oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:41 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:16 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

General swing of opinion was that it was taken outside the Cosmopolitan, however we are now about 99% sure it is the Genoa.

Post subject: Follow up posts:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:25 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dude

Very Happy Thanks very much for putting this in. It is very nice to see a photo of my Great Grandfather. I think there is a better copy of this floating about somewhere. I was told that my Great Grandfather was a rather important man in those days, a council man and a well to do business man he was that important that he just might have opened the shop officially.
Dont really know how true this is, it just might be family history getting slightly changed over the years.
Just for your information this photo I am led to believe was taken around the 1930's and the McGuigan in it is Tommy McGuigan (who was my great grandfather) and not Paddy (Cody) McGuigan who was Chrisys grandfather.
Hope this helps to stir things up. All us McGuigans are well contected you know and it is easy to mix us up.

Admin

I have seen that picture before, however I was led to believe that it was actually outside the cosmopolitan? and not the Genoa? I'll see if I can get more info either way And I'll have a go at cleaning that up later.

Dude

Dont start confusing things any more than they are. I have just consulted with the family history book and all i said before seems to be true.

Admin

This is what this site is all about getting things sorted out before there is nobody around to correct any mistakes we may make, so as future generations can marvel at our quaint ways I am not disputing anything already mentioned here at all i am simply adding my 10p's worth, and for that 10p you get to see this photograph here:

click to enlarge

that shows an AOH march in the Square circa 1928, and the Genoa is not there.

That picture as far as I know came from Jim O'Neils sister via Pat McGivern. One sure way of finding out though, I can ask Thomas Mallocca next time I see him, as I was also told that was his father (or grandfather in the middel of the two men) Cool

anybody else anything to chuck into the pot? I am sure between us we can crack this one

dukestreet

I can only offer the information I received from Harry Smith, when he gave it to me. I never saw the photograph before, and only I was told were it was I would not have a clue.
I would dearly love to know the names of the other people in the photo, I think I could hazard a guess that going L-R the second and fourth persons are members of the Magliocca ( Malocca) family.

Dude

I would agree with your photo Admin that it was 1928 and the shop is not there. As I said above the photo was taken around the 1930's hence no shop before that date. I had a family history lesson yesterday afternoon with four of my elders and this photo came up in the middle of it. The McGuigan side of the family claim that this was my Great Grandfater and that it was the official opening of the shop in its current location believe it or not. Too much info was being fed out for my little circuits to hold but dukestreet I do know a person within the family that seems to know most if not all of the names of the peole in the photo. When I run into them again I will write down the names and post it on the site.Sorry I did not reply sooner but too busy over Easter.

Dude

By the way I might be able to get a better copy than this for the site as a good copy is hanging up on my dad's wall

Admin

Dude wrote:
By the way I might be able to get a better copy than this for the site as a good copy is hanging up on my dad's wall

Now he tells me, after i spent some time fixing it

Admin
And so the debate of is it the genoa or is it the cosmo rolls on.....

the mystery deepens

dukestreet

Apologies. You guys are right it is the Cosmo, I was misinformed badly, the photographic evidence is overwhelming. Wait until I see that Harry Smythe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:23 pm 

Yep thats the cosmo, i think the old man looks the double of Thomas who is around the point today. i can remember hearing a story about the old mans funeral that it was the first funeral to go round the shore leaving the chapel, maybe Dude might help on that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:36 pm 

verry pleased to see photo of my family taking outside what is now today called the genoa,opened in 1910 by my father ( benny malocca )of the cosmopolitan cafe 21 the square.( opened summer of 1908 )...names from left to right ,rosalba malocca,( my mother )pasqualina malocca ,tony carasie,tony malocca,tom mc guigan ,always your friend thanks again thomas malocca.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:09 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for that Thomas, so we can finally put this location down as outside what we now know as the Genoa? I Should have got in touch with you earlier and saved a bit of a debate on the subject :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:47 pm 

Hi Thomas,nice to see you on the forum...I, when I was an apprentice at hairdressing with Miss Kay Owens,Margaret Square,Newry, washed your delightful wifes hair on numerous occassions,it was fabulous the length of it......In later years when I opened my own salon in Warrenpoint I was very priviliged to have her as a regular customer,regards to you ,Lila and the family.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:08 pm 

