oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Memories of Our Lady's
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:04 pm 

Come on girls , are we going to let the male of our race have the monopoly on stories of time spent at school in Newry ? What about The Ranch , The 21st Concerts , the old Art room with the dodgy staircase and the smell of wax ,the " walk on the left , with your bag on your right shoulder " rule (so that the walls didn't get marked :| ) - which was rigourously overseen from one end of the corridor :-S ? And that's before you even start mentioning the Staff :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:46 pm 

What about stealing the apples and pears from the school orchard at lunchtime and then running away from one of the old nuns charging down the steps waving her fist at you! #:-S

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:24 pm 

Were you a boarder, Marion? The boarders went up the trees for the apples, and maybe before the apples were ripe.......and the cookery....that's another story!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:49 pm 

I was waiting for this !!! What kept you all..... :rotfl:

It will run and run.....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:50 pm 

When I went to Our Ladys the emphasis was never on sporting activities.On dry days there was netball and apart from that there was nothing.Spent many pe classes chatting in the cloakroom.I also remember "the ranch" and quite a few escapes were made from that area when the gate was open for the school dinners to be delivered. :-):-)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:42 pm 

point lass wrote:
Come on girls , are we going to let the male of our race have the monopoly on stories of time spent at school in Newry ?

How far back do you want to go? Is it only for the "girls"....what about old ladies like this one is now!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:56 pm 

bornandbred wrote:
How far back do you want to go? Is it only for the "girls"....what about old ladies like this one is now!

I can just imagine 6 or 7 other children out of shot...and mary poppins appearing at the top of those steps!!!..seriously bornandbred..its a really nice pic!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:00 pm 

If I can go back,you can do the same...............................................

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:13 pm 

The only thing missing is the von Trapp family singing around you on the steps 'Doh a dear' :music:
Nice Photo my daughter goes to OLS still have to walk to one side of the coridor she tells me and two connections to Warrenpoint, Sr Yvonne (Hanna) and Mrs Pettigrew Principal (Summerhill)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:56 am 

Great shot there, B&B. I think all the girls had portrait pics taken on those steps. ( I remember seeing a few). What was the "ranch"?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:01 am 

StLouisGuy wrote:
Great shot there, B&B. I think all the girls had portrait pics taken on those steps. ( I remember seeing a few). What was the "ranch"?

The ranch was a wooden structure like an old cowboy/western ranch house. There were four or five classrooms in it and it had decking before it was popular and wooden steps up to it.

That picture on the steps brought back frightening memories of the much hated uniform and those 9 buttons (in three groups of three). I hated that uniform so much. You felt like a sack of spuds with the belt pulled tight in the middle to give you a shape.
Anyone remember 'Tiptoe'?
I have horrible memories of Our Lady's and some funny ones too.

Up in the art room I remember the girls climbing up into the windows and one in particular was dangling her legs out the window to work on her tan when the old nuns praying in the garden spotted us. OUCH!!

The school bus was a bit of an ordeal, especially in the winter. Breathing on the glass to melt the ice so you could see how far up the road you were!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:53 am 

Padraigin wrote:
Were you a boarder, Marion? The boarders went up the trees for the apples, and maybe before the apples were ripe.......and the cookery....that's another story!!!

No, there were no boarders when I went to Our Lady's although I've heard my Mum talk about boarders when she was there. We were allowed to use the gardens by the convent to take our lunch and that's when we would shin up a tree or throw things at them to knock down the apples. I seem to remember my pal Eleanor McNulty was particularly good at getting them down as she was so tall!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:56 am 

charlotte st wrote:
The ranch was a wooden structure like an old cowboy/western ranch house. There were four or five classrooms in it and it had decking before it was popular and wooden steps up to it.

We did a production of Oklahoma in the ranch one year and it was such a good backdrop for the musical - wooden stage, wooden walls etc. :singer:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:18 am 

Marion wrote:

We did a production of Oklahoma in the ranch one year

Ah Oklahoma! My last Am dram treading the boards here a few years ago....played Will Parker!! :dance3:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:38 pm 

I think Oklahoma was probably one of the best productions the school put on . Marion , do you remember the famous Diddy Men catastrophe ? My memory is a bit hazy , but great offence was taken to a sketch based on them , and there was hell to pay ! :-c

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:48 pm 

point lass wrote:
I think Oklahoma was probably one of the best productions the school put on . Marion , do you remember the famous Diddy Men catastrophe ?

