oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:29 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:38 am 

Hello again..

The Doyle's were from Gilford not far from Banbridge ! :geek: Does that ring any bells? I am right on that one!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:10 am 

Charlotte's Treat wrote:
Hello again..

The Doyle's were from Gilford not far from Banbridge ! :geek: Does that ring any bells? I am right on that one!!

That's the one !!!! ... it is the same Doyle's then ( ' cause this guy really is the iamge of his older brother)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:18 pm 

I thought so...as soon as Gilford sprang into my mind I knew I was on the right track !!! :-):-)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:16 pm 

StLouisGuy wrote:
What year did Violet Hill start requiring uniforms? I was there from 1955 to 1961 and the only uniform we had was that glorious scarf. Have to admit though that they look good. Kind of makes it hard to do a little mitching though. :thumbs:

Totally out of my comfort zone here SLG, but as you know we overlapped at Grammar school....female in my case I hasten to add! I'm sure you're right about the uniforms, being a former College boy, yet in my mind I can't picture either the Abbey or V.Hill boys without uniforms! Funny how the mind plays tricks.....or not so funny maybe! :[

As for mitching, I know one Abbey pupil in particular who was a grand-master of that art!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:43 am 

B&B, you might just be blocking out all those wonderful Violet hill lads and their freedom of expression in clothing. now who could that Abbey miscreant be? One of your offspring? :rotfl:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:50 am 

StLouisGuy wrote:
Violet hill lads and their freedom of expression in clothing

Even after the uniform was introduced there was a fair amount of freedom of expression in terms of clothing. I was far far from being a rebel but every year after Easter there was "slippage" in terms of the dress code. I can remember the awful grey trousers getting replaced with black ones and the jumper being replaced with a black cardy and at my most adventurous the blue shirt being replaced with a white one !!!! :-):-)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:35 am 

Well, good for you, Treat. One always needs an outlet for that rebelliousness, even in a small way. It's the thought that counts. Right? :cheers:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:50 am 

many thanks SLG you sound like a kindred soul !! :-):-) They used to have crackdowns depending on Fr Finnegans mood and it would be back to the "grey trousers" but it would be nip and tuck as to how the dress code would be violated once again..... :shocked:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:37 am 

Was that Malachy Finnegan?? He was the curate at the Point way back when. he must have toughened up to go to Violet Hill to handle the miscreants there. Art Byrne was Dean when I was there. Canon Petit was president and then big Jemmie Haughey. Dr. Brooks, later Bishop, was geography teacher. Some others were "Wee Dick" McAnuff, Latin and Greek; Fr. Trainor, French, the two Boyle brothers. A few lay teachers were there too. "Big Frank" Feely, "Wee Mickey" Short, Matt Welford, and Jim Fitzsimmons who went to St. Joe's when it opened.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:35 am 

StLouisGuy wrote:
Was that Malachy Finnegan?? He was the curate at the Point way back when. he must have toughened up to go to Violet Hill to handle the miscreants there. Art Byrne was Dean when I was there. Canon Petit was president and then big Jemmie Haughey. Dr. Brooks, later Bishop, was geography teacher. Some others were "Wee Dick" McAnuff, Latin and Greek; Fr. Trainor, French, the two Boyle brothers. A few lay teachers were there too. "Big Frank" Feely, "Wee Mickey" Short, Matt Welford, and Jim Fitzsimmons who went to St. Joe's when it opened.

SLG - that's right Fr. Malachy ( floppy) Finnegan - I believe it would be fair to say he "toughened up" #:-S :-S Floppy became president couple of years before I went to the college (1978), Fr Boyle was Dean and music teacher then ( didn't he go on to be President ? )

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:42 pm 

I went to the College in 1947, a long time ago, no uniform in those days, just the blue and white scarf, a badge of honour or a mark of recognition, ? I suppose it depended on the circumstances..........That`s the year the college won the McRory Cup for the first time, and they managed to capture it the following year also. Future Greats of the All Ireland teams of the sixties learned their skills "on the playing-fields of Violet Hill " at that time, some that come to mind, Sean Blayney, the mighty P.J.McElroy, and Kevin Mussen, the first Down footballer to carry the "Sam Maguire" into the North of Ireland...........Some teachers I remember with great fondness, others I would rather forget, slapping was still "par for the course" in those days and was administered with relish by some teachers, although not all teachers used this painful form of punishment, President at that time was Fr.Pettit, (Biddie or Bauge) a Warrenpoint man himself, The Dean was Fr.Hugh Connolly (Herbie), Fr.Trainor (The Nyord), Fr. Owens (Tony)
Fr.McAnuff (The Dick) Fr.Rooney (Black Jack) another `Point man. Fr.Haughey (Big Arthur) and the two lay teachers at that time Mr.Fitzsimmons (Hooey) and Mr.Welford (Pest or Talloo),
On my last day as a student walking that avenue, when I reached the gates I remember saying to some of the boys, well that`s that, you`ll never get me back there again ! Little did I know then that I would spend twenty four happy years working there as a tutor
Moral of the story..................Never say Never.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:29 pm 

