oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:08 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:23 am 

Good old St. Marys..

We were pupils on the opening year. Mother Pacifica and Sister Eugenius. God Bless them all.

We had a marvellous education in every way at St. Marys....Later, I was the Careers Advisor at school for over 20 years and was so proud to have held that position..... I still see St. Marys girls today who remember me and we have a chat and I hear about their life. Some wonderful memories for me. I had a position I enjoyed, every day different....

Well to get to the point.. I was speaking to Eileen Tinnelly Cowan yesterday. She was in my class ..... We were taught English by Sister Dolorosa and was she a marvellous teacher.

Anyhow, we were speaking of a get together with Sister and the girls ahem... in our class.

My memory reminds me of these names.

Deirdre Larmour
Eileen Cowan
Bernadette McGuigan
Ann Owens
Margaret Mullan
Bridget Keenan
Mary McAteer
Maureen Grogan
Ann Fegan
Ann OHare
Bernadette Traynor
Pauline McGivern
Una Sloan
Bridie O'Hanlon
Marjorie Tremers
Kathleen McDonald
Rose Coyle
Ann Coughlan

I know some of you still live locally while others are scattered throughout the world.....

If you see this and are interested please let me know... and please add other names I haven't managed to recall.

With thanks.

Deirdre Larmour Murphy

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:38 pm 

deidre, the school are having lots of events for the big birthday .my daughter is 3rd year and in the choir[they are making a cd],and im sure if there are photos and memoires they would love to see them. maureen grogan lives up high street in newry,[we are related through our grandparents,]and if im right ann fegan is ann binks she works in st dallans.hope this helps

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:59 pm 

Thanks luag1...

Yes, I see Maureen Grogan every so often.. The Ann Fegan is now Ann Keenan Mayobridge... I know the Ann Fegan you mean. She is married to a Binks from Mourne... Kerrie is their daughter...hairdresser.

I don't remember her at St. Marys. Anyhow... It is good to know that things are moving for the celebrations.

Thanks so much and can you keep me posted.

All info and help is invaluable.

Deirdre

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 3:30 pm 

Keep the names coming Deirde! If any forum members know of anyone who attended St Mary's on it's opening day in September, 1961, and would like to attend the launch at the end of August, please get in touch with Deirdre, luag1 or email me at lmcveigh157@c2kni.net. Invitations are being extended to past pupils, ex-staff members and anyone connected to the planning and building of the school, all of whom experienced the first day of this very important educational establishment.

As luag1 already mentioned, photos and memoirs will be very much appreciated, regardless of which year you attended, and will prove very interesting and inspirational to both our current and prospective students. So if you have a story to tell or a picture to see, please share it with us!!! :friends:

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:32 pm 

Great Lorraine... I will be honoured to be there for the launch. Will try and personally contact others if I can.. Hope more past pupils will look in on the forum.........

At that time St. Marks was not built and so all Rostrevor, Killowen, Warrenpoint, Hilltown girls attended St. Marys... I still have very close friends from that first day. We may not see each other as often as we would wish now but when we do it is just like as if it was yesterday.

Those friendships I treasure.. Sadly I lost a good friend some years back. Sally Tiernan Byrne.... Sally and her sisters were St Marys girls... A lovely family Sally, Mary, Gretta, Imelda... Great memories.....of wonderful teachers and pupils.

Miss Olive Joyce who taught history... .boy did she bring passion into her subject and inspired us girls.... to learn,question, be curious... I remember doing a project on the lead up to and the world wars I and 11.... You might think a dreary subject but I still can remember looking for info from those who lived through it. Interviewing them. Bringing in
wartime articles... She was ahead of her time...

Mother Amelia taught English... She was super too.... We worked in pairs for all her projects and this brought so much more to each partner.....

Sister Dolorosa taught us English too and she introduced us to the time of Bonnie Prince Charlie..... The Flight of the Heron. From this start I maintained a love for Scotland and the colourful history of that Country..

Sometimes we take our education for granted..... and forget to express our thanks. When you are young that happens..

So thank you to all my wonderful teachers at St. Marys. I received a solid foundation for life there.

Deirdre

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:33 pm 

Just a little update on the celebrations for St Mary's High School 50th Anniversary. The launch will take place on Wednesday 31 August, 2011, at 11.30 a.m. If you were one of the first pupils (regardless of which year group you were in) or staff member, present on the first day St Mary's opened in 1961, we would like to welcome you to the launch. We will need your name and address so as we can send you an invite (please note - this event is by invitation only). Light refreshments will be served.

We have the 1961 register with the names of those people who were there during the first year of opening which will be on display. We would also welcome any photographs or anecdotes from ex-pupils of all years. You can post these on the St Mary's Facebook page. Go to http://www.stmarysnewry.com and follow the link for Facebook.

So, if you would like to join us, see some old familiar faces and welcome our new first year pupils on 31 August, please email me at lmcveigh157@c2kni.net or contact Deirdre Larmour. See you there!!! :-):-) :-):-)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:43 pm 

Saint Marys had its 50th Launch today... All those who were pupils on the first day were invited to the Launch.

What a wonderful day, meeting 1961 classmates and oh all the memories.

We were so excited and the chat and memories were coming fast and furious.

Some of our former teachers were there and greetings were received from those unable to attend.

Mrs Margo Cosgrove Principal warmly welcomed everyone and treated us to a superb lunch and then a super celebration cake.

Anyone visiting the school would not believe that it is 50 years old or young... It is indeed in pristine condition and the maple floor in the assembly hall is second to none.

So I wish to again acknowledge the solid education I received at St. Marys. Also offering my congratulations to Margo and her team and wishing Saint Marys a very Happy 50th Birthday.

Just also to mention that Liam Prince one of our own from Warrenpoint who taught at St. Marys.. was fondly remembered today.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:32 pm 

Deirdre...today was one of the most enjoyable events I have ever witnessed in St Mary's! It was lovely seeing the class of '61 sitting alongside our new first year pupils and, of course, the 'old' staff were there also, including Sr Dolorosa and Rita Connolly, both esteemed Warrenpoint citizens.

There will be many more events during this jubilee year, including the school concert in October, when we hope many people will pay us a visit and see for themselves the wealth of talent that St Mary's has enjoyed over the years .

Big thanks to Deirdre for helping us locate some of our past pupils....your help was integral in ensuring the success of this event. Also, Deirdre delivered a wonderful speech, outlining what life was like in St Mary's when she was a pupil at the school. This evoked many thoughts and memories for our guests and staff alike and was thoroughly enjoyed by a very attentive audience.

Once again Deirdre......THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!! :-):-) :-):-)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:41 pm 

Best wishes to St. Mary`s on their 50th anniversary, I have fond memories of the school over the last fifty years and find it hard to believe that the years have rolled by so quickly . A pleasure to have worked with teachers like Rita Connolly, Una Lawless, Florence McMahon/McAteer and the present Principal of St.Marks Michelle Finnegan/Corkey ...............................................................................

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:16 pm 

Congratulations to St. Mary's on the launch of their Golden Jubilee year........I've known quite a few girls/ladies over the years who were pupils in St.Mary's and all spoke very highly both of the school and the education they received there.

Delighted for you Deirdre, that it went well and that you had the privilege of speaking about your experience as a pupil in those early days...........I had read your post about the forthcoming anniversary and it was nice to read the follow-up. Well done to all concerned.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

For Deirdre

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:43 pm 

Thanks so much for posting Brian.

All of these ladies in my class except one... Rosemary Doyle should have been there also. Don't know how she was missing..

It was awesome to see everyone and catch up.. I had a great time.......

Deirdre