oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:39 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:40 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:23 pm 

Are there any plans for this building? Its a shame to see It lying derelict.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:00 am 

I see a mark one Cortina parked outside, so this must be early seventies>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:48 pm 

Anyone pictures of the inside of this? I can remember it well but would love to see it. Especially the club part. Why is it still derelict?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have some video footage of it when it ran under the "Spank!" name on Saturday nights, there were some pictures of Sunday nights, but they were stolen from the club one night after we had handed them around to people to look at ~x( As for the video, I should be able to get a few stills from it, but I need to get it converted from an old VHS tape onto DVD first, and then from the DVD down to a usable size.... I'll work on it. :-C It's derelict (I think?) because the current owner could not get planning for apartments or something? only speculation though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:42 pm 

Oh i had a flash back! you and your friend where asking us which logo was better for SPANK! you where in the square, i vaguely remember that. May have bee that bloke in the big pick up, but pretty sure you where there. There is pics in Baseline mag from the 90's with the back of my head in it :lol: I turned as they where taking a pic of the dance floor. I believe my brother has that mag still.

Also had flash back of the doom disco in the square :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:37 pm 

With reference to the poor old delapidated and much derided former Osborne Hotel:

For whatever reason nobody seems to know who actually currently owns the building although I wonder whether Land Registry would be able to release the information as to who does own it. I should imagine that whoever does own it is either keeping their cards close to their chest as they haven't decided what to do with it or they are simply intending to re-sell a valuable site at a profit at some time in the future.

Either way unless The Planning Service impose some sort of extraordinary criteria to whatever planning permission is eventually sought it is most likely in the present climate that it will be replaced by seafront apartments as opposed to a restoration especially given that it has been left to fester for so long.

The last official mention of it that I remember was in the Banbridge Newry & Mourne Plan 2015 under the district proposals for Warrenpoint Town Centre from which I have lifted the following:

Quote:
Zoning WT 25 Development Opportunity Site Osborne Hotel, Osborne Promenade
A 0.15 hectare site at the Osborne Hotel, Osborne Promenade is zoned as a Development Opportunity Site as identified on Map No. 3/06b - Warrenpoint Town Centre.

This is the site of the vacant Osbourne Hotel. Outline Planning Permission, although expired, has previously been granted for apartments and townhouses.

This seafront site would be suitable for residential or hotel use.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:54 pm 

Over the last eight years or so, I have entered the building in relation to a number of quite serious fires being started inside, the dance floor area including furnishings have`nt been changed..as if frozen in time, the piano in the front lounge area was also there! Its a real pity to have it lying in such a state..vandals have ripped parts of the stairs up and the upper floors are very dangerous..not good when trying to move through it in heavy smoke.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:45 pm 

Reviving a topic discussed back in February as to what if anything is to be done with The Osborne. From what I can see nothing seems to be planned in the near future or else the current owner is just biding his time. Then again he doesn't have to look at it everyday as he apparently lives in...... DUBLIN !!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:50 pm 

Charlotte's Treat wrote:
Reviving a topic discussed back in February as to what if anything is to be done with The Osborne. From what I can see nothing seems to be planned in the near future or else the current owner is just biding his time. Then again he doesn't have to look at it everyday as he apparently lives in...... DUBLIN !!!!

looking at that photo at the top of the thread, it's hard to believe it's the same place really...so much potential

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:51 pm 

Who is the current owner then ~x( ::-((

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:58 pm 

joanne wrote:
Who is the current owner then ~x( ::-((

I don't think Brian would appreciate somebody being named on his public forum and the post would be removed pronto on the grounds of the avoidance of potential litigation !!! ( Just guessing... lol)

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:56 pm 

It's very sad that the present owner has let it get to this sorry state, surely the onus is on him to at least keep the exterior in proper repair, even just for the look of it. x(

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:22 pm 

If anyone knows his name and addy sent him a letter of call him to ask what he is doing about it and tell him of our discussion and the towns concerns. Wont do any harm to ask and we wont know anything until someone asks anyhow.