StLouisGuy wrote:
B&B, you might just be blocking out all those wonderful Violet hill lads and their freedom of expression in clothing. now who could that Abbey miscreant be? One of your offspring? :rotfl:

I've got a feeling its probably someone a wee bit older :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:33 pm 

Is nothing sacred.........................................

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:36 pm 

what , not you too Northbrook !? :shocked: :rotfl:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:45 pm 

I`m afraid we`re ganging up on the red,black, and amber.......... this could start another war, ............................... better say no more.......

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:48 pm 

think you've got the wrong end of the stick Northbrook - the miscreant is being referred to for "mitching" , not for uniform violations :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:28 pm 

Quote:
slapping was still "par for the course" in those days and was administered with relish by some teachers,

still par for the course when I was there... in fact my very first day at the College I was given " six of the best" for being "cheeky" to our Latin teacher... which i thought was a little harsh 'cause his family had a house ( for summer holidays I think) around the corner form us in Thomas St and I pretty much grew up with him and his brothers during the summer months, playing football etc... all I said was "Yo, Marty, how's it hanging" ... guess that wasn't the expected form of greeting to a teacher ;) ... was the first of many such "lessons"

... the worst though was woodwork ( won't mention teacher's name :-S) .... anyone mis-behaving would be sent to the store room in the woodworking shop and told to pick out a piece of lumber with which you were going to get hit... the trick was to avoid the thin dowel rods as they would sting like hell... best bet was to pick a piece of wood that was difficult for him to hold so he couldn't get good whack at you.

Pretty much every teacher had their own strap, some where worse than others.... I always wondered "where do you buy a strap like that " ???? is there a special teachers catalogue for different models of punishment equipment... image of teachers in the break room salvating over the latest "X100 Enforcer elephant hide with reinforced stitching, comfort grip handle and steel inserts" :)) :rotfl:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:49 pm 

whitestar wrote:
Quote:
slapping was still "par for the course" in those days and was administered with relish by some teachers,

still par for the course when I was there... in fact my very first day at the College I was given " six of the best" for being "cheeky" to our Latin teacher... which i thought was a little harsh 'cause his family had a house ( for summer holidays I think) around the corner form us in Thomas St and I pretty much grew up with him and his brothers during the summer months, playing football etc... all I said was "Yo, Marty, how's it hanging" ... guess that wasn't the expected form of greeting to a teacher ;) :rotfl:

I bet you didn`t say that again !!.................................................................

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:53 pm 

point lass wrote:
think you've got the wrong end of the stick Northbrook - the miscreant is being referred to for "mitching" , not for uniform violations :D

I know exactly what B&b`s talking about, can you not leave that wee fella alone...........................

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:09 pm 

If I remember rightly a certain teachers strap ( One of particlar ingenuity and which looked bespoke) was spotted one summer in Charlie McGreevys shop in for an overhaul/service ! :rotfl:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:43 pm 

No straps in my day, all canes, and hidden up the sleeve of the soutane...........................................

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:45 pm 

Ah the memories! Six of the best. The punishers did not use the straps on us though. The preferred method was the cane which the priests could conceal down inside the soutane. Others carried them proudly to discourage any misbehaviour or thought of asking how it might be hanging.
Dr. Brooks also used his for educational purposes. If you didn't know your latitude from your longitude, you got one across the finger tips. Those prone to getting in trouble (not I, of course) would go to the jakes beforehand to hit a handball against a wal until the fingers were numb. See, it did have an educational impact. Is "impact" ok to use in this context?
North, your recall of the nicknames was great. Thanks for refreshing my dimming memory.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:54 pm 