When the Genoa first opened it obviously sold more than fish'n'chips & ice cream? In the photo you can see cigarettes in one window & what looks like chocolates in the other. Never knew that!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:12 pm 

bornandbred wrote:
When the Genoa first opened it obviously sold more than fish'n'chips & ice cream? In the photo you can see cigarettes in one window & what looks like chocolates in the other. Never knew that!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:39 pm 

Thomas Malocca wrote:
bornandbred wrote:

In the earley days,both of our shops the COSMO and GENOA
only served confectonary,cigs, bovril,tea coffee,sodafountain soft drinks,buiscuits,crackers,sandwitches,and lemonade,untill the twenties when sausages,chips,then fish and bacon and eggs then gradualy built up to today's menu.I remember my first hamburger I ever ate I purchased in the Rainbow cafe o'connell st DUBLIN ( o boy ican still taste the flavour,,UM .yum.yum )today more than 50 years on..six pence each......can any body convert into todays cash? thank you all for your custom over the years,Ttomas.M

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:57 pm 

I love the Genoa food I only remember it what it looked like in the 80's. You cant beat their ice cream though, I even am down there getting one on the coldest of days. @-->>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
six pence each......can any body convert into todays cash?

oh yes...

In 1950, 6d would have the same spending worth today of 57p

The national archives have a great little web site for converting money here:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/currency/default0.asp#mid

my thrupence a day pocket money in 1970 would be worth 13p today, not even enough for an ice lolly :cry: .

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:08 pm 

And if you want it converted directly into decimal currency, sixpence is 2 and a half new pence! When we changed in 1971 the old currency was used for a while to represent decimal, so 6d was as above, a shilling was 5p & a florin (2 shillings) was 10p. That's when all the prices were "rounded-up" in the shops & inflation really took off!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

yep... my 3d pocket money in 1950 was worth 28p, so inflation had already halved its worth by 1970.... I can remember buying a packet of crisps and an ice lolly for 3d, and then a few years later when the "new money" kicked in you could only buy one or the other and not both.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:43 am 

The Genoas' knickerbocker glory..........now that was some treat!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:09 am 

my favourite thing from the Genoa was their Noughat Wafers,I used to eat those til they ran out of my ears.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:31 am 

In the 1960s the Genoa had the best chips in Ireland. The Easter opening was awaited eagerly by the whole town, & when the "new potatoes" came on stream, well....chips to die for! Freshly peeled potatoes of course, none of the frozen stuff we get today.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:17 am 

There's so many nice things remembered of the Genoa,their delicious chips(always fresh) their ice cream,I could go on and on...In fact I'll give it a call this weekend when I'm home (are they opened this time of year) ?,can someone come back to me on that...something tells me if my memory serves me right,they closed early part of year then opened for Easter.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

mdhughw wrote:
There's so many nice things remembered of the Genoa,their delicious chips(always fresh) their ice cream,I could go on and on...In fact I'll give it a call this weekend when I'm home (are they opened this time of year) ?,can someone come back to me on that...something tells me if my memory serves me right,they closed early part of year then opened for Easter.

Yes the Genoa will be open, it opens all year round now but closing times do seem to vary a little in the winter, especially at the start of the week when they seem to close around 10pm, Thursdays on-wards they are usually open to 11 or so. They once tried late night opening but I think that was soon nailed on the head as they did it all up a few years ago and they do have a very nice seating area, and you would not want drunks in it. But be warned, the seats are not built for large people! (obviously aimed at slim teenagers or something) It's run by Sammy's daughter Gemma and husband Peter now, and they have also opened another café in Newry, but I still see Newry people coming down to the point for their chips ;--) I think maybe it was an excuse to get out of the house, and they still want the drive down :mrgreen:

here is a link to the advert they put in last years Maiden of the Mournes magazine.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p2/o ... d94b24.jpg

(it's linked coz I don't allow modern adverts in here)

Oh and I did prefer the cosmo's chips :D and in later years John Irelands, both now a distant memory................... each to their own i suppose :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:02 pm 

You're far too young to remember the Genoa chips of the 60s, Brian! Not only were they fresh spuds, the ladies of the family could be seen behind the counter, (always dressed in black & chatting in Italian) peeling away into buckets of cold water to keep up with the orders. Now that's fresh! And everything spotlessly clean - as my mother would say " you could eat your dinner off the floor!"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:12 pm 

