oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:21 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

33 & 37 Church Street.....

I could probably fill a book with memories and stories of life in 33 Church Street, but I don’t want to bore you all to tears :)

My earliest memories are of my grandparents, Joe & Sadie (Nan & Granda to us) showing us young ones how to serve in the shop, weigh up “spuds” and carrots, and how to read the old scales to work out how much those bananas were, while Granny Cole (Sadie’s mother) and Granny McCabe (Joe’s mother) watched on from the kitchen while we tried in vain to wrap a turnip up in newspaper, only for Joe to show us how it was done in what seemed like 4 seconds.

I don’t remember much about my great grandmothers as they died while we were quite young, but I never remember any bad times with them around so they must have been nice enough :)

I remember quite a few Sunday mornings when one of us would have to get up early to let the rector in to get bread for the communion, I don’t know if that was because we gave him the bread or he forgot to bring his own. :)

The shop was closed at 6 o’clock on the dot, but the door while closed over, was very rarely locked, and all people had to do was push it open slightly and knock on the glass door to get anything they needed, that was true of many of the shops in the town, as most people lived over the shops, you could always be sure you could get what you needed. Seeing that picture of Lilly Heatley reminded me of that, as she was always calling around.

There was always comings and goings between the neighbours, from the McGuffins below us, and McAnulty’s and Billy and Nellie McCabe above us, and we always spent “Top of the pops” night in Billy & Nellie’s (or simply “37” as we called it) as Granda did not like “that modern noisy rubbish”

As we were in “uncle Billys” we would help out from time to time either in the kitchen, or answering the phone or door when people would call for a taxi, and I often spent many a day or night up in the old garages at the back washing and polishing the cars and the hearse, never once thinking in later years I would actually be driving them occasionally.

One little story sticks in my head, and it was the time “Dana” (Rosemary Scallon) had just moved out to Moygannon, and she would come in and get her fresh fruit and veg in our shop quite often, and we met her and Gloria Huniford out at the house one day as they were filming her asking how good her “Christmas” was. --- In November :lol: But the best part was she was in Spar the day before, getting some shopping and had drawn a bit of a crowd, so she had slipped away and was in our shop talking to my mum and dad when Gerry Gallagher came running in “great excitement! Great excitement” he shouted... “Dana was in spar!” and ran straight back out, not realising she was standing right beside him. :shock:

I have many more memories, and will bore you all with them some other time :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Follow up posts:

Pointman

Thats my uncle Gerry alright LOL LOL . Talking about Dana when i was a young lad my dad did their gardens for years so grew up knowing them ,So when Dana had a little girl called Grace I was invited to the Christening at the house were there many of stars well household names of the time LOL LOL Cannon and Ball were there .

I enjoyed the day and was funny hearing everyone thinking I was a Brown Dana's maiden name when I was a little Gallagher from Mourne drive at the time LOL LOL

dude

Very surprised you have not mention anything about weighing them God damn spuds for 50p each time. All the money was then spent in Mortons on the way to the beach. Cannot remember exactly how many bags were done but boy did it seem a lot.
Next thing I remember about Church Street was the jam getting cooked in the back hall and then finally what about the great piece of homemade shortbread cooked by your Gran that I always seem to get with a cup of coffee. Mine you in them days I was not all that fused on coffee but the things you had to do to get a piece of shortbread.
Another small thiing that stands out is the room between the shop and the kitchen seem to be a meeting room for all that wanted to come in for a yarn, in Mccabes you could wander in stay for a coffee and a chat and leave again. You didnt really have to buy anything if you did not want to.
Oh yes nearly forgot what about those lovely Friday evening trips around the town that you and your Dad did. McCabes on wheels straight to your door, you did look forward to those trips. Ha Ha

admin

Some parts of my childhood I try to block out.... thanks for sending me back to therapy again :lol:

Yes, poor Joe would call down at the silliest of times, just as we started to pack the spuds in the back sheds. All hands on deck in those days, no excuses you just got stuck in. (or had to listen to the abuse)
that's how it was done then, all by hand. No machines to do it for you, the bags were hand tied as well (something you learned to do quickly as the bags mounted up in front of you)

The shed could be a cold place (well it was always cold to be honest) so a little heater gave what heat it could and we soon had a production line set up.

The bag of spuds would be tipped onto a table complete with a home made wooden "chute" and a bit of wood at the end to stop them all rolling out, then you held the bag at the opening as somebody shoved the spuds down, once filled it was onto the old brass scales, spuds added or taken out as needed, and onto the person tying the bags. In later years we got one of those machines for tying the bags (like they use on the bread these days) but mostly they were hand tied. We usually did about 5 or 6 half hundred weight bags at a time but at weekends, this was maybe done twice a day, and at christmas..... well... lets just say daylight was for wimps.

