! :-P

Now why would I want a dual core when I already have a quad core? :D :-C

Good old credit union :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:04 pm 

Brian wrote:
patMG07 wrote:

Now why would I want a dual core when I already have a quad core? :D :-C

Good old credit union :D

My goodness.....have you any teeth left after buying that with the wrappers? :-P

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh yes, I still have most of my teeth, and will have as I have to pay back the credit union so no money left for sweets :rotfl:

we are drifting a bit here.... I think I'll open a little computer thread in the lounge :D

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:50 pm 

pauline wrote:
I remember a lot of those sweets. We got a treat every saturday when we were allowed to choose a quarter of which ever sweets we wanted. It took us maybe half an hour to decide. But the best sweet of all was the home made fudge, which I can still see sitting in a metal tray on the counter and which weighed so heavy you only got about 5 pieces in the bag. It was delicious!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

are you my sister? we were allowed a quarter each on Thursday nights for top of the pops.

i had those ones with hundreds and thousands cos you got millions to a bag
pauline had strawberry bonbons
christine had lemon bonbons
dad had chewing nuts.
dave had hmmmm don't remember now

mum didn't have anything

At the end of every school year we'd have a party in school and mum would go to mortons with a shoe box and fill it with sweets and put it in for the party. anyone remember that?

:D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:55 pm 

omg, chewing nuts? Aileenh is no relation to me or Dave.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:59 pm 

Derv wrote:
omg, chewing nuts? Aileenh is no relation to me or Dave.

it was dad that had them

i can't wait to get into that place in colchester derv where we bought the sweet tobacco

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:25 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've mentioned it before, but if you like older sweets......

http://www.mrsomalleys.co.uk/

Don't blame me if your teeth fall out :rotfl:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:37 am 

June Morton gave me the recipe for that fudge and it turned out almost as nice as theirs but I lost it years ago :[