Warrenpoint Historical Society

A varied collection of newspaper clippings, articles and adverts from all sorts of publications through the years
Post Reply
Colin M-S
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:47 pm
My real name: Colin M-S

Warrenpoint Historical Society

#1 Post by Colin M-S » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:50 pm

Does the historical society still meet ? I have a question about the article written by the society ... WW1 & The Point, part 1.

There is a reference to a letter written to Patrick Morgan notifying him about the death of his son John Morgan in WW1. I'm curious to know where this information was sourced from. Patrick Morgan was my Great,Great Grandfather.

[quote][/quote]This would not be the last of the pain the Morgan family would have inflicted on them as a
result of WW1. Mrs. Mary Foote (nee Morgan) had four brothers, Patrick, John, William and
Francis, who enlisted in the fight against the Germans. John, a Corporal in the East Surrey
Regiment and Francis, 24552, Highland Light Infantry was wounded in May 1916, and he
eventually was killed as well. William the youngest also enlisted in the armed forces. Mr.
Patrick Morgan Senior received a letter from 2nd Lieut. Cowper of the East Surrey Regiment
on the 22nd June 1916 from “somewhere in France.”
Dear Mr. Morgan,-
It is with deep regret that I have to inform you of your son Corporal John Morgan’s
death. He was killed by a shell about 3am. Corporal Morgan was a man I was very
fond of; he had been under me since August last. And was one of my best ‘Lewis’
gunners. His wristlet watch has been handed in to the authorities, who will forward it to
you. His death was instantaneous, and he suffered no pain.
We buried him with another of his team on the battlefield and marked his grave as best
we could. Again expressing my sympathy, believe me.
Yours very sincerely,
C.R. Cowper (2nd Lieut.)
John’s brother, Patrick ‘Spuddy’ Morgan ex-Royal Irish Fusiliers, who fought at the Battle of
Mons in October 1914 and had a very narrow escape from death when he was seriously
wounded during heavy fighting at the Battle of Ypres, in the spring of 1915. Paddy was shot
through the head, but miraculously survived and was repatriated home to Warrenpoint but
he recovered and returned to the front line in France. Paddy Morgan and many other
casualties like him would have been glad of a steel helmet. Following his return to the
battlefield ’Spuddy’ was captured by the Germans and spent some time as a POW before
returning to the ‘Point. Three other son-in-laws of Mr. Patrick Morgan, a general dealer, of
Church St. Lane also served in WW1, Private Hegarty, Private Thomson and Private Smith.
Mrs. Mary Foote remarried and settled in Kent in the South of England, where her
grandchildren live today.

Post Reply

Return to “Newspaper clippings, Articles and adverts”