oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Country Cottage
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posted for Donaghaguy

Post subject: Re: Country Cottage
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:08 pm 

Thats the little cottage up at the crossroads by the duck pond?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:36 pm 

Wilsons' of the Waterworks. I remember it from going for walks with my mother and aunt. An old lady and her daughter would be sitting in the sun. The daughters name was Prudence. I think she was a sister of Mrs Sam Tate.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:01 pm 

Nice photo. I see the baby carriage is outside the
front door. Don't think you could do that today.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:36 pm 

Lovely tranquil scene. The pram appears to be occupied ...I wonder who that child could be?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:15 pm 

That pic brings back nice memories of the house being occupied, but I only remember the McCoy family in it.
Sad to see it in a disused state now.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:45 pm 

My cousin Pat Mc Gennitty renovated that cottage in the early 90's, just before he got married, he lived there for a good while before he built his new house next door on the Donaghaguy Road.

As far as I know the old sub officier in the fire station Mr Bob Tate (RIP) was born and reared in that cottage. It was then called Rose Cottage, and he made a comment after it was renovated that it was good to see the cottage back to it's former glory, and bein lived in.

I wonder if that is Bob in the pram in the photo?????

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:35 am 

Hi Liz and Greengrass i am afraid the Tate and the McCoy families never occupied this old cottage but you are both right there is a connection. The cottage was occupied from the early 1900's by Robert Wilson and his wife Elizabeth[Liza] nee Wilson. He was originally a native of Burren being born on what can only be described as Burren Hill. He worked on the Hall Estate at Narrow Water where he had the very grand title Head Ploughman. When he first married they had a house on the estate which i presume was part of the wages. They moved to that old cottage in the early 1900's which was occupied by his aunt a Mary Margaret McAllister who was both blind and had skin cancer. Of course with that move the job and house on the estate went. Liza Wilson[ she did not have to change her name] was the daughter of Andrew Wilson and Margaret Wilson[nee Doran] of Dunavan, Kilkeel. On the road to kilkeel when you arrive at a bend with the Scrogge Road going off to your right, look to your left and you will see a large two story derelict house which is Dunavan. Margaret Wilson[nee Doran]was born in Scotland. Robert and Liza were married in Mourne Presbyterian Church[Greencastle Street] Kilkeel in 1896. Their daughters were Amy Amelia Wilson[later Mrs Sam Tate- Alan, Bob and Prudence's mother] and Margaret Doran Wilson [later Mrs William McCoy snr Clonallon - mother of all those McCoy's and grandmother to that young girl who has gone to Mexico for treatment]so you have the Tate and McCoy connection.
The photograph was taken in 1942 or 1943 and the child in the pram is me. You can date this photographs as there was no electricity connected at that time. That arrived about 1950 or 1951 and the wiring of the house was carried out by Jimmy Byrne who also owned the garage opposite the Fire Station. Donaghaguy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:21 pm 

Donaghaguy wrote:
Hi Liz and Greengrass i am afraid the Tate and the McCoy families never occupied this old cottage but you are both right there is a connection

My mistake Donaghaguy, I remember seeing Granny McCoy, Dorothy and Hilary about that house off and on, so I just presumed they lived in it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:53 pm 

Would the children in these pictures be McCoys.Possibly Garfield and Gail standing at the door and Amanda in the pram. ;--)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

joanne wrote:
Would the children in these pictures be McCoys.Possibly Garfield and Gail standing at the door and Amanda in the pram. ;--)

Spot on :D

how about this one

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:42 pm 

Would this be their father Billy?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:05 am 

No- not Billy McCoy.
Donaghaguy[Wim]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:20 am 

Donaghaguy - would it be Ivan Smith. ~x(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:06 am 

Could it be Albert McCoy?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:15 am 

Image Title: Old Iris[flickr]h country house , Warrenpoint by Anneka 'Dragonfly' Temmink, on Flickr
Width: 500px Height: 375px     Required Link: Flickr Source Page

Image Title: Old Irish country house, Warrenpoint by Anneka Temmink, on Flickr
Width: 500px Height: 346px     Required Link: Flickr Source Page

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:34 pm 

Sorry folks-not Ivan Smith or Albert McCoy.
Donaghaguy[Wim]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:02 am 

