oldwarrenpointforum

It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Glen Waterfalls Newry
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:59 am 

All

Jim

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:13 am 

It`s such a shame that this beautiful waterfall has been lost from sight.............another gem silveryfox........

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:11 pm 

northbrook wrote:
It`s such a shame that this beautiful waterfall has been lost from sight.............another gem silveryfox........

Northbrook can you give more info on this please.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:26 pm 

Where in Newry?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:40 pm 

Would that be up around the Dublin road area ? not too far from Barcroft park..but little further south

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:26 pm 

.Those waterfalls are on the Glen river and as far as I know they still exist today, they are hidden behind the wall on Glen Hill at the bottom of the Dublin Road............ The Glen Estate, on the junction of the Dublin Rd. and Bridge St. was built by P.Carvills of Warrenpoint in the 1960`s ............................................................

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:44 pm 

northbrook wrote:
.Those waterfalls are on the Glen river and as far as I know they still exist today, they are hidden behind the wall on Glen Hill at the bottom of the Dublin Road............ The Glen Estate, on the junction of the Dublin Rd. and Bridge St. was built by P.Carvills of Warrenpoint in the 1960`s ............................................................

That's the area where my Mum grew up ( Thomas street, which is no longer there, behind cleary crescent and near bridge street) and she recounts many happy tales of childhood playing in and around the Glen area. Like the 'Point, the face of newry has changed drastically over the years ( even more than Warrenpoint) and has also lost alot of character and sense of community over the years. My cosin, Paul Toner, lives up Glen Hill area - his father, my uncle, Eamon Toner, was a big 'doggy' man in his day and would run the greyounds in the fields around there years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:41 pm 

I'm originally from this area in Newry and spent many, many hours playing in the Glen. It was nice to jog the memory with this photo. The river first appeared in my memory as 'The Spricks' at the top of Doran's Hill. We used to catch 'sprickely-backs' there and put them in jam jars - of course they never lasted too long after that!

The river then flows down The Glen, which runs along the side of the Barcroft Estate and the old fields that used to line the Glen Hill - nowadays occupied by Glen Hill Park, Brannock Close, Glen Court and Brannock Heights. If you come up Doran's Hill (Barcroft Hill) going towards the new bypass, there is a small bridge at the top of the Doran's Hill / Watson's Road junction under which the wee river flows.

It continues down the steep drop with many falls along the way. There used to be a nice path alongside, but I haven't been there in about 40 years so I'm sure it has changed! I remember 'big boys' constructing a rope swing by tying a length of old rope onto a branch of a tree which was growing up the steep banks of the river and bravely swinging out over the river . It was a huge drop down to the ground which fell away from the base of the tree down into the river. Everything was great fun until the rope broke and one of the lads, an Ellison if I remember correctly, fell down and broke his leg. We weren't allowed back into the Glen for the rest of that summer.

At the bottom of the Dublin Road, at the junction of Dublin Road, Drumalane Road, Dominic Street and Bridge Street, the river flows under the junction, past what would be the old distillery and down to to turn sharp right along the boundary of The Quays. When I was a youngster living on the Drumalane Road opposite the Chapel, the river flowed along the bottom of our garden before it cut underneath the canal and out into the Clanrye River.

When The Quays was being developed, the course of the river was piped to allow the new construction, thereby hiding the river to townies' eyes forever.

There is another river, coming from Bessbrook, that also cuts through the centre of Newry and under the canal before discharging into the Clanrye - again it was piped and hidden from view when the old Creamery and Haldane Shiells' yards were being turned into the new Health Village.

I seem to remember a time when the cutting of this latter river under the canal collapsed and the canal started draining away. The drain was halted by throwing in an old mattress and piling clay on top of it, and as far as I know that is still there today!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:18 pm 

You don't think of something like that
being in Newry.
I remember the Clanrye when I
was going to School there in the
late 50's and it was awful.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:05 am 

xpaddy wrote:
You don't think of something like that
being in Newry.
I remember the Clanrye when I
was going to School there in the
late 50's and it was awful.

It still is!

Although these days the river is a lot cleaner. You can see otters and other such wildlife along the banks on some of the quieter stretches.