oldwarrenpointforum

Making people late for appointments since 2007
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:25 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:49 am 
VIP
VIP

A new service has started today from the British Library - giving access to national and regional newspapers covering the last 200 years or so from across the UK and Ireland. Searching the database is free but you have to subscribe to view the actual newspaper scans......various options for subscribing are available. For the serious researcher the one year unlimited option seems to be the best value.

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.u ... %20ireland

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:42 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cheers Pat, I'll look into that - might be worth using as there would be some articles in there that the local papers would maybe not have. I don't think it's worth me paying for the year though, as last time I researched and accessed some archives (the water getting switched on here) I found and paid for 4 full pages, sat for almost an hour scanning, fixing and uploading and and not a single reply did I get ~x( I suppose I don't really mind that as it was read quite a few times, but a simple reply would maybe have made me more motivated to return and get some more (Its hard to get motivated these days) :rotfl:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:44 am 
VIP
VIP

An excellent link and useful resource, thanks for posting Pat .....................................

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I paid for the two day access - and (so far) all the articles are from the Belfast Newsletter and are in themselves (mostly) reprints from local press. I've downloaded a few and will post them soon anyway as there are some interesting ones. There are also a few snippets (not big enough to download) including some gory ones such as a report of two brothers fighting and one killing the other, and a man being kicked to death by a horse in the square in the 1830's