oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:13 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:04 am 

Quite alright Northbrook - and you are bang on about the 21st concerts - they were to commemorate the founding of the school

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:06 am 

northbrook wrote:
This is a bit rich coming from a ex College student, but I did spend almost thirty years amongst the girls of OLGS and in that time did pick up some useful snippets of information. .............As far as I know the 21st of November celebrated the opening of the school, it was customary to have a celebration on that day ending with a concert organised by the students.

Wow I'm impressed Northbrook - you know more than I do! Hang on a minute....when you say you spent thirty years amongst the girls - did you work there?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:09 am 

I looked after the apple trees !!.............................................................

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:12 am 

Point Lass - would I know Northbrook?!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:21 am 

Point Lass , say nothing .....or all the secrets are out....................

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:29 am 

hmmmmm....the plot thickens....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:45 am 

The May processions were something else. We all had to wear a white veil. First year pupils
first, through to seniors, then the head girl and finally the nuns, we processed through the
convent garden until we surrounded the statue of Our Lady. Here we stood and sang The
Queen of the May. During this singing, the head girl would mount a set of steps (already put
there for the purpose) and place a crown, made from flowers, on the head of the statue. We
would follow, but remaining on terra firma, and place flowers (usually Lilac) all round the base
of the plinth. It was a nice ritual.

On one memorable ocassion, while we were singing angelically, the head girl (she shall be
nameless because she became a nun and taught in the area for years) went forward with the
crown and climbed the steps. I don't know what happened, but, suddenly she practically
somersaulted, head over !!! and the crown left her hands and flew off into celestial regions.
As she landed in a heap with her legs in the air, the singing gave way to a spontaneous
eruption of laughter. A most enduring picture of the event remains in my minds eye....
that of her sturdy matronly suspenders.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:05 am 

:rotfl: I can imagine - what a sight!

I agree it was a lovely procession though and it always seemed to be sunny when it took place. I have vivid memories of doing a final exam of the summer term in an upstairs classroom in the school whilst listening to the droning sound of the lawns being mown. It always reminds me of that wonderful feeling of anticipation of the long summer ahead...those were the days eh.... :beach:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:21 pm 

Marion wrote:
Point Lass - would I know Northbrook?!

You probably do Marion , but certainly not for anything to do with apples - and , since he specifically asked me not to say anything , I'd better not :-S Well , maybe just a little clue ... :music:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:45 pm 

Something to do with music? Is he anything at all to do with Our Lady's - that's what set me wondering.... ;--)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:37 pm 

Without giving it all away , yes he had a link to Our Lady's ;) Check out some of his other posts and you'll probably get it - he's almost given himself away a few times :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:15 pm 

One of the scariest moments at Our Lady's had to be the day the O'/A' level results were given out . Instead of the results going up on the notice board , everyone had to queue up along the corridor outside the office and wait to be called in . Once inside the office , you could see the shadowy figure of the Headmistress behind the dimpled glass of the inner sanctum and your heart felt like it was going to burst through your chest ^-) A hesitant tap on the door and then you were inside , facing the desk and waiting to hear your fate . The first results to be read out , in a voice filled with stoney disappointment , were your ...ahem...least impressive ones , saving the best for last and prolonging the agony for as long as humanly possible ! You were then dismissed with a very perfunctory " well done " and could finally escape and send in the next poor , trembling victim ! #:-S

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:33 am 

Oh yes I remember it well....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:33 am 

point lass wrote:
Without giving it all away , yes he had a link to Our Lady's ;) Check out some of his other posts and you'll probably get it - he's almost given himself away a few times :D

Will do!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:45 am 

Townview wrote:

'Charlotte St mayb ur daughter might know more about this (as i say my time there was short, so....), how is R anyway hope she's well?'

