oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:32 pm 

Liz Weir wrote:
Gruncle & Grantie, that's a new one to me. :D

:rotfl: just an affectionate term for a certain forum member and his lovely wife :D

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:29 pm 

Eugene wrote:
point lass wrote:
I think Oklahoma was probably one of the best productions the school put on . Marion , do you remember the famous Diddy Men catastrophe ?

I wont ask point lass!! there were no diddy men in our production.......or Rodgers & Hammersteins!!
:rotfl: is this something you were responsible for Marion??

Oklahoma! (without the diddy men)!!

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:00 pm 

There may have been a few incidents with the Diddy Men but some may remember 1978 or 79 at the 21st Concert. I was in the class and can't remember whether we were Lower or Upper 6th. Therefore not sure of the year. However all was forgiven at either the Christmas Concert or Seachtain na Gaeilge Concert when we performed some 'nice' acceptable songs.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:03 pm 

point lass wrote:
I am surprised there aren't more stories of the teachers and staff who were the heart and soul of the school :| Some will remain nameless ( don't want any libel cases ::-(( ) but some should at least get a mention ! Siobhan Farrell and Aveen Cassidy , for making music fun ( there's a whole thread on it's own :singer: ) Theresa Nugent/ McAllister for just being a great teacher and doing stuff above and beyond the call of duty - like visiting her students while they were at the Gaeltacht in the wilds of Donegal , and taking them out for lunch :-):-) Mrs O'Brien for keeping us in line , and those wonky heels :-O Will leave it there for now and see what transpires ...

Was talking to Theresa Nugent today and told her about this post.She seemed quite pleased :-):-)

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:46 pm 

Joanne , next time you see her tell her I said a big Hello :--) Haven't laid eyes on her since the mid eighties :-O

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:23 pm 

point lass wrote:
Joanne , next time you see her tell her I said a big Hello :--) Haven't laid eyes on her since the mid eighties :-O

I will indeed.Teresa's best friend at school was Margaret Morgan from Lower Dromore Road.Margaret was home last week and Teresa met up with her in the Point.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:20 am 

I can't remember Miss Nugent teaching me - what was her subject?

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:26 pm 

She taught me for Irish O'level , but taught maths too - wish I'd had her for the Irish A'level too - might have enjoyed it more ...

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:27 pm 

Ah that explains it. I did French and Spanish but not Irish after third year...

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:19 pm 

Was your Spanish teacher Miss McQuaid ( RIP ) ?

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:06 pm 

Yes, she was such a lovely lady. She died so young didn't she. Miss McQuaid really made you feel enthusiastic about the Spanish language. Raymond Doyle was my French teacher and as he's a mate of my dad's I won't say anything bad!!! But seriously, he also inspired me to have a love for that language, so much so that I have been teaching my kids French for the last couple of years!

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:01 pm 

The best performance has to be "Fiddler on the Roof"- can still repeat it word for word....does any one remember that one? Is that Karen Murphy in the photograph?

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:10 pm 

Tevye...............Denise Hagan...................................SUPERB !!!

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:41 pm 

She was fantastic, what is she doing now? thought you would be more interested in the string section of the orchestra though!!!??? ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:48 pm 

I haven`t heard from her in awhile,.............she taught in the Abbey for a few years after graduating, gave that up to make her way as a solo artist..............................................................

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:51 pm 

the osborne wrote:
The best performance has to be "Fiddler on the Roof"- can still repeat it word for word....does any one remember that one? Is that Karen Murphy in the photograph?

What year was Fiddler on the roof?

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:56 pm 

I think that it was 1995/1996? not sure have the video at home- its hilarious! ;) were you in the cast?

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:00 pm 

Afraid not....I left Our Lady's in 1973 :rotfl: But at that time they were talking about doing Fiddler on the roof,I can't remember whether or not it was done before I left.I do recall a production of Lilac Time with Geraldine Smyth from Warrenpoint playing the lead part.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:45 pm 

Marion wrote:
Yes, she was such a lovely lady. She died so young didn't she. Miss McQuaid really made you feel enthusiastic about the Spanish language. Raymond Doyle was my French teacher and as he's a mate of my dad's I won't say anything bad!!! But seriously, he also inspired me to have a love for that language, so much so that I have been teaching my kids French for the last couple of years!

Looking back , I wish I'd approached my French A level with a more long-term attitude , instead of learning stuff just to pass the exam :you ejit: We usually holiday in France every summer and , while I can usually manage ok , I am overshadowed by my hubby , who is pretty fluent ( mind you , he spent his summers working at a Colonie De Vacances in Palavas whereas I spent mine at the Gaeltacht :D )

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:37 pm 

I must admit my French was just theory whilst at Our Lady's as I didn't spend any time in France and it is so different when you have to put it into practice :-S - something that was very obvious when I was put in front of a class of 30 pupils in a school in Lille for a year - it's difficult to control a class when either party doesn't understand the other's language! :-(( However there is nothing like being thrown in at the deep end and after a year I was dreaming in French!!! :lazy:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:25 pm 

A few weeks ago I found myself explaining censorship to my 9 yr old son , and it made me think of a particular occasion at school - we were having a music appreciation class with , if my memory is right , Siobhan Farrell , and some of us had brought our singles in to listen to and then discuss . We were about halfway thru the class when the Headmistress came into the room and asked that the music be turned off as it was inappropriate ... the song that had been playing was "Imagine" by John Lennon , and the worst lyric ? - "Imagine there's no Heaven" ! ~x( :-c ^-)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:47 pm 

not the most appropriate choice in a girls' convent school... :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:48 am 

:rotfl: maybe not , but we then lost the " privilige " of bringing in any records at all :[

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:57 am 

.... :-( what not even The Sound of Music!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:17 pm 

:D nope - teacher got to choose everything from that day on ... :keyboard: :redcard: :P

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:35 pm 

I've just had a thought - are there no Sacred Heart pupils on here or have I just missed that thread - not that I knew many people from the school but I'm sure I've bumped into a few....weren't there many people from the point there?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:43 pm 

Marion wrote:
I've just had a thought - are there no Sacred Heart pupils on here or have I just missed that thread - not that I knew many people from the school but I'm sure I've bumped into a few....weren't there many people from the point there?

ssssh Marion........you'll waken them up! zz:zz We don't want to resurrect the old feud! :-(( Is there still the same rivalry between the schools? In my days, many moons ago, it was Our Lady's/Violet Hill versus Sacred Heart/The Abbey
:swordfight:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:26 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Even though this is primarily a Warrenpoint forum, I don't mind if anybody from Warrenpoint that went to any other school in the area wishes to open a topic for that school. :D

as long as they don't start any wars that is :rotfl:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:16 am 

bornandbred wrote:
Marion wrote:

ssssh Marion........you'll waken them up! zz:zz We don't want to resurrect the old feud! :-(( Is there still the same rivalry between the schools? In my days, many moons ago, it was Our Lady's/Violet Hill versus Sacred Heart/The Abbey
:swordfight:

As a former St.Colman's pupil I would agree with that ascertion Bornandbred.... sure we would share the same bus to school and there was many a budding romance started around Timoney's ice cream shop....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:18 am 

I just can't remember any of my primary school friends going to the Sacred Heart but I'm sure some of them must have. I don't remember any rivalry - as in face to face confrontation - just a general 'us and them' 'blue / green' feeling ...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next