Absoloutely right bornandbred. Have you noticed the number of chip shops now,that have dirty windows and a 'lacksadaisy' approach to appearance?
Their main market seems to be the late night revellers and a 'dish it up - do rightly' attitude.
A long way from Frank in his pristine white jacket,and patient approach to ensuring a quality product.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

bornandbred wrote:
You're far too young to remember the Genoa chips of the 60s, Brian! Not only were they fresh spuds, the ladies of the family could be seen behind the counter, (always dressed in black & chatting in Italian) peeling away into buckets of cold water to keep up with the orders. Now that's fresh! And everything spotlessly clean - as my mother would say " you could eat your dinner off the floor!"

Im not that young, I do remember the chips in the 60's (well, late 60's anyway) :D and i can remember seeing the chips being brought in fresh, and on a slighty different note I can also remember delivering spuds and veg to the Welcome Inn chinese in the early 80's and taking them into the yard, and if you had seen what I had seen you would have been put off chips for life :shock: Suffice to say they had live chickens running about over the top of the chips. :-( Maybe thats why they tasted so good after a night out :thumbs:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:22 pm 

Brian wrote:
Im not that young, I do remember the chips in the 60's (well, late 60's anyway) :D and i can remember seeing the chips being brought in fresh, and on a slighty different note I can also remember delivering spuds and veg to the Welcome Inn chinese in the early 80's and taking them into the yard, and if you had seen what I had seen you would have been put off chips for life :shock: Suffice to say they had live chickens running about over the top of the chips. :-( Maybe thats why they tasted so good after a night out :thumbs:

Yeuch - brings a whole new meaning to chicken and chips eh...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:27 pm 

Laughing ,The cosmopolitan.

I can totally relate to everyone, because i lived per day. My name is Liebra Malocca ,Thomas second born and believe it or not we were only a loud to eat the ice cream once a week on a sunday. Because my parents were always wanting us to respect the fact just because we make and own it, we were not to abuse it. But not to mention the time we took it with out them knowing . thats life lol.
LBM Photography/ Videography http://elpels64.zenfolio.com
Florida/USA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:34 pm 

elpels64 wrote:
My name is Liebra Malocca ,

Hey, Liebra (I never knew your name had an e in it!) Hi how are you - it's Marion from your class at Star of the Sea - did you see yourself in our confirmation photo in the schools section?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:46 pm 

Is that marion bradley

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:48 pm 

Sure is!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:53 pm 

Oh my god, how the hell are u, i sent you my personal email would love to catch up with you and see were everyone else is these days. this is to cool. were would i find that photo you mentioned lol, bet we look really funny but of course cute to. lol.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:01 pm 

Ok Liebra, will email you shortly as I have to go out now. I had an email from Aine Kirk in Vancouver the other day as I spotted her on this website - unreal isn't it! :D

The photo I referred to is on this site called Star Of the Sea Primary School
in Schools, Youth Groups & Education

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

http://www.oldwarrenpointforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3

:mrgreen:

maybe you can correct/add a few names for us Liebra :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:18 pm 

elpels64 wrote:
Laughing ,The cosmopolitan.

I can totally relate to everyone, because i lived per day. My name is Liebra Malocca ,Thomas second born and believe it or not we were only a loud to eat the ice cream once a week on a sunday. Because my parents were always wanting us to respect the fact just because we make and own it, we were not to abuse it. But not to mention the time we took it with out them knowing . thats life lol.
LBM Photography/ Videography http://elpels64.zenfolio.com
Florida/USA

Hey Liebra ! ( Brian Henry here).... I remember so many days when we used to play in either our house or yours with our Paul, Benny, Pasquelina ( Sean and Majella were too old to hang around with us - and Thomas and Gilesta ( spelling) were too young !)... Funny how things end up - after us growing up at either end of dock street living above our respective family-owned business ( The Cosmopolitan and the White Star Bar), now your Dad is living acroos the road from my Mum in Rathmore and I just moved to Florida (Jacksonville) after living in New Jersey for the last 10 years !

Back in those days Paul and Benny were inseperable - forever getting into trouble and blaming each other of course !