oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:32 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:14 am 

Marion wrote:
I just can't remember any of my primary school friends going to the Sacred Heart but I'm sure some of them must have. I don't remember any rivalry - as in face to face confrontation - just a general 'us and them' 'blue / green' feeling ...

Rivalry might have been a bit more pronounced then between the abbey and st.colmans - particularly when it came to football .... to recycle your phrase a black and blue feeling ::-(( :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:32 am 

Ah yes of course, I guess when it comes to sports that's a whole different ball game (excuse the pun) and not having been a particuarly sporty person I would have missed any interschool antics on the pitch/court! :football:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:46 pm 

Marion wrote:
I just can't remember any of my primary school friends going to the Sacred Heart but I'm sure some of them must have. I don't remember any rivalry - as in face to face confrontation - just a general 'us and them' 'blue / green' feeling ...

Ms Hankin missed this post, as she went to nearly every school in the area. :genius:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:51 pm 

Derv wrote:
Ms Hankin missed this post, as she went to nearly every school in the area. :genius:

Did none of them suit her needs, Derv :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:26 pm 

Derv wrote:
Marion wrote:

now you mention I do seem to recall Aileen ( or Ms. Hankin to give her her proper title) wearing a green school uniform ( Sacred Heart) a brown Uniform ( Newry High) and vague recollection that she may have attended St. Louis ?????

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:25 pm 

whitestar wrote:
Derv wrote:
Marion wrote:

now you mention I do seem to recall Aileen ( or Ms. Hankin to give her her proper title) wearing a green school uniform ( Sacred Heart) a brown Uniform ( Newry High) and vague recollection that she may have attended St. Louis ?????

Yip thats right, although she says they weren't good enough, Ithink she was exspelled... Or! she forgot what School she was suppose to be at... Well they're all schools!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:42 pm 

I knew Aileen went to St Louis and Newry High with my sis but I didn't know about the Sacred Heart ;--)

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:12 pm 

yes! yes! I hear you all...I went to St Louis, then Sacred Heart, then Newry High...ok? Happy now???
:-):-)

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:56 pm 

Aileenh wrote:
yes! yes! I hear you all...I went to St Louis, then Sacred Heart, then Newry High...ok? Happy now???

Lovely to see these old posts being resurrected after so long, especially when the forum seems to be a bit in the doldrums. Don't think I ever remember anybody going to all three establishments, but I take it you are the exception Ms. Hankin! Hope it was that you ( or your lovely mother, for whom I have a great respect!) decided that variety is/was the spice of life.............and not that you were asked to leave any of these renowned places of education!

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:32 pm 

Aileenh wrote:

See it only took you two years to clear that one up Aileen.... :thumbs: :rotfl:

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:46 pm 

Marion wrote:
Aileenh wrote:

See it only took you two years to clear that one up Aileen.... :thumbs: :rotfl:

What was wrong with Our Lady's then Aileen ? :rotfl:

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:11 pm 

I went to OL from St Marks to do my A levels. I was there for the last year of the old school and the first year of the new one! Narrowly missing those long skirts :|
My favourite teachers - which no one has mentioned yet :shocked: were Sr Anne Lyng (Ancient Hist) and Mrs McGowan (Eng Lit). Besides being great teachers the stories or tangents that came out of some of the debates were so funny!
I remember SR Anne always had the phrase "Do you think i came up Newry Canal in a bubble?" on the go!
and as for Mrs McGowan :-c I could write a book! My favourite quote from her was " gone are the days when fairies were things you would find at the bottom of your garden....!!" :genius:

Anyone else remember things like this??? :nuts:

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:52 pm 

Hi Velma - the reason no-one has mentioned those members of staff has probably got smthg to do with our age , but it's lovely to have a post from someone who was there post dinosaur era too :D

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:49 pm 

Mrs McGowan was my English teacher and she was lovely - her maiden name eludes me now but I remember when I was a member of Interact (youth fund raising charity group-born of Rotary club) she married Jim McGowan who was chairman at the time. Anyway, I always remember her telling us about the first time an inspector came into her class. She told us that the blackboard was covered in writing from a previous lesson and she was so nervous that when she turned to use it, instead of rubbing it clean, she simply cleared a patch in the middle of board. Apparently in his report the inspector referred to her 'porthole technique' as a very interesting one....!

