McCabe’s Greengrocers and Taxi’s Church Street

Everyday stories and pictures about the people who have lived and live here, from shopkeepers to town characters, this is their home. Any picture that can be accurately dated will be in its own sub-forum.
This section is kindly sponsored by Duane and Deirdre Murphy
Message
Author
victor
Member
Member
Posts: 416
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:08 pm

Re: McCabe’s Greengrocers and Taxi’s Church Street

#91 Post by victor » Thu May 03, 2012 1:06 pm

Brian wrote:Image

Myself, cousin Julie, Neil and cousin Christopher McCabe on "The Wall" outside 33

As they are now

Julie with her family now and Chris with his wife Liz.

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
xpaddy
Member
Member
Posts: 5192
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: McCabe’s Greengrocers and Taxi’s Church Street

#92 Post by xpaddy » Thu May 03, 2012 7:05 pm

Victor - lovely photos.
It's nice to see them as children,
and then as adults.

yellowline3
Member
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:15 am

Re: McCabe’s Greengrocers and Taxi’s Church Street

#93 Post by yellowline3 » Thu May 03, 2012 10:15 pm

jinty wrote:Did no-one comment on the gorgerous bridesmaid.... sob....sob :xmassmile:
Jennifer i think you looked great. I can remember standing on you Nan's wall waiting for Violet and Gregory to stop at the house. Violet was beautiful and the first bride i saw close up! I can't be sure but I think they stopped to see Granny McCabe I could be totally wrong here. I do remember you letting me dress up in your bridesmaids dress and the beautiful matching shoes. I also remember going up to visit Violet in the mobile home with Sylvia,up behind the clinic. Happy days...

victor
Member
Member
Posts: 416
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:08 pm

Re: McCabe’s Greengrocers and Taxi’s Church Street

#94 Post by victor » Fri May 04, 2012 6:12 pm

yellowline3 wrote:
jinty wrote:Did no-one comment on the gorgerous bridesmaid.... sob....sob :xmassmile:
Jennifer i think you looked great. I can remember standing on you Nan's wall waiting for Violet and Gregory to stop at the house. Violet was beautiful and the first bride i saw close up! I can't be sure but I think they stopped to see Granny McCabe I could be totally wrong here. I do remember you letting me dress up in your bridesmaids dress and the beautiful matching shoes. I also remember going up to visit Violet in the mobile home with Sylvia,up behind the clinic. Happy days...
You're right about Greg and Violet stopping to see granny McCabe after the wedding, as she was very ill. She died while they were on their honeymoon. She always had a 'soft spot' for Greg.

yellowline3
Member
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:15 am

Re: McCabe’s Greengrocers and Taxi’s Church Street

#95 Post by yellowline3 » Sun May 06, 2012 10:32 pm

Hi Victor, Glad to know that my memory is not working too badly.My mum wasn't sure if it was Granny McCabe or Granny Cole that they stopped to see but i only remember Granny Mc Cabe. I also remember you and Caroline comming down with Julie as a new baby and being allowed to push her in the pram up and down the street. That is a beautiful photo of her with her own family she looks very like Caroline and Christopher looks very like you.

User avatar
sfriers
Member
Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:57 pm
My real name: Shawn Friers
Contact:

Re:

#96 Post by sfriers » Mon May 07, 2012 8:07 am

Brian wrote:I have actually found a set of rental deeds that my Great Grandfather Charlie signed back in 1933 for 33 Church street....

From that document I learned the house was called "Taradale" and the rent was £40 a year. You could not rent a room for a week for that these days, let alone a house :shock:
How on earth did you find these? I'd be very interested to find the same for the McGuffins at 29 Church St.

victor
Member
Member
Posts: 416
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:08 pm

Re: McCabe’s Greengrocers and Taxi’s Church Street

#97 Post by victor » Mon May 07, 2012 9:47 pm

yellowline3 wrote:Hi Victor, Glad to know that my memory is not working too badly.My mum wasn't sure if it was Granny McCabe or Granny Cole that they stopped to see but i only remember Granny Mc Cabe. I also remember you and Caroline comming down with Julie as a new baby and being allowed to push her in the pram up and down the street. That is a beautiful photo of her with her own family she looks very like Caroline and Christopher looks very like you.
Hi I assume I am communicating with Theresa McAnulty????Or whatever your married name is? Yellowline3 doesn't really tell me much!!

User avatar
Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 10474
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Warrenpoint
Contact:

Re: Re:

#98 Post by Brian » Tue May 08, 2012 12:23 am

sfriers wrote:How on earth did you find these? I'd be very interested to find the same for the McGuffins at 29 Church St.
They were in some old folder we found at home, if any are about for 29 they would have been kept with all the other legal documents, I can only assume whoever was last in the house (or the landlords family) would have them?

yellowline3
Member
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:15 am

Re: McCabe’s Greengrocers and Taxi’s Church Street

#99 Post by yellowline3 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:09 pm

Sorry Victor I should have signed my name its Feirin McAnulty (McArdle) the one after Theresa. Im not great with this computer, as Brian could tell you! a bit afraid of pressing the wrong thing on it. I need lots more practice.

victor
Member
Member
Posts: 416
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:08 pm

Re: McCabe’s Greengrocers and Taxi’s Church Street

#100 Post by victor » Wed May 09, 2012 9:03 am

yellowline3 wrote:Sorry Victor I should have signed my name its Feirin McAnulty (McArdle) the one after Theresa. Im not great with this computer, as Brian could tell you! a bit afraid of pressing the wrong thing on it. I need lots more practice.
Thanks Feirin. Probably wouldn't have been able to spell your christian name anyway!! It's a long time since we were neighbours. Hope your mum and all of the family are well. Have you followed in your mum's tradition with the harp which we used to enjoy listening to.

yellowline3
Member
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:15 am

Re: McCabe’s Greengrocers and Taxi’s Church Street

#101 Post by yellowline3 » Fri May 11, 2012 9:21 am

Mum and everyone are well Victor, thanks for asking. Plenty of instruments being played in the family but sadly no one took up the harp.

User avatar
Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 10474
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Warrenpoint
Contact:

Re: McCabe’s Greengrocers and Taxi’s Church Street

#102 Post by Brian » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:22 pm

Image



Image

User avatar
jinty
Member
Member
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:31 am
Location: THE COMMONS

Re: McCabe’s Greengrocers and Taxi’s Church Street

#103 Post by jinty » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:43 am

:D Great Photos Brian, do you think anyone will figure out who everyone is?
Jinty

User avatar
Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 10474
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Warrenpoint
Contact:

Re: McCabe’s Greengrocers and Taxi’s Church Street

#104 Post by Brian » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:40 pm

One more for the family history page - This is the late Billy and Nellie McCabe's granddaughter Judith McCabe-Wells (David and Sylvia's daughter) who carried the Northern Ireland Royal British Legion Standard at the Festival of Remembrance in the Royal Albert Hall this weekend.

Image

HughT
Member
Member
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:01 pm

Re: McCabe’s Greengrocers and Taxi’s Church Street

#105 Post by HughT » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:55 am

Fascinating family history Brian , Your grandad made me welcome when we came here to live , and we used to have great craic together.

We were kindred spirits as we both smoked pipes , his choice was clan . He was a kind man always smiling

Post Reply

Return to “'point people”