Hey Townview,

R is doing well and is now on her way to having her second baby, thus making me a granny for the second time. The baby is due in time for my birthday in October and we are all very excited.
With regards to the friends system, I don't remember it coming under discussion much, but I can tell you that my youngest daughter is now a buddy in St. Dallan's where they befriend the younger classes and so it would seem to be a similar idea.
I don't remember the right hand side of the corridor rule when I was in OLGS way back when, but I do remember our class nearly got expelled because someone had dabbled in the black arts in the classroom. The talk of exorcisms and priests blessing the school were unbelievable.
That was well over thirty years ago and Sr. Anthony was our headmistress then. She was a force to be reckoned with never mind the dark forces. :(( x( :(( :(( :(( :)]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:53 pm 

northbrook wrote:
This is a bit rich coming from a ex College student, but I did spend almost thirty years amongst the girls of OLGS

The man was in heaven!!!! :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:15 pm 

Yes it had it`s moments, all good.............................................

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:17 pm 

Message for Northbrook - was wondering if you have any photo's of the Oklahoma production ? I remember seeing some years ago , and can't think where else it could have been , if not at your house ;--)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:33 pm 

I`ll ask Ali Hakim,maybe he will have some...............................................................

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:37 pm 

:rotfl: :rotfl: say a big hello and give him my love when you do :--)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:41 pm 

I`ll give an OKLAHOMA hello...........................................................

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:42 pm 

northbrook wrote:
I`ll ask Ali Hakim,maybe he will have some...............................................................

Who is this now - someone else who had something to do with Our Lady's? - I'm totally lost!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:44 pm 

Marion wrote:
northbrook wrote:

Who is this now - someone else who had something to do with Our Lady's? - I'm totally lost!!!!

The pedlar man in Oklahoma!! ( not a diddy man Marion)!! ::-((

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:57 pm 

I give up!!!! :((

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:02 pm 

Marion wrote:
northbrook wrote:

That`s the intention..........................................

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:03 pm 

VERY easy to do! ;--)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:07 pm 

Charlotte St - i mind u telling me R was expecting her second child when i was at home last...glad to hear she's keeping well

U'v reminded me of a similar incident, happened in the pantomine when i was in it (i was not involved - i would have always been too afraid) - few ones deciding to... as you say.... 'dabble with the dark side' - they got a telling off for that!! (whether they had done it right or not was another matter) but i do remember a bit of a commotion about this one and that one going to go to the priest to get blessed!! :-c

What sort of uniform was in OLG when u's attended? - cause i remember the girls talking about the hassle they had trying to get used to the pinafore (prob spelt wrong) the taking off or putting on of their jumper a certain way over or under the pinafore, etc..? I was only there for the picnic table cloth - sixth form!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:11 pm 

When I went to OLG for the first three years (I think) you had to wear the dreaded pinafore and we constantly tried to get away with wearing our jumpers over it so it looked like a skirt. After that you could wear a skirt which some people used to pin up to make it really short - but not me of course!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:29 pm 

charlotte st wrote:
That was well over thirty years ago and Sr. Anthony was our headmistress then. She was a force to be reckoned with never mind the dark forces. :(( x( :(( :(( :(( :)]

Oh, I loved Sr Anthony, in her pre-headmistress days at least. Especially when the then Fr. Esler came into the classroom & perched on her desk for a chat........end of English class! She in turn would come into Miss McConville's class to chat to her, so again........end of French class!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:38 pm 

Marion wrote:
When I went to OLG for the first three years (I think) you had to wear the dreaded pinafore and we constantly tried to get away with wearing our jumpers over it so it looked like a skirt. After that you could wear a skirt which some people used to pin up to make it really short - but not me of course!!!

It was the first 5 years that the jumper had to be worn under the pinafore ( with that pointless excuse for a zip on the side ::-(( ) only in Lower Sixth were we officially allowed to wear it on top and then we THOUGHT we could get away with a skirt . I fell foul of this on a couple of occasions , one in particular when we had a school photo and everyone was to be in shirt sleeves - I couldn't hide the fact that I wasn't wearing the regulation uniform so I was removed from the 'line-up' :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next