oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:01 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:21 pm 

I left after doing my Junior and went to tech for some time, but the pinafore with the 9 white buttons and the belt round the middle (with the white buckle that served no purpose) that made you feel like a sack of spuds was the uniform then. Plus the necessary beret and gabardine coat over the blazer. The jumper under the pinafore was awful as every time you moved it would move with you but never move back to where it should be. You couldn't put your hand up under the pinafore to pull it into place again as you would have had your knuckles rapped for being rude and showing your undergarments.
Woebetide any girl who was seen outside the school not in full uniform, or behaving in an unseemly manner while in her uniform.
Relive it all???????????????????............................................ No Thanks!! :[ :[

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:45 pm 

point lass wrote:
only in Lower Sixth were we officially allowed to wear it on top and then we THOUGHT we could get away with a skirt.

I must have been very lucky then point lass because I distinctly remember wearing a skirt in my last year - what a rebel eh!!! :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:18 pm 

Marion wrote:
When I went to OLG for the first three years (I think) you had to wear the dreaded pinafore and we constantly tried to get away with wearing our jumpers over it so it looked like a skirt. After that you could wear a skirt which some people used to pin up to make it really short - but not me of course!!!

Those pinafores must have been the bane of every OLS girl's life...3 rows of three pearl buttons, dropped waist & the prescribed number of box pleats! Mine were always made by Maggie Kinney, & she added a very large hem, so they would last longer! Spare a thought though for the "poor" :-c :rotfl: boarders....they not only had to wear those ghastly things, but also stiff plastic collars fastened with studs. Every one of them had chafed necks! Oh I felt sooo sorry for them >:) That was the price they had to pay to be set apart from us plebs!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:24 pm 

Hi b&b!!

My mum was a great seamstress in her time and borrowed a pinafore (possibly from Mary McManus) so she could copy it to make mine for me. But I think by the time I was leaving the box pleats had been done away with and the skirt of the pinafore was more 'A' line.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:36 pm 

charlotte st wrote:
Hi b&b!!

My mum was a great seamstress in her time and borrowed a pinafore (possibly from Mary McManus) so she could copy it to make mine for me. But I think by the time I was leaving the box pleats had been done away with and the skirt of the pinafore was more 'A' line.

You were lucky, charlotte st, I had to wear the old style for the duration! Why did I think you were a male forum member??? ~x( Would I know you?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:39 pm 

Charlotte's Treat is a male. I am most certainly female and you may know the family well. Check out the 'And another fifties picture' thread again to jog your memory.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:31 pm 

Marion wrote:
point lass wrote:
only in Lower Sixth were we officially allowed to wear it on top and then we THOUGHT we could get away with a skirt.

I must have been very lucky then point lass because I distinctly remember wearing a skirt in my last year - what a rebel eh!!! :D

:rotfl: me too , tho not so lucky , as I was regularly pulled aside by either Louis O'Donnell or Liz Fullan and told off :hiding:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:32 pm 

You did art didn't you - do you remember the tiny little staircase to get up into the art room? I used to love working up there...much better than doing boring maths!!! I must say all in all I really enjoyed Our Lady's and have really good memories of the place. Hard work but sure what else would you be doing....! :beach:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:03 pm 

I loved that old art room too - it was my favourite place in the whole school and , as I mentioned in my opening post , it always smelled of warm wax from the little pot by the door of the back room . It always felt like a little sanctuary . I only did Art to O' level at Our Lady's tho - wasn't allowed to do the A' level as I only got a B at O' level :-c so I did languages instead and did the A' level on my own when I left :-):-)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:24 pm 

charlotte st wrote:
Charlotte's Treat is a male. I am most certainly female and you may know the family well. Check out the 'And another fifties picture' thread again to jog your memory.

