oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:42 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:19 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:22 am 

Pat,do I see you...........fourth from the right in the middle row. ;--)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:04 am 

Well spotted Joanne....that's me with hair ! Now spot the remaining two point men...with hair ! (Although to be fair, they still do have a fair bit of hair today)

One character missing from that photo is Burren man Frank McClorey (aka Frank Mitchell)..he had no tie on that day so Fr Finnegan wouldn't let him into the photo).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:36 am 

Seamus Carr,...second from left in middle row?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:51 am 

Well spotted local lass.....just one to go !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:59 am 

Pat is that Gerry "Boyler" Boyle extreme right front row?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:13 am 

One other Non-'Point face I think I recognise is Slim Donnan ( Kilkeel) second from right in the front row... younger brother of Pat ( former Down goalkeeper)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:02 am 

Spot on again Jones's Hill !! :-):-)

Right on the ball with that one Whitestar ! Pat was in the year above us, a great personality. That pic comes from the Past Pupils magazine from 1978....it is full of pics of the other classes and would I be right in thinking one of you or a brother somewere?

Another person people may recognise is Ciaran Rafferty (solicitor) standing behind Gerry.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:07 am 

patMG07 wrote:
Right on the ball with that one Whitestar ! Pat was in the year above us, a great personality. That pic comes from the Past Pupils magazine from 1978....it is full of pics of the other classes and would I be right in thinking one of you or a brother somewere?

Pat - that looks a little bit like Greg Blaney beside you ( your right)... but I thought he was in the same year as our Sean (I think Sean would have been S1 or S2 in 1978.... I was in J1A) ;--)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:10 am 

Remember Ciaran rafferty very well... he also used to work in MacCartans Menswear beside the town hall.

Would love to get a copy of the past pupils book Pat - any idea where i could pick one up?....is the past pupil's association still going ???

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:11 am 

No...that's a guy called Mark Owens...I'll post all the names if it helps when I get home.

I'm just looking at the picture of J1A ...don't see you ...Cormac P O'Tierney is there amongst others.

If it is any use I'll scan this and could send it to you as a pdf file. Some of the photos are not very good....some are better than others...much brighter and clearer. I've had no contact as a past pupil ...since......I became a past pupil ....in 1979 :))

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:13 am 

patMG07 wrote:
No...that's a guy called Mark Owens...I'll post all the names if it helps when I get home.

I'm just looking at the picture of J1A ...don't see you ...Cormac P O'Tierney is there amongst others.

Cormac was the year ahead of me - so i guess i was still wiping my nose in St. Peter's that year :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:18 am 

Looking at S1B - there is a John Henry....looks very like your Sean ! (Did he get both names John / Sean?) .I'll try to get it scanned later today........as for Greg Blaney ..he is in the photo of S1A.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:21 pm 

patMG07 wrote:
Looking at S1B - there is a John Henry....looks very like your Sean ! (Did he get both names John / Sean?) .I'll try to get it scanned later today........as for Greg Blaney ..he is in the photo of S1A.

Pat - he did get both names, ( for reasons I won't elaborate upon here) he was Christened Sean, that is his given name but birth certificate says "John" not uncommon back in the sixties to have some names changed ( Seamus became James etc...)..... I won't even mention what is actually on my birth certificate instead of "Brian" :-(

Slightly off-topic, but "sean" was stopped at a police check point many years ago, got a summons for speeding or something - police officer writes out the summons, brings it back over to Sean and tells him "Sign your John Henry on here".... of course Sean writes "John Henry"... followed very quickly by him being dragged out of the car window by a very irate Police officer who though Sean was taking the mickey out of him :rotfl: :rotfl:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:51 pm 

whitestar wrote:
I won't even mention what is actually on my birth certificate instead of "Brian" :-(

Would it be Bernard? In the Carr family Sean was registered as John, Seamus as James, Eamon as Edward, & Brian as Bernard.....Irish names were not accepted. ~x(

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:58 pm 

Sorry for going :offtopic: on my previous post!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:48 am 

bornandbred wrote:
whitestar wrote:
I won't even mention what is actually on my birth certificate instead of "Brian" :-(

Would it be Bernard? In the Carr family Sean was registered as John, Seamus as James, Eamon as Edward, & Brian as Bernard.....Irish names were not accepted. ~x(

Spot on bornanbred.... now I would REALLY like someone to explain how "bernard" is the anglicized version of Brian ~x(

actually caused me several problems over the years when getting passports and registering for University :-(

But the funny thing is, my Dad's birth certificate if "Brian Edward Henry"...

anyway - don't want to get off-topic here... so back to Pat and the rest of S3A >>>>>>

I remember when i came in as a first year that Seamy Carr, Ciaran Rafferty, Slim Donnan were in S4 ( final year) and they definitely took me under their wing so-to-speak, it was not uncommon to have some of the seniors lay down the rules ( NOT bullying i will hasten to say) for the new intake of students....from a combination of playing a wee bit of football, being from the 'point and knowing some families pretty well, I seemed to be somewhat better protected than a few of the other first years,