I thought i would add a little story about a person who lived in this old cottage a long time ago as it might give you all an insight to times back then. My grandmother Liza Wilson was a woman of her time and was skilled in home duties i.e she could cook, sew, knit, crochet, lay out a corpse all that a good homemaker was required to do in those days. But she had one other skill. Her friend was a Sarah Lyster who was married to John Donnan and they lived at 15 Ballydesland Road. In 1921 or 1922 Sarah was pregnant and went into labour so John Donnan was sent to fetch my grandmother Liza. Now this was fraught with danger as it was after dark and in 1921/1922 there was curfew during the hours of darkness as this was the period of the "troubles" in Ireland. John Donnan came down the fields from the Ballydesland Road across Tommy Houstons farm and unto our farm at the Waterworks, he then returned the same route with my grandmother Liza. She delivered her friend Sarah's baby and when all had settled returned to the Waterworks again over the fields. I believe i have a picture of us all at the Waterworks, including my grandmother, which i must look out and get Brian to kindly post for me.
What about the baby - I am glad to say that he is alive and well to-day and living on the Donaghaguy Road - his name is Lyster Donnan.
Donaghaguy[Wim]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:25 pm 

Sarah Lyster's family were the owners of the Ulster Hotel in the Square about 1920? I am unsure of the correct date.
Lyster Donnan imparted that information to me about a month ago, regarding his mother's family.
Hence Lyster's Donnan's christian name, called after his mother's family.
Was Lyster Donnan any connection of Lexy Donnan?
The Ulster Hotel is now known as 'Jack Ryans' and is owned by a member of the Grant family, who used to own The Osborne Hotel on the seafront.

Who lived at Tommy Houston's before him?
Where is Avril Houston these days?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:59 pm 

Donaghaguy wrote:
Sorry folks-not Ivan Smith or Albert McCoy.
Donaghaguy[Wim]

My sister Glynis is a member but doesn't post anything - She thought I was 'thick' not recognising that photo as I went to school with the person!!! I'll let someone else guess!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:27 am 

FIRESIDE MEMORIES FROM THE WATERWORKS
They say that old men sit in front of the fire, nod off and dream, me i sit in front of the computer and dream. I do think of the old cottage, how it was and how it is now as shown by the various photo's in this thread. I remember when you went through the front door you entered the family room, my earliest memories were of an old black stove that sat on four claw feet, our cat used to sit under it. My grandmother used to bake in the oven and it was the devil to get to the right temperature. Very often when she was happy it was ready and put a cake in my Uncle Andy would wait until she went out into the garden or somewhere and then he would stoke up the fire and that usually guaranteed a burnt offering, he was always up to some devilment. Boy when she came back did that old woman have a temper, she nearly convinced me that old girls have no sense of humour. When my mother eventually took over the cooking there was a new cream coloured Rayburn cooker installed with a temp guage on the oven door and very even heat so that ended the pranks. I loved that old Rayburn but years later one exactly the same done for me when i was working in Florencecourt, Co Fermanagh. The current First Lady when she was moving on our relationship brought me into her home one evening[getting your legs under the table it was called] and there was a replica of the Rayburn at the Waterworks. Of course i admired it and talked to her mum about the one at home, after that there was no escape and here i am 45 years later still married. Ah well you live and learn. And Rayburn are stiil making cookers.
Donaghaguy[Wim]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:07 pm 

i have been looking at this thread again particularly the last photograph and it brings back some memories. The bedroom at the right hand side of the cottage was where the old Wilson's were laid out when they died, my grandfather and grandmother, my great aunt Agnes from Burren and my Uncle Andy. This was usually done by our good neighbour Maggie McKay, who lived next house up the road towards Clonallon. Her husband was Paddy[a lovely gentleman] and her children were Mick, Pat, Dan and Maureen. I think most of them have sadly passed on but i saw Maureen about 2 years ago, she was out walking with my cousin Nessa Holmes[nee McCoy]. Maggie's brother was Father Stephen McAnulty who i know at one time was PP in Loughbrickland. He was a lovely guy who always called to see my grandmother when he was up seeing his sister. I can still see him in my minds eye, tall a full head of snow white hair and always wore boots. I also know he had a lovely big black car but the memory is not good enough to recall the make.
Donaghaguy[Wim]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:48 pm 

Donaghaguy - I enjoy reading your memories, I can just
imagine what it must have been like for you.
I think all our childhood memories from that era are
treasured ones.
I too remember the Rayburn cooker.
I can't believe how everything was cooked on that, and
all controlled by the fire, even the Christmas cakes.
We are spoiled today. :--)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posted for Donaghaguy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:34 am 

Thanks to Brian for posting this. I think it was taken in the very early 1960's after i left, a little aeroplane flew over and some time later they came round selling these pictures and my mom bought one, it shows the old place from a different aspect.
Donaghaguy[Wim]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:19 pm 

My family rented the cottage in the sixties as a weekend retreat. I remember an apple tree in the garden and playing in the haystacks in the field next door.