oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:27 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:12 pm 

Not sure of the date of these as I made the mistake of not including a date on the back of the photos. Perhaps someone can help me out ?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:30 pm 

I don't recall any of the renovations being done at St. Peter's which would lead me to conclude that the work was done when I lived in Manchester between 1985-1991 .... I then moved to Belfast but was home every weekend to work in the Marine so would have noticed this work

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:45 pm 

As far as I can remember,Mary Queen of Peace opened in October 1987 so this work would have to have been carrried out after that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:11 pm 

No date on these I'm afraid ...taken a short time before the work began. I have some more about here with other views of the 'old' St Peter's.....hopefully there will be a date on some of those !

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:25 pm 

after 1982

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:31 pm 

I got married in St.Peter's in December 1984,there had been no alterations done up to then,I'd say a few years after that '85-'87.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:20 pm 

THe following is an extract from 'The Diocese of Dromore Past and Present'

http://www.lisburn.com/books/dromore-di ... allon.html

The date of renovation work on St. Peter's is given as 1990 / 91.

'With the Mary, Queen of Peace Church now complete and in use, the opportunity was taken to pursue some renovations and repairs to St. Peter's Church as it approached its 150th. anniversary. This work was planned and executed in the course of 1990 and 1991, with Messrs. McClean and Forte the architects and Messrs. Felix O'Hare & Co., the building contractors. The traditional altar railings were removed at this time and a new altar, tabernacle plinth and presider's chair were constructed in marble, complementing the existing ambo and other sanctuary furnishings. The church was completely redecorated, new carpeting was laid and the heating and lighting systems were upgraded. The Stations of the Cross were re-mounted, each with a mahogany base and new inscription. In order to enhance access to the church for worshippers, a new entrance porch was erected to the southern side of the nave while, to the rear of the sanctuary, the sacristy area was considerably extended and comfortable meeting rooms provided in what had been the church crypt.

The church was reopened and the new altar was solemnly dedicated at a ceremony on Sunday 25th. August I991. Bishop Brooks performed the ceremony, assisted by Bishop Crawford and the priests of the parish - Archdeacon Hamill, Fr. Cushenan and Fr Gerry Powell. The special preacher for the occasion was the Very Rev. Francis Boyle, President of St. Colman's College, Newry, who had grown up in Warrenpoint. During the ceremony of dedication, relics of St. Oliver Plunkett and St. Leonard were placed in the new altar. This occasion also served to celebrate the I50th. anniversary of St. Peter's Church and a stone tablet recognising this milestone was placed above the main entrance to the church.'

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:36 pm 

I remember that re-opening well! Sean's neice was married that year & had booked her wedding in St Peter's. The church renovation was complete well before the ceremony was to take place but out of the blue the couple were informed that no marriage could be held in St Peter's until the official opening by the Bishop. Needless to say they were not pleased - Mary Queen of Peace is a nice church but doesn't hold a candle to St Peter's, especially for weddings! Oh yes, all the invitations had to be changed too!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:18 pm 

Found some more this evening which I will add later. For now, this is one was taken with an unusual bit of equipment (for me) a 'Seagull' roll film camera, chinese make and a bit tricky to use..needed a seperate light meter etc.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:09 pm 

Interesting to see the alter in the back of the lorry.

It was either on the way to or from Mum and Dad's house on the Burren Road, where we stored it during renovations in Dads old tyre store.

My Great Uncle, Harry Heatley, Cabinet Maker (Charlotte St.) made the alter around 1963.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:04 pm 

Richiemac wrote:
Interesting to see the alter in the back of the lorry.

It was either on the way to or from Mum and Dad's house on the Burren Road....

It would have been 'on the way to' as the photo was taken shortly after work commenced. There can't be too many boys that can claim to have had 'their own' altar in the garage ! It's a wonder you never became a priest !

I should add, your great uncle had great hands...a fine piece of work there !

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:36 pm 

:bishop: Me a priest! :rotfl:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:39 pm 

Richiemac wrote:
:bishop: Me a priest! :rotfl:

....I've seen worse !

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:49 pm 

Was just wondering did the statue go to the garage as well, looks unsafe there :rotfl: ......waiting on the ::-(( ::-((

I have seen 1991 mentioned as a possible year for this....its possible as i wanted to get Saoirse baptised here and couldnt as there was work being carried.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:36 am 

patMG07 wrote:
THe following is an extract from 'The Diocese of Dromore Past and Present'

http://www.lisburn.com/books/dromore-di ... allon.html

The date of renovation work on St. Peter's is given as 1990 / 91.

[i]'With the Mary, Queen of Peace Church now complete and in use, the opportunity was taken to pursue some renovations and repairs to St. Peter's Church as it approached its 150th. anniversary. This work was planned and executed in the course of 1990 and 1991, with Messrs. McClean and Forte the architects and Messrs. Felix O'Hare & Co., the building contractors.

[i]The church was reopened and the new altar was solemnly dedicated at a ceremony on Sunday 25th. August I991.

As quoted above, the date of the renovation photos would be 1990/1991.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:52 pm 

we got married in June 1990 was the last in our house when the altar was all there .Derval got married the next year in Mary Queen of Peace >:d<

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:59 pm 

Found a few more ...one taken out the back prior to the work commencing. I'm sure many people will have memories of playing around that beautiful tree.

These were taken during the re-dedication service in St Peter's.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:53 pm 

:shocked: :shocked: I cannot believe the priests garden became so delapidated.... that looks terrible :[

Many happy days playing in and around there....and just as many less-than-happy days getting chased out by Fr. McNeil ( which sometimes included him giving chase in his orange Audi )

I beleive I see "the wee scut" - Fr. Cushenan in there ( we had him for RE at St.Colman's in my first year)