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:25 pm 

point lass wrote:
Hi Velma - the reason no-one has mentioned those members of staff has probably got smthg to do with our age , but it's lovely to have a post from someone who was there post dinosaur era too :D

Now Point lass you said that not me !!!! I wouldn't dare comment! :getmecoat: :D needless to say my niece has past through OL and my daughter is almost ready for it although she is going to the green side at the minute - enough said! :|

@ Marion - She was so funny! We were reading Philip Larkin so her feminist side had a field day!! :thumbs:

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:19 am 

I can imagine Velma!

Oh I had manys a blackboard duster fired at me by Louis O'Donald! And I thought Michael Toner was a great teacher. And I spent a long time in the art room at the top of the stairs with Miss Marley and Sister Mary.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:14 pm 

This was a trip to Aras an Uctraine (probably spelt wrong) Our names were pulled out of a hat to go - i felt privileged!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:08 pm 

Cathy Campbell RIP extreme right. Fondly remembered, greatly missed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:08 am 

Cathy was indeed a lovely person.She taught in Our Lady's when I was there, but wasn't married to John at the time,I think her maiden name was Burke ;--)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:33 am 

I knew her as Miss Burke, wasn't she an Irish and History teacher?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:28 am 

She was...and very good fun too - I wasn't aware she had passed away. I also liked Mrs McGowan, she was really good craic.. and the school nurse Mrs Kennedy, a lovely woman too

I didn't really enjoy my days at OLS (the old school on Canal St), as they were heavily blighted by the presence of Sr. (guess who?) who for some bizarre reason she took an instant and violent dislike to me on the first day of term (on my very first day at the school in 1st year) and more or less made every day a living misery for me, until the day I left. I never could understand why she was the way she was with me - but for all I know, she picked on someone in every class, every year...unhappy years for me anyway

Other teachers' names that haven't cropped up yet in this thread (I'm sure there are others, but can't remember):
Ms Malone (Gen. Science)
Mr Lavery (Physics)
Mrs White (Irish)
Miss Gaffney (French)
Mrs Fegan (Geography)
Miss Gordon (Music)
Mrs Torrens (Maths)
Mrs Clarke (English)
Mrs Leonard (Irish)
Sr Mary McCluskey (Domestic Science)
Ms Donaghy (Outdoor Pursuits?)
Ms McAteer (PE and Religion)

Apart from Sr. (guess who?) though, I remember other days where I could avoid being in her sight - days such as the 21st concerts - and yes, I think someone from Upper or Lower Sixth supervised/mentored the younger classes as they prepared sketches/acts etc for the concert (celebrating the day the school opened, 21st November). I remember someone dressing up as Louis O'Donnell and performing a very funny sketch one year.

Then there were indeed May Processions, and First Fridays - where the dividing walls in the Ranch would be pushed back to make one large assembly hall, and the whole school attended a service (can't remember if it was full Mass or not). I remember fancy dress competitions on school Sports' Day too (the only two sports visible, as far as I recall, were netball and tennis). I remember Oklahoma - it was a massive production at the time, and the whole school had to learn all the music and lyrics of all the songs in music classes

Someone else mentioned the sound of the lawns being mowed as they sat an exam - I have that memory too - sitting upstairs in a classroom in the main building (normally used for Upper/Lower Sixth?), the smell of freshly cut grass wafting in - a promise of long summer holidays. I also recall the walk on the left, bag on the right shoulder malarkey - and those awful pinafores made of weird material. Jumpers were worn underneath the tunic for the first 3 years, then over the tunic in S1 and S2.

Do you remember the distinctive musty smell in the lunch-room, down in the basement? - A heady mix of soup and stale bread, and - as you exited the room, the paint-fumes from the basement art room would then knock you for 6!

Memories of almost the whole school playing 'British Bulldog' out on the lawns at one point...and (must have been a Sports Day or one of those last days in June before breaking up for the summer) nipping out the Canal St gate, and down to Friar Tuck's for a few hours ;)

Buying Kola Kubes in Thompsons (was that the name of the shop?) on Sugar Island, or something out of Timoneys on the way up the street in the morning to set you up for the day. Bombs going off in the middle of exams, and us just getting on with it, completing the paper in question, with Louis O'Donnell amongst others present saying: "Never mind, keep writing!"

Halcyon days!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:59 pm 

Cate wrote:
I remember Oklahoma - it was a massive production at the time, and the whole school had to learn all the music and lyrics of all the songs in music classes

I was in that - the only line I had to say was, 'I say it gave me a three day bellyache' :rotfl:

My fifteen minutes of fame - well, seconds!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:32 am 

Marion wrote:

I was in that - the only line I had to say was, 'I say it gave me a three day bellyache'

Bet you felt poorly at The Box Social!! :rotfl:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5