Remember very well a newry lad by the name of Cooney who would take pleasure in throwing his weight around....I suffered the misfortune of getting stuck at his dinner table, he was number 1 server ( got the plates and dished out the food) and there were numbers 2 and 3 servers to get the dinner and desert. Cooney would dish out measly portions to the younger kids and would take your desert if he felt like it ( this is really begining to sound like Oliver Twist !! :D ) .... one day Seamy Carr was walking by the table and said " how's it going young Henry ?".... to which I replied " great Seamy...except I'm @$%!$ing starving "..... Seamy quickly slapped Cooney round the earlug took his massive portion of choclate pudding and put it in front of me and said " just let me know if you want any more" ...... never had a problem after that :D :D

... and I'd like to think I passed on the favour to couple of younger kids when i became a senior myself....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:47 am 

Now if that Cooney lad was around today he might be able to help me to lose some weight!

Got as far as scanning Sean's class photo and I'll upload it tonight.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:28 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not wanting to go off topic completely, but my name on my birth certificate is Brian ? I asked a few others I know and none of them have "anglicised" names on theirs (Sean's, Josephs and Seamus among them) was that done at the hospital ?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:50 am 

Brian wrote:
Not wanting to go off topic completely, but my name on my birth certificate is Brian ? I asked a few others I know and none of them have "anglicised" names on theirs (Sean's, Josephs and Seamus among them) was that done at the hospital ?

I think the Birth Certificate is issued at the hospital ( Daisy Hill) - or at least they provided the necessary paperwork to bring to the townhall... but I'm really not sure to be honest... we are not all that far apart in age so I doubt it is a "generational" difference... who knows ~x(

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:16 pm 

As promised ..S1B from 1978 with a certain Sean (or is it John)...middle row, 5 from the left !
Back row, extreme left is given as Stephen Walker...I presume the Stephen Walker from Warrenpoint?

I'm feeling generous this evening so I'll now post all the names! :cheers:

oops...I cropped that scan a bit tight and cut off the numbers 1 - 9 on the left..but I'm sure you can figure it out ! :))

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:26 pm 

:shocked: :shocked: That's a cracker Pat !!! :-):-)

So many faces look familiar... some names jump right out at me - others I'll kick myself when I hear them.

Stevie Walker back row, left.

Is it Deccy Strain third from left on back row ? Second from right in back row.... Dessy ??? Think he became school Prefect

and I beleive I see the aforementioned MR. Cooney in there on the back row ?

Conrad OHagan Middle row on left

Kieran McGuigan 4th from left in middle row ? ( beside Sean/John)

I thought John Hall was in Sean's class... but don't see him

Anyway - that's my forst stab at names !

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:38 pm 

Perhaps John Hall wasn't wearing a tie ..same problem as Frank McClorey in S3A ! :))

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:53 pm 

well I had my first stab at names before you posted the list :D

Denis McGivern was the guy I was thinking off who became Prefect... and I knew that was Cooney skulking in the back row :angry:

Can't beleive I missed Mark Fitzpatrick :shocked: he is actually a second cousin of ours.... his mother ( Margaret) is Jimmy Caulfields daughter and was a first cousin of my Dad)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:01 pm 

That's 'wee' slim allright, Peter Donnan from Attical (and not kilkeel) if I remember correctly. The older brother Pat was called Big Slim :-)
Deccy Strain was in S3B in 1978, (as I was myself ).
I know , i Know, this thread is over 2 years old ! I just can't resist adding my tuppence's worth !

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
I know , i Know, this thread is over 2 years old ! I just can't resist adding my tuppence's worth !

That's what the forum is all about :D It does not matter how old a post is, I openly welcome all members to visit or revisit old posts and put their comments in at any time :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:46 pm 

whitestar wrote:
:shocked: :shocked: That's a cracker Pat !!! :-):-)

So many faces look familiar... some names jump right out at me - others I'll kick myself when I hear them.

Stevie Walker back row, left.

Is it Deccy Strain third from left on back row ? Second from right in back row.... Dessy ??? Think he became school Prefect

and I beleive I see the aforementioned MR. Cooney in there on the back row ?

Conrad OHagan Middle row on left

Kieran McGuigan 4th from left in middle row ? ( beside Sean/John)

I thought John Hall was in Sean's class... but don't see him

Anyway - that's my forst stab at names !

whitestar :shocked: There was another 'point man in S1B but was absent on
the day of the photo ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:21 pm 

Pat, is that Peter Grant second from the left front row??? (First photo)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:36 pm 

No Richard, not Peter Grant although I can see the resemblance. I am embarassed to say I cannot recall his name ...I think he was one of the 'boarders'....I'll have to find that school magazine again and check the name to be sure !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:31 pm 

whitestar wrote:
Remember Ciaran rafferty very well... he also used to work in MacCartans Menswear beside the town hall.

Would love to get a copy of the past pupils book Pat - any idea where i could pick one up?....is the past pupil's association still going ???

Everyone Knew Ciaran Rafferty, and he knew everyone.
Remember he told us that during his driving lessons, people were endlessly waving hello at him, he would of course return the greeting. It got to the stage where the Driving instructor told him that, during the test, he'd have to ignore all greetings.
"even if it's your nearest and dearest, ignore them" he was told.