oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:36 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:11 pm 

Dogs are now much less common on the streets of our towns but in the 1950s town dogs were always patrolling the streets. Fortunately town dogs were used to people and normally did not attack. One dog in particular, according to the late Peter Rice, a bulldog I think, regularly stole pieces of meat from Cahills. In those days meat was much more on open display with sides of beef etc hanging out on the street in front of the shop. Mr Cahill knew that the dog was owned by a solicitor who lived further up the street. One day when the solicitor was in the shop, Mr Cahill told him about a dog stealing pieces of meat and ask his advice, as to what to do about it. The solicitor said that if he could identify the owner of the dog he should send a bill for the meat to that owner. Mr Cahill calculated a price for the estimated loss and posted the bill to the solicitor, the owner of the dog. After a couple of days he received a letter from the solicitor, but instead of cheque for the amount demanded, he received a bill for legal advice, for the same amount.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:22 pm 

NO ONE can get one over a SOLICITOR,breath on them and it costs you...I reckon it's cheaper going into HARROD'S in Knightsbridge :rotfl:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:00 pm 

Brilliant story Stanley !

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:47 pm 

That sounds so like the Leonard Cahill I remember, a very quick-witted man, never short of a sharp reply! I'm sure he hated being outdone by the solicitor!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:46 am 

Stanley - good story. I remember Cahill's Butcher shop very well.
Never knew his first name.
I think he was from Rostrevor.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:35 am 

I have fond childhood memories of Cahill's shop....Leonard always had a friendly word for me even though I spent most of my time playing with the sawdust on the floor, gathering it up in piles and making patterns while I was waiting for my mother to complete the shopping. It was also the place to go to get a great bone for our dogs (legally, I must add......no need for any solicitors letter ! ).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:04 pm 

Ditto Pat, loved playing with the sawdust. Mr. Cahill would always address me and my sisters with the words "Well boys, how are yous doing today" :>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:28 pm 

I remember Leonard Cahill's store very well. My sister,Babs Tate, told me a mirthquaker story about Leonard and the late Meta Wilson. It appears that Meta come to the store and asked for two sausages. Leonard, with his terrific sense of humour replied " goodness Meta you must be having a party"

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:31 pm 

George Williamson wrote:
I remember Leonard Cahill's store very well. My sister,Babs Tate, told me a mirthquaker story about Leonard and the late Meta Wilson. It appears that Meta come to the store and asked for two sausages. Leonard, with his terrific sense of humour replied " goodness Meta you must be having a party"

:rotfl: :rotfl:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:32 pm 

Like Liz there were only girls in our family Leonard would always greet us with Hello Boys....But if Mum got down to the butchers with one of us on tow He would always greet us with ..Hello Polly.Never knowing our names....MEMORIES HEY.