The finished bags would then be piled onto some wooden flooring covered in old carpet (to keep the frost off them) and in winter they were covered with a big blanket and a heat lamp left on.

wheel barrow loads full of these bags (7lb 5lb and 3lb) would then be ferried into the shop, everything from White's to Blue's whatever was in season and lest we forget the wonderful Cyprus potatoes. :shock:

Oh yes, that's one breed you won't forget in a hurry, they were fine when the season started, but towards the end when some of them would "go off" the smell was nauseating to say the least, and it was a real Russian roulette job as you put your hand into the bag, and more often than not produced a sodden wet rotten smelly spud :(

happy days indeed.. i think....

(to be continued...................................)

:wink:

Gareth t

And who can forget about the buckets/bowls of jam that sat outside the back door leading to the garden that the bees and wasps regularly committed suicide in. LMAO

admin

Yep.. best way to trap a wasp was to leave it a little swimming pool :lol:

with all the baking, jam making and cooking going on, wasp's used to make a beeline ( :roll: ) for the kitchen, so we left little traps for them. They were very effective i must say 8)

I can also remember at certain times of the year, there would be a turkey hanging in the back kitchen (scullery) window, just like you would see them in the butchers, and when it came time for plucking we usually made ourselves scarce very quickly.

When it was Jam making time, the kitchens would be very busy, as in the early days you did not freeze fruit, and it had to be made into jam as quickly as possible, many many nights of "topping and tailing" Gooseberry's and blackcurrants, washing strawberry's and raspberry's, (trying not to eat more than you were preparing) loading up the big preserving pans (we still have 2 of them) and constant stirring.

then you had to pot the stuff... of course this meant that the jam jars all had to be washed and dried properly, hundreds of them at a time.

once the jam was in the pot, on went the little wax disc, and then came the cellophane top attached with an elastic band. and boy they could hurt when they broke.

still, once all was done there was always pots of tea and plenty of scones and soda bread to put jam on :lol:

st louis guy

Well, thanks a lot Brian! Making me hungry again. Before it was Joe Duffy's meat pies and now the fresh jam and soda bread. Maybe I shoud eat more before I get on here.
The turkey story made me recall when the farmers would come round before Christmas selling turkeys. Live ones! They kept fresher that way, I guess Lol. Anyway, before the big day, they had to be dealt with, which meant, well you know what. Then they were plucked, and a newspaper on fire was held underneath to make sure all the feathers and stubble were burnt off. Then hung upside down to drain the blood!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Some Pictures:

I am told that was not our donkey, but possibly a neighbours one? anyway, the picture shows "Granny" McCabe (Joe McCabe's mother) with Victor McCabe, Roy Colvin, Gregory McCabe and my mother Glynis McCabe. around the early 1950's.

Not quite Church street.... but this is (as far as i know) the only photograph we have of my great-great grandfather Charlie McCabe in his post uniform along with his wife, and the 3 boys Freddie, Joe and Billy

Granny McCabe, Victor McCabe, Lizzie McClements, Sadie McCabe, Nellie McCabe

Robert McCabe, David McCabe and Hugh McAnulty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have actually found a set of rental deeds that my Great Grandfather Charlie signed back in 1933 for 33 Church street....

(click to enlarge)

From that document I learned the house was called "Taradale" and the rent was £40 a year. You could not rent a room for a week for that these days, let alone a house :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:15 pm 

Brian where is Victor McCabe, I having seen that guy in over 40 years. He must be around the 60 mark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Victor is in Glengormley, a retired headmaster now, and would be down here a few times during the year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:46 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I wonder how many of you have picture like this?

this is Sarah & Joseph McCabe, there is a picture above of Charles & Mary McCabe, (my Grandad's parents) and Sarah and Joseph were his parents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:49 am 

Wonderful picture of your great-great-grandparents! And it looks like "non-studio" also. Sarah is looking right at the camera but Joseph seems a little perturbed by something or someone off to his right. Probably one of the young mischievous McCabes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:12 am 

What a wonderful photo Brian to have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:43 pm 

Hi Brian I have read your topic on MC CABES greengroceries. I can re- call as a child my late mother shoped there. The smell of the fresh veg and the smell of the jam wafting from the kitchen bring back wonderfull memories. Your late great grandmother and your late grandmother always had time to chat to their customers.

Post subject: at work in the fields
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here is my Grandfather Joe McCabe, with his trusty Fergusson tractor. This is one of the fields at Orchard Hill .