I wont ask point lass!! there were no diddy men in our production.......or Rodgers & Hammersteins!!
:rotfl: is this something you were responsible for Marion??

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:25 pm 

:rotfl: :rotfl: the Diddy Men was another show entirely :D and the reason I was asking is because I was hoping Marion had a less hazy recollection than mine , that's if she knows what I am on about :!:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:38 pm 

Oh , and by the way B&B , I meant girls of all ages , of course ;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:49 pm 

point lass wrote:
I think Oklahoma was probably one of the best productions the school put on . Marion , do you remember the famous Diddy Men catastrophe ? My memory is a bit hazy , but great offence was taken to a sketch based on them , and there was hell to pay ! :-c

Ahem, could you elucidate on those aforementioned men, please? :rotfl:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:55 pm 

Here goes then ... from what I remember ;--) the sketch involved that years Upper Sixth , who dressed up and performed a daft song ( dont remember what ! ) and , as far as I know , there was nothing offensive in the content or costumes , but the Head at the time :| took great offence to the word Diddy :shocked: :-c

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:56 pm 

I must say I'm racking my brains ;--) as I 've just seen these posts. Can you remember any of the Upper Sixths involved Point Lass?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:03 pm 

Unfortunately or fortunately (i cant decide which!) my time at Our Ladys was short (i went to O.L after St.Marks to do my A-Levels but had trouble adjusting to an all girls school) anyway....

i remember the walk to the right hand-side clockwise or was it anti-clockwise? ~x( rule, i used to get stopped all the time by teachers giving off to me - i just used to look at them blankly and say 'im new here and im lost', used to get away with it all the time! :D
I was there 7yr ago....i dont know when this was started in O.L.S... but i remember they had a Carger (this may be wrong name) Friends system?? :)] ....the idea was that 2 sixth form girls would be assigned to a third year class and would help them prepare for the school concert (i think the concert was on just b4 xmas hols) the girls we had decided they wanted to dress up and imitate the teachers!! :-c after convincing them to tone it down a bit they got away with it... and the teachers enjoyed it! Also with this system, if the third yr girls had any probs with family or bullying etc they could come talk to us about it - i always thought it was a good idea...
Charlotte St mayb ur daughter might know more about this (as i say my time there was short, so....), how is R anyway hope she's well?
I also remember a few of the girls WARNING me about Sr Yvonne...i had her for religion...but i thought she was really nice, she was nice to me anyway (but mayb thats because i was 'new' :D)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:25 pm 

Marion wrote:
I must say I'm racking my brains ;--) as I 've just seen these posts. Can you remember any of the Upper Sixths involved Point Lass?

Wish I could , but seem to recall that the concert was in jeopardy for the following year - can't remember if that threat was carried out tho' ;--) I do remember everyone being gobsmacked by the reaction - including my folks :-):-)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:34 pm 

point lass wrote:
I do remember everyone being gobsmacked by the reaction - including my folks :-):-)

Theres a chance we may find out more later on then :rotfl:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:29 pm 

What would Diddymen have to do with Oklahoma ?? , maybe you`re thinking about the twenty first concert.............this is better crack, thah the St.Colmans thread...............no offence Charlottes`Treat......................................

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:03 pm 

Would that concert have been a take off of Monty Python, and included a bishop? After my time, I hate to admit, but my sister may know?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:35 am 

northbrook wrote:
What would Diddymen have to do with Oklahoma ?? , maybe you`re thinking about the twenty first concert.............this is better crack, thah the St.Colmans thread...............no offence Charlottes`Treat......................................

Like I've already said - Diddymen had NOTHING to do with Oklahoma - it was a completely different show :-c

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:21 am 

Yes, the 21st concerts (why were they called that - I can't remember) were a series of sketches / musical numbers that were performed by each class weren't they? So it sounds like the upper sixths of that year did a Ken Dodd sketch or something.

I can also remember going with the school to see someone singing in the Royal Opera House and the comedian who was the warm up completely shocked the staff :shocked: who brought us along - I remember they were trying to tell us not to listen - as if!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:34 am 

This is a bit rich coming from a ex College student, but I did spend almost thirty years amongst the girls of OLGS and in that time did pick up some useful snippets of information. .............As far as I know the 21st of November celebrated the opening of the school, it was customary to have a celebration on that day ending with a concert organised by the students.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:59 am 

point lass wrote:

Apoligies "Point Lass"..............I now understand the confusion...................................