oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:57 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:07 pm 

St Colmans Early Eighties
All of those in this photo went to primary school at either St Peters Warrenpoint (6), Burren (1) or Clontifleece (1) except one who doesnt come from the 'Point but did become a world champ in his chosen sport.

Note: Four are wearing identical glasses :rotfl: God Bless the NHS !!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:34 pm 

second from the top (on the left)is that Gerry Gaughan....and would the sports champ be Ronan Rafferty?.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:46 pm 

I think Ronan went to the Abbey...............................

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:57 pm 

THE BOY IN MIDDLE WITH GLASSE,S MARY RUDDY,S SON THE boy beside the red head is he Paul Kearneys son?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:12 pm 

Good Evening...

Firstly there are no Gerry's....

Ronan did go to the Abbey so its not him. And also as far as I remember he was never a world champ although obviously you can't be one in golf apart from doing a Tiger and becoming permanently ensconsed at the top of the world order of merit. As it happens Ronan to the best of my knowledge did once top the European order of merit ..I think.

The "Plus One" is the only one not excised from the picture who is not from Warrenpoint but I left him in as he was a World Champion not so very long ago and therefore quite well known and even at that stage when the photograph was taken he had a great interest in the sport in question. He's actually from Ballynaskeagh (hope thats spelt correctly and a point to anyone who knows where it is!)

Theres just been another post and its not right either! The boy in the middle is not Mary Ruddys son but I know who you are talking about. He will be appalled at the comparison! He was about 4 inches taller at that stage and was in the same year but a different class. The boy behind the red-head would I think be a bit older than Paul Kearneys son but I stand to be corrected on age of Pauls son but not the identity of the boy in the photo !

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:20 pm 

my last go at this is the boy in middle McCann from Springfield Rd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:23 pm 

The McCann you are thinking of also went to the Abbey !! A very successful scholar he was too. He was exactly the same age though and was not dis-similar. Think he was a Young Scientist of the year or something but also a lot taller !!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:27 pm 

CLUE

Bottom left comes from close to the Forth Road/ Burren Road/Smalls Road direction .....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:45 pm 

these lads were all two or three years behind me at the college but I think that's Petey Higgins bottom left and John Hall's younger brother in the middle ( forget his first name though) - that has to be an O'Tierney with the red hair ( Turlough I think ? ) - Edmund woolsey's son is top left corner... I think the world Chmpion is one of the Lennon's from outside Poyntzpass ( wasn't one of them a champion jockey or something? - I was in same class as Pat Lennon and I think this looks like his younger brother..

that's my best guess - probably WAY off though !

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:04 pm 

Left:Eamon Woolsey,Larry Duggan,Turlough O Tierney,Liam Robertson+Peter Higgins Middle:James Hall,..... Lennon+Jason McNulty(C.T) Right:Sean Daly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:05 pm 

whitestar wrote:
that's my best guess - probably WAY off though !

Whitestar that was a pretty dramatic guess....excellent. Right with just a few tiny corrections.

You got Pete Higgins younger brother of Hugh and who had quite a few sisters. You also got John Hall's younger brother..James.

The red hair I thought would be a giveaway and of course it's Turloch O'Tierney the youngest of the family. And Edmund Wolseys' son is in the top left -Eamon Woolsey.

Your best answer though is getting Dermott Lennon who was Pat's younger brother and who suffered quite a few tragedies as I think two other brothers died in accidents. One by way of a quad bike near home and the other in a car accident on the way to a competition that Dermott was competing in in the Netherlands.

Anyway Dermott was a World Equestrian Champion ( not a jockey but very very close) and wasn't too far from Poyntzpass. He was actually from Ballynaskeagh which is a townland close to Loughbrickland and their house was very clearly visible from the old road south of Loughbrickland on the A1 behind the lake and he always loved horses and certainly much more than schoolwork !!

As far as guesses go that gets the gold star!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:09 pm 

Clonallan I just saw your reply posted after mine and just adding Turloch, Natallya and Patrick are alive and well in Dublin.

Well done though on getting Larry and Liam and you skipped out an "A". Did you not know that the McAnultys get wild grumpy when you call them McNulty !! :--)))

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:15 pm 

Thanks about that information C T sorry about your missing A

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:29 pm 

If I had a pound for every time the A was missed... Cheers !! :-):-)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:45 am 

Charlotte's Treat wrote:
[color=#4040BF]
whitestar wrote:

You got Pete Higgins younger brother of Hugh and who had quite a few sisters. color]

..... and I remember the Higgins Girls very well also !!! ;) ...good looking family if I remember correctly

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:04 am 

What year did Violet Hill start requiring uniforms? I was there from 1955 to 1961 and the only uniform we had was that glorious scarf. Have to admit though that they look good. Kind of makes it hard to do a little mitching though. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:52 am 

StLouisGuy wrote:
What year did Violet Hill start requiring uniforms? I was there from 1955 to 1961 and the only uniform we had was that glorious scarf. Have to admit though that they look good. Kind of makes it hard to do a little mitching though. :thumbs:

I started at the college in '78 and uniforms had been worn for years before that... so I guess it was some date between '61 and '78 that unforms came in...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:06 pm 

I'm waiting on a reply from a past pupil older than me who started in the early '70s...It would be interesting to find out when the uniform was introduced and was it different to what it is now.