I'm losing it here G! I do know who you are, & of course I know your family! You were in the street long before I left it. If I say anything more that seems stupid, just ignore it & think "ah God love her, she's gone off again!" :-c
Back on the subject of uniforms - despite the awfulness of the old pinafores, if I had to choose today I'd pick the pinafore instead of those ghastly long skirts they have now!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:02 pm 

[quote="point lass"]I loved that old art room too -[quote]

Our art teacher was a wee Newry lady called Miss Corr. I used to think my drawing was
marvellous. Miss Corr would take one look at it and start ranting how bad it was and how
stupidly blind I was, while she'd "fix" it!! She'd draw big exaggerated lines all over my
drawing correcting it - I thought she msde a ***** of it and when she moved away, I'd
rub out her scribbles!!!! That's probably why I never made my name in the art world!!!

Met her in Woolworths years after, and would you believe, she knew me! (You only
remember the very good or the very bad - don't know why she remembered me). However,
I told her that looking at her now, you'd think butter wouldn't melt in her mouth and she
had been a vixen. You should have heard her laughing!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:29 pm 

bornandbred wrote:
charlotte st wrote:

I'm losing it here G! I do know who you are, & of course I know your family! You were in the street long before I left it. If I say anything more that seems stupid, just ignore it & think "ah God love her, she's gone off again!" :-c
Back on the subject of uniforms - despite the awfulness of the old pinafores, if I had to choose today I'd pick the pinafore instead of those ghastly long skirts they have now!

It's ok b&b, I have moments like that too these days!! But I like the skirts instead of the pinafores, cos at least they cant roll them over and over to make them shorter. I knew one girl who hitched the bottom part of her pinafore up under the belt to shorten it.
Imagine the waistlines they would have if they rolled the check skirts up to mini!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:30 am 

point lass wrote:
I loved that old art room too - it was my favourite place in the whole school and , as I mentioned in my opening post , it always smelled of warm wax from the little pot by the door of the back room . It always felt like a little sanctuary . I only did Art to O' level at Our Lady's tho - wasn't allowed to do the A' level as I only got a B at O' level :-c so I did languages instead and did the A' level on my own when I left :-):-)

Gosh that was good doing it on your own - I did the A level in Our Lady's, started at Rupert Stanley to do the foundation course for a BA in Fine Art (was still on the waiting list for Jordanstown) and then left when I got accepted on a new degree in European Business Studies in the poly. A bit of a change from using charcoal and paint to using a PC and economics book but there you go!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:13 pm 

mcelaura wrote:
Our art teacher was a wee Newry lady called Miss Corr. I used to think my drawing was
marvellous. Miss Corr would take one look at it and start ranting how bad it was and how
stupidly blind I was, while she'd "fix" it!! She'd draw big exaggerated lines all over my
drawing correcting it - I thought she msde a ***** of it and when she moved away, I'd
rub out her scribbles!!!! That's probably why I never made my name in the art world!!!

Met her in Woolworths years after, and would you believe, she knew me! (You only
remember the very good or the very bad - don't know why she remembered me). However,
I told her that looking at her now, you'd think butter wouldn't melt in her mouth and she
had been a vixen. You should have heard her laughing!!

Miss Corr was my art teacher also - do you remember how she used to fine pupils - for anything really, but mostly for forgetting to bring art materials to class? "Threepence" she would say, in her very abrupt manner! I kept some of my art books with her scribbles on for years - I fancied myself as an artist & was heartbroken every time she rubbished my efforts!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:10 pm 

I'd have a very empty classroom if I used that method of teaching with my students :rotfl: might give it a go this evening and see what effect my personality change has on their work :shocked: :rotfl:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:46 pm 

Do you teach art then?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:38 pm 

Marion wrote:
Do you teach art then?

She does indeed, Marion. I'm answering for her 'cause I know she has a class this evening.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:40 am 

bornandbred wrote:
Marion wrote:
Do you teach art then?

She does indeed, Marion. I'm answering for her 'cause I know she has a class this evening.

Is he a good student?? :rotfl:
I'm sorry! I just had to do it!! :rotfl: :--)))

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:11 am 

StLouisGuy wrote:
bornandbred wrote:
Marion wrote:
Do you teach art then?