As big a deterrent as the fear of the strap was............... being sent out to other classrooms to obtain one by a teacher who didnt carry his own strap! (was this just an Abbey thing)??
The embarassment of knocking on a classroom door.......going up to the teacher to say..excuse me sir, but Mr so & so asked me if he could borrow your strap!!
Not wanting to glance down at the pupils..you could almost sense the sharp intakes of breath..especially if the borrower was adjudged to be no slouch at wielding the dreaded thing.
Trying not to look sheepish and chastened when returning the strap was an ordeal in itself too!
Oh happy days!! :rotfl:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:04 pm 

Anyone remember the room at the end of the study hall, the one with the secret door that led to the chapel gallery ? Well, the only time I got six of the best was when the whole class disappeared up that staircase to hide on "Ma" Boyle, the only female teacher in the school at that time, she went straight away for the President who caught us all red-handed, six of the best on each hand, as we were getting caned we were all told, "This is to teach you manners" , I think it worked.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:13 pm 

StLouisGuy wrote:
Was that Malachy Finnegan?? He was the curate at the Point way back when.

Fr.Finnegan was parish priest of Clonduff (Hilltown) in more recent times.
I remember one Palm Sunday, when just before 11.00 mass, the army for some reason sort of commandeered the chapel car park,and soldiers actually took up positions at every corner of the chapel with guns trained towards the road and the football field.
Someone rang the door of the parochial house to inform Fr.Finnegan of this intrusion,and ive never seen a man so enraged as he was then....he practically ran up to each soldier and gave them such a berating....they were all gone in minutes!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:15 pm 

plenty of information....

The numbing effect of the handball is certainly remembered.

To the best of my knowledge the only priest still wearing a soutane when I was there was the diminutive Fr. Boyle who used to patrol the corridors as if on wheels....

As for the secret door at the back of the Study hall ( M33 ?) I was there a long time before I knew of its existance as there was the Junior and the Senior study Hall and we only went to the "Junior" when we had a "Free" which was rarely.... and went to the Senior when we became Seniors (Obviously!)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:23 am 

Charlotte's Treat wrote:
plenty of information....

The numbing effect of the handball is certainly remembered.

To the best of my knowledge the only priest still wearing a soutane when I was there was the diminutive Fr. Boyle who used to patrol the corridors as if on wheels....

As for the secret door at the back of the Study hall ( M33 ?) I was there a long time before I knew of its existance as there was the Junior and the Senior study Hall and we only went to the "Junior" when we had a "Free" which was rarely.... and went to the Senior when we became Seniors (Obviously!)

Wee Billy ( Fr. Boyle) was also called the ghost 'cause it looked like he was floating down the corridor wearing the soutane :lol:

I also remember a time when, before class started another pupil from a well-known 'Point family ( i won't name names...) was messing around with a handball and it ended up on top of the big closet type thing on which the blackboard was installed ( you could walk in behind it).... so he climbed on top to retreive the ball when Mr. "suchy" Kelly ( another 'Point man) came in to start the English class... rather than getting down, the aforementioned 'point student laid flat on top of the closet/board and whenever Suchy was facing the class, the student would pop up to make faces etc... and had everyone in stitches throughout the class :)) :rotfl: ...... the best part was when the bell went and everyone was getting ready to leave... Suchy ( without blinking an eye or looking up once throughout the whole lesson) says calmly and quietly " ...and McNulty, take yourself off to Fr. Finnegans office and explain where you've been for the past hour " :rotfl: :rotfl:

P.S. legend has it that "Suchy" got his nickname many years beforehand when he frst addressed a class and said " my name is mr. Kelly and I want to be known as such".... so he was called "Such" :cheers:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:26 am 

Ah Whitestar, you have definitely made an old past pupil feel great knowing that the younger generation was every bit as mischievous as ours. I had several good belly laughs at the antics described by all of you. :rotfl: :rotfl:
North, was Ma Boyle the art teacher?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:57 am 

Yes ,she taught art,or did her best, art in those days was not a popular subject , and was treated as a waste of time by most of the boys.......................not like today I must quickly add, before I incur the wrath of all those brilliant artists and designers that have been produced by our schools in recent years...........................

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:58 pm 

I never quite got the hang of my Latin....I didnt quite know what was nominative or accusative. Ablative or dative. The strap never instilled facts and therefore I never got past...

Puella romanae est ambulant in horto in urbe. Cave equus !

A fiver to the first scholar who corrects that awful attempt to recreate Ecce Romani !!!

It would be a great hobby now perhaps to learn the language but it was the only one that I really struggled with.... (ok I gave up German as well after a fortnight having semi mastered Was ist das & Das ist ein bleistift ! ( I have made no effort to get the spellings right by the way so please accept luck over judgement!)