As for mitching.. The Ave' up to the school was so long most people were caught before they got half way. I do remember one escapee though who decided to head back home towards Lurgan and got well up the Tandragee Road.....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:21 pm 

StLouisGuy wrote:
What year did Violet Hill start requiring uniforms?

I think Pat it was when they saw how good we all looked in our Abbey uniforms! :-):-)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:17 pm 

Charlotte's Treat wrote:
I'm waiting on a reply from a past pupil older than me who started in the early '70s...It would be interesting to find out when the uniform was introduced and was it different to what it is now.

As for mitching.. The Ave' up to the school was so long most people were caught before they got half way. I do remember one escapee though who decided to head back home towards Lurgan and got well up the Tandragee Road.....

it was near impossible to get out without being spotted either going up the Ave, across the football pitches and fields to the belfast road... pretty sure they modelled guantanimo bay on St Colmans... nowhere to run and nowhere to hide :-S

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:29 am 

The Abbey has uniforms too!!!!! My God, what is the world coming to? I hope the scarves are still used those. Those were marks of honour at all the schools. They were also respected by rivals. We had a tradition of exchanging tassles from the ends and putting each other's school colours on our own scarf.

As far as the long avenue, it used to be bypassed by slipping through the Bishop's grounds. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:35 am 

Des Mc Cabe from Summer Hill went to St Colman,s his first year would have been 1969-70 and they had uniforms then.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:21 pm 

Charlotte's Treat:

Any chance you could post the complete photograph?

Thanks,

expat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:46 pm 

No problem ex-pat!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:00 pm 

Thanks CT,

Memories! (Although fading more than I'd like)...J1C if I'm not mistaken?

Top: Eamon Woolsey, (John McEntasney?), Oliver Reel,? , Aidrian Byrne, (Aidan O'Rourke?), Aidan Brooks, ?

Larry Duggan, Turloch O'Tierney, ?, James Hall, Dermot Lennon, Paul Shields, (Hickey?)

Liam Robertson, ?, (McDonald?), ?, ? Stephen Jones, (Larry Taylor?)

Pete Higgins, (John ?), (Dominic Donnelly?), Jason McAnulty, ?, Sean Daly.

Ones in brackets I'm not sure of. Could you fill in gaps? (And provide corrections?)

Thanks,

expat!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:24 pm 

Hi Ex-Pat...I know what you mean about the memory but you did pretty well ! I will try to complete and/or amend as best I can....

Back: Eamon Woolsey, John McAtasney, Oliver Reel, John Rogan, Adrian Byrne, Aidan Savage, Aidan Brooks, Jim Quinn

Larry Duggan, Turloch O'Tierney, Donal McConville, James Hall, Dermot Lennon, Paul Shields, Sean Murphy

Liam Robertson,Geoffrey Pearce, Chris McDonald, Chris Hickey, Shane McKee, Stephen Jones, Terry Taylor

Front: Pete Higgins,Anthony Kieran, Dominic Donnelly, Jason McAnulty,John Doyle, Sean Daly.

Regards.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:57 pm 

If its any help I started the College in 1976 (?) and uniforms were worn then, at that time you could only get them in McCartans in Sugar Island or O`Hares in Lurgan. The uniform has remained the same apart from a new Raincoat in the last couple of years.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:45 am 

Charlotte's Treat wrote:
Hi Ex-Pat...I know what you mean about the memory but you did pretty well ! I will try to complete and/or amend as best I can....

Back: Eamon Woolsey, John McAtasney, Oliver Reel, John Rogan, Adrian Byrne, Aidan Savage, Aidan Brooks, Jim Quinn

Larry Duggan, Turloch O'Tierney, Donal McConville, James Hall, Dermot Lennon, Paul Shields, Sean Murphy

Liam Robertson,Geoffrey Pearce, Chris McDonald, Chris Hickey, Shane McKee, Stephen Jones, Terry Taylor

Front: Pete Higgins,Anthony Kieran, Dominic Donnelly, Jason McAnulty,John Doyle, Sean Daly.

Regards.

I would have guessed the blond haired kid secnd from right in front row was a Doyle - his older brother ( Dessie ) was in my class, John is the spitting image of him - i think there was another brother ( Paddy ?) in between the two of them.... if I remember correctly they may have been cousins of Dermot and Pat Lennon. ;--)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:11 pm 

Hi Whitestar....

I honestly didn't remember John Doyle having any brothers but he was a quiet lad and whilst I can't add anything to a connection with the Lennons I have a vague feeling you may well be right. The McConville from Banbridge who is also in the photograph had a cousin Anton from Lurgan in the same year. Anton now lives in Canada the last i heard!.

Also for any casual observer happening upon this...Aidan Brooks in the photograph was the Bishops nephew who was formally President of the College (The Bishop not Aidan :P ) . Aidan was one of the first people ever to be excused from doing Irish for the third of the first three years as he scored 17% in his summer exams in second year and it was felt all round that it would be a good thing were he excused...I hope he never reads that :--)))

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:26 am 

...CT was John Doyle from somewhere outside of Lurgan ? ( or maybe Loughbrickland ?) if I remember correctly that's where the Doyle's were from ( if it's the same family)