oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:04 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: From "The Gap"
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:40 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post subject: Re: From "The Gap"
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:32 pm 

The people in the second photo (number 2) look like members of the McNeill family, who lived in Newry, but have very strong Warrenpoint connections?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:55 pm 

dukestreet wrote:
The people in the second photo (number 2) look like members of the McNeill family, who lived in Newry, but have very strong Warrenpoint connections?

The lady seated is my great aunt Kitty Gallagher she married Tom Magee and lived in Lurgan he worked in Mc Cabes pub (mollies)in the 20s. the people standing are there children.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:48 pm 

Correct and right Art.

My Grandfather owned two pubs in Belfast during the early twenties... The troubles were bad then. Having a young wife and baby daughter plus his in-laws he was concerned for them. He rented the pub in Duke Street and moved his family there in around 1921-22, I think... He hoped that he could eventually move back to Belfast... Meantime thinking this he kept on the businesses in Belfast... Mr Magee was the barman in Duke Street at that time.

Grandfather sensing that things were not improving sold his businesses in Belfast and bought Duke Street. I have always known this... I think one of the pubs was on the Oldpark Road.. Not totally certain.. Will have to check with Aunt Molly.

Dots can be connected everywhere......

Deirdre

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:49 pm 

I actually might have a photo of Mr Magee.. Think I saw it one time... Will try and locate but not sure if I can find it.

Deirdre

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:54 pm 

the first photo is another Great Aunt Elizabeth (lizzy) married name was Duffy she returned to the point late sixties and lived in Charlotte st near the entrance to Clermont.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:08 am 

Hi,
The first picture is My grandmother Sarah ann Gallagher who came to Glasgow with her young son, My father Owen Gallagher . Gran came to Glasgow to help take care of her sister Rose Ellen O'Donnell nee Gallagher children after her sad death in 1937. My gran was never married to My fathers Dad who came from Warrenpoint, My father died in 2009 never knowing who is father was. It would have been good to know who my Grandfather was as My Dad always talked fondly of is early years living with his Mum and Grandparents , William and Mary ann Gallagher at 14 Charlotte street, many a happy story he use to tell how as a young boy his grandfather William would take him by the hand to the Baths were he work. The lady mentioned was My Grans sister Lily Duffy who returned to Charlotte street from Perth in Scotland .Auntie Lily returned to Warrenpoint after the death of her husband Joseph Duffy.
Kind regards
Kathleen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:30 am 

Kathleen Ann Chikosi wrote:
Hi,
The first picture is My grandmother Sarah ann Gallagher who came to Glasgow with her young son, My father Owen Gallagher . Gran came to Glasgow to help take care of her sister Rose Ellen O'Donnell nee Gallagher children after her sad death in 1937. My gran was never married to My fathers Dad who came from Warrenpoint, My father died in 2009 never knowing who is father was. It would have been good to know who my Grandfather was as My Dad always talked fondly of is early years living with his Mum and Grandparents , William and Mary ann Gallagher at 14 Charlotte street, many a happy story he use to tell how as a young boy his grandfather William would take him by the hand to the Baths were he work. The lady mentioned was My Grans sister Lily Duffy who returned to Charlotte street from Perth in Scotland .Auntie Lily returned to Warrenpoint after the death of her husband Joseph Duffy.
Kind regards
Kathleen

Sorry Kathleen, i got my Gallaghers mixed up. I hope you are keeping well. :--)