oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:18 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:32 pm 

My Latin, like yours was always a struggle, but an enjoyable struggle for all that ,after the first year I decided Holy Orders was a none starter and lowered my sights to been an altarboy instead under the guidance of Fr.Jack Lynch our chaplin in Warrenpoint at that time.
A very rough translation I think may be: Roman girls walk in the city parks, beware of the horses.........probably as far out as the lighthouse.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:37 pm 

Pretty much accurate as far as my recollection goes and thumbs up to Northbrook for that !!

What about recollections of Ecce Romani from other Violet Hill students.... OR

Did the Abbey study the same textbook? I am trying to be inclusive !!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:51 pm 

northbrook wrote:
My Latin, like yours was always a struggle, but an enjoyable struggle for all that ,after the first year I decided Holy Orders was a none starter and lowered my sights to been an altarboy instead under the guidance of Fr.Jack Lynch our chaplin in Warrenpoint at that time.
A very rough translation I think may be: Roman girls walk in the city parks, beware of the horses.........probably as far out as the lighthouse.

I have been puzzling what brains I have since last night charlottes`treat and trying to figure what is the connection between Roman girls and horses ?.............Am I missing out on something here or have we lost a crucial element in the
translation ?..............Abbey scholars to the rescue quickly...................or SHGS.or OLGS...........................

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:07 pm 

Aside to Northbrook...

As I said..It was a struggle to learn and what I meant was that the textbook went to great lengths to be simplistic enough to understand and yet the stories always seemed forced in their attempt to widen the vocabulary or vocab as it was called. In other words strange things got juxtaposed in order to come up with a story. Hence puellae and equus could easily be found in urbe or in horto for that matter. Eucliedes the teacher used to find his way into many a tale also......

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:50 pm 

northbrook wrote:
Abbey scholars to the rescue quickly...................or SHGS.or OLGS...........................

OLS girl (?) here northbrook - "amo, amas, amat" etc was all I needed to know........I tuned out after that..........until "veni, vidi, vici" - mission accomplished! :kissy:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:53 pm 

bornandbred wrote:

OLS girl (?) here northbrook - "amo, amas, amat"

amamis,amatis,amant..I could go on..... :rotfl:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:12 pm 

Stop..........I had enough of that......................

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:06 am 

Does anyone remember Sean Dinan (Froggy) who would come in from Belfast and try to eradicate the South Down accent and replace it with a BBC one? Boy, did we howl at some of the attempts to make us sound posh. "The Rain in Spain" was mutilated in everyway possible. Poor Sean, I hope they paid him well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:22 pm 

I'm nearly sure the person marked as Donal McConville is in fact John Reavey from Jerretspass, his twin Paul must have been in another class.
Those straps were made of high quality leather, some of them had pennies (old pennies, from the time when a pound was 240 pennies) sewn into them.
Got that info from a ?joe Campbell? from ?the Meadow? in newry . His dad used to make them.
Crazy how the oul memory et's flaky over time isn't it ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:00 pm 

northbrook wrote:
Stop..........I had enough of that......................

So had I northbrook......and to make it worse my 'Longman's Latin' textbook was written in Irish.....well, you know what I mean.....the bits that are normally written in English were written in Irish!