Here is the same tractor, with some of the "workers" :lol: Included is Gregory, Robert & Victor McCabe, although we are not 100% sure who the other boys are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Amanda, and welcome to the forum :) Mum mentioned she was talking to you down town about the forum, and yes there was always plenty of chat in the shop, its a wonder some times anything got done at all. :)

Mind you things were so different in those days, no distractions like afternoon TV or computers 8) I think the most technical bit of equipment we ever had in the shop was the scales :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:25 pm 

Could you not ask Robert McCabe to tell you who the other guys are in the pix on the tractor, or maybe your uncles could tell you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Already asked both of them, Victor was not sure, and Gregory has not replied yet, I have not seen Robert about recently, however as he is quite young in the picture he may not know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mother and Paul McAvoy outside the shop, Halloween 1981

Sam Maguire (one of our veg suppliers) also in 1981

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh this takes me back i can tell you.......

This is a picture of myself, my sister Jennifer and brother Neil taken around about 1971 when i was 8 :cantlook: It's fair to say you would not recognise any of us from that picture now :)

The cake in the picture was made by my grandmother (Sadie) from a recipe printed in one of the magazines she used to buy, and was basically a series of shaped sponge cakes covered in icing and sweets.

Interestingly, the photograph was taken by JJ Boyle (photographer) from the square (his stamp is on the back of it) and there was another one of the cake by itself that I think ended up being printed in the magazine that had the original recipe.

unfortunately, by the time the cake had been shown around all the various womans institute meetings and the like it had gone stale, but we were allowed to eat the sweets off it 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:34 pm 

How angelic you look, like butter wouldn't melt in your mouth.
It is lovely to see some colourful photos now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:28 pm 

JJ Boyle who took the photgraph now lives in Coventry. His neice now takes photos for the Newry Reporter. Do you need another clue

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:04 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

bandsman wrote:
JJ Boyle who took the photgraph now lives in Coventry. His neice now takes photos for the Newry Reporter. Do you need another clue

nope :wink: she lives on Summer Hill 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:28 pm 

are you not supposed to get permission to show a photo bri?? You're not supposed to show me looking so sweet and innocent! :oops: Did you get paid for weighing spuds like Joe? I didn't, sex discrimination!! Never mind .... I had the pleasure of the holly wreaths at Christmas, my fingers will never be the same again. ..... p.s. new to site so don't know about threads and things... as bri says I'm slow about technology! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

permission? Not from family, no :lol:

and no we never got paid for any work we did apart from pocket money, and i too suffered because of those damn wreaths.

Don't forget we shared our rooms (and I mean rooms) with all the boxes of plants at christmas, those things were all over the place, on the landing, in the bedrooms, the hallway and anywhere else that was not warm (ie: most of the house :roll: ) No central heating in those days eh? :lol:

Oh, and welcome to the site sis 8)

Post subject: Another few
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A couple more I found tonight when going back over the albums

Joseph McCabe (My great great grandfather)

This was taken in the back garden of 33 Church Street, and I don't have all the names, but I do have:
Back row L-R Charlie McCabe (postman and my great grandfather) Joe McCabe (grandfather) Achie Cole (my Great uncle - Sadie McCabes brother)
Front row L-R Billy McCabe (great Uncle) - unknown - Freddie McCabe (great uncle)

My great great grandmother Sarah, and her son Charlie with an unknown lady in the glasshouse up in the market garden (now Orchard hill) Sarah in typical stern Victorian pose 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have also recently found these confirmation cards. Charlie McCabe's from 1907

and my Grandfather Josephs from 1931

I note that Joe was confirmed in Rostrevor, and Charlie never showed up for his first one :) (at least it was never marked in)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:35 pm 

Your Granda's 1st communion was after his confirmation, so maybe Charlie didn't take his card when he attended!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Joe & Sadies wedding group photo in the market garden (Orchard Hill)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:57 am 

Great looking family there, Brian. Shame all the good looks went to your sister. :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:27 am 

Wonderful a contribution Brian !
Seeing that picture of the boys on the back of the tractor brings back memories of the days I lived in Summerhill. I can remember watching the potatoes being picked from a vantage point at the bottom of our back garden, which in those days bordered the fields. I can remember feeling envious of the bigger boys as they appeared to be enjoying themselves although I am sure it was hard work at times. When we were feeling adventurous we would sometimes 'sneak' into the fields and it seemed like a whole new world. I can also remember getting my first sight of the 'new' St. Peter's Boys School as it was being built from the top of a hill, I suppose where Orchard Hill / Carnmeen Park is now....in those days of course there were not so many houses to be seen...if only I had taken a camera with me back then.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:41 pm 

Remember the smell of freshly baked apple tarts and the smell of jam, Mmmmmm :>

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:31 pm 

Theres something really striking about the great grandmother Sarah pic. What is it about photos of this era that are impossible not to look at even though the subjects are not known to us?!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:21 pm 

Victor and Roy Colvin were in my class as Dromore Road Primary. Nice to hear about them.

Didn't one of our teachers Miss McLoughlin lodge in a house between the shop and Coffey's shop? She was one fierce lady.