Is he a good student?? :rotfl:
I'm sorry! I just had to do it!! :rotfl: :--)))

I must admit i had to think about that one for a while! @=)

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:01 am 

:rotfl: very good SLG . Yes Marion , I teach Life Drawing and Painting at my local college - used to teach B&W photography too , till they got rid of the darkrooms and built a new media centre :[

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:55 pm 

I am surprised there aren't more stories of the teachers and staff who were the heart and soul of the school :| Some will remain nameless ( don't want any libel cases ::-(( ) but some should at least get a mention ! Siobhan Farrell and Aveen Cassidy , for making music fun ( there's a whole thread on it's own :singer: ) Theresa Nugent/ McAllister for just being a great teacher and doing stuff above and beyond the call of duty - like visiting her students while they were at the Gaeltacht in the wilds of Donegal , and taking them out for lunch :-):-) Mrs O'Brien for keeping us in line , and those wonky heels :-O Will leave it there for now and see what transpires ...

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:06 pm 

@=) still waiting ...

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:56 pm 

Point Lass,all the teachers you mentioned were pupils at Our Ladys when I was there :rotfl: apart from Mrs O'brien,I think she was Miss Fulham then.Louis O'Donnell was teaching when i was there though....he had an awful habit of throwing things,chalk dusters etc.Then again maybe that was just the effect I had on him :lazy:

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:13 pm 

Strangely enough Joanne I was about to mention that Louis O'Donnell had once fired a wooden duster at me to stop me chatting - luckily for me he missed... #:-S can't see that sort of thing happening nowdays eh!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:37 pm 

Throwing stuff seems to have been a bit of a theme at Our Lady's then , cos I remember it being such a regular part of Mr. McIlhenny's class that we wrote it into a song we then performed at the 21st concert :geetar: :singer: Michael Toner ( among others :D ) featured in that too for... well , just for being Michael Toner :-):-)

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:55 pm 

I thought Michael Toner was a brilliant teacher - was it true that he went on to become a priest?

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:44 pm 

As far as I know Marion - last time I spoke to him he was home on holiday from Rome , and that was 20 years ago in the back bar in Macs :cheers2: - and I agree with you , he was a great teacher and a lovely man . His broad Belfast accent gave us loads of ammo to wind him up with , and he always took it with great humour , usually followed with a very sharp and cutting response :D I seem to remember a few years ago hearing that he wasn't very well ...

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:57 pm 

point lass wrote:
As far as I know Marion - last time I spoke to him he was home on holiday from Rome , and that was 20 years ago in the back bar in Macs :cheers2: - and I agree with you , he was a great teacher and a lovely man . His broad Belfast accent gave us loads of ammo to wind him up with , and he always took it with great humour , usually followed with a very sharp and cutting response :D I seem to remember a few years ago hearing that he wasn't very well ...

Is that the guy who was very friendly with Gruncle & Grantie? Was he a monk rather than a PP?

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:20 pm 

Gruncle & Grantie, that's a new one to me. :D

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:29 pm 

Not sure - he hadn't finished in Rome when we spoke . I just remember being gob-smacked when he told us ! It was probably a few years since we'd seen him , and he was in the 'Point catching up with Denis Walinsky ( ;--) spelling ) and McIlhenny ( first name escapes me ...) . They all taught at Our Lady's at around the same time and were a breath of fresh air at the time ;) Anyway , he sat with us for a drink and told us he had joined the priesthood , and he cracked up when he saw my face :shock: he then proceeded to wind me up about my " arty " appearance ( think he was being kind !? ) and told us exactly what he thought of us and our classmates , admitting that he had been terrified when he first started as a student teacher , and that his brashness and confidence were a huge act . He was delighted when we told him it was pretty convincing :genius:
He was only 20 or so when he first started , so I can just imagine how he must have felt to be faced with a room full of 15/16 yr old girls :hiding: :getmecoat:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next