oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:25 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:38 pm 

Another great inovative idea Brian, and what about the Hughes family of Clonallon Gardens up first.
Back row L-r, Louis Rodgers, Hank Locklin, Gary Hughes, Barney Devlin, Gerry Hughes, Micheal Hughes, P. J. Hughes.
Middle row L-r, Mrs. Teresa Hughes, Harry Hughes & cravat, Judy Hughes, Margaret Hughes.
Sitting at front Margaret Hughes.
I believe this pix was taken about 1966/67 in the foyer of the Osborne Hotel, Hank Locklin the American c/w singer was playing at the Osborne to a packed house. He had a couple of number 1 hits worldwide in the early 60's, and had just finished his set when he was ambushed by the Hughes clan. By all accounts he had a great nights crack with that bunch, as any one who knows them will testify.
Louis Rodgers was the father of Clodagh who had a couple of major hits in the early 70's, they had a shop in the Square in the 50's.
There shop was where the Kabin (?) is now, though I could be corrected, as I am not really sure. He was an uncle of the O'Hanlon family who resided in Clonallon Gardens.
Louis Rodgers was an impressario who brought lots of big name acts to Ireland in the 50's and the 60's, there are too many to name, Eddie Calvert, Alma Cogan and Tom Jones to name but a few.
I can almost hear the younger site watchers groaning and saying "Eddie who?" and "Alma who?" go on ask your parents, well grandparents then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:31 am 

Rodgers or Rogers operated a petrol pump and shop in Church street later taken over and run for years by Paddy Mcgill & family. That and the sweet shop next door formerly run by Mary Digney, originally from Dundalk and later by May Crawford are now what you might call a convenience store, could be called the Kabin.

Or is that name from TV's Coronation Street, which the missus loves but I can't take more than a few minutes of.

Between Paddy Magill and the bureau (Broo) was a home bakery known to me as the Star, but called Irwins or something. (no actual baking on site)

Last time I was back it was called Small ???, what they'd call a dollar store in the USA

Fourth of July today? never noticed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, it's called the kabin all right, but may crawfords old shop is now part of the post office, the bakery i remember allright, but it also lay vacant for years (it was owned by the Henry family) in the early 80's it was a video library and hi-fi/computer shop, that I worked in called "Visions" owned by the late Donal Gavaghan & family. it was empty for another few years and was used by the SDLP as an office, and later the maiden of the mournes used it as an office as well before it became "Small things" 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:40 pm 

I believe you mean The Star Bakery, then maybe Irwins took it over or just renamed it. When I was a youngster in the 50's, it was run by a lady called Miss/ Mrs. Evans, a Scottish person, I think she may have lived up the Burren Road, just across from where Fegans Motors is now. Later Mrs. Watson from Great Georges St. was the manageress, I am not sure when it closed.
The Star Bakery used to sell ice-cream in a wrapper popped into in a square shaped poke (3d), and they made their own 1 (old) penny ice-lollies, those two items would have kept you going all day, sheer heaven. Am I imagining this or did it really happen at that price?
Brian I think you are right that the Henry family did own those premises.
I can remember John McLorey, having a garage before Paddy Magill took over, and before that again, a man named Bertie Brown had a garage on the same premises. I am going into uncharted territory here, and you would have to get those facts verified, by some else.
I do seem to remember a lot of people getting bycicle punctures repaired in the Bertie Brown/ John McClorey place. There appeared to be more business with bikes than cars in those days.
Jimmy Rodgers who owned the garage on Summerhill was a brother-in-law of the afforementioned John McClory, so that might tie in with your memory of the petrol pumps in Church St.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:54 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

as I mentioned above I do remember the bakery, my mother said that my great aunt, Mrs Thomas from Great Georges St worked in it, and it was a great little spot. I remember those ice creams as well 8) and i have mentioned them in the thread about sweets etc here:

http://www.oldwarrenpointforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=631

It was a bit like McCanns bakery up where the travel agency is now at the Alexandria, my memories of that place centre around standing in the door way trying to shelter from the rain waiting for the bus to come and take us to Newry high, while looking at the empty shelves, as they waited to be filled when the delivery van arrived after we left.

And then in the afternoon after school being sent up to get some buns, as although we had our own little bakery, we did not make cream doughnuts 8)

oh... no... i so want a doughnut now.... :?

Post subject: Star bakery
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:49 am 

Did I leave out the word Bakery, owned by Irwins bread from Portadown?,

Now called Small Things after proprietor E Small.

The garage was Rodgers, before McLoreys and then Paddy Magills. last time I was back the guy who ran the Kabin then, Eamonn X from Mayobridge, told me that Clodagh Rodgers had showed up. possibly with a TV crew and he had shown her round the ancestral home, including the attic, which had not been swept for years and was partly added on by PMcGill anyway

Post subject: hughes family
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:20 pm 

Back: L - R Barney Devlin Gerry Hughes

Front: L - R Garry Hughes Margaret Hughes, PJ Hughes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:05 pm 

Mary Digney was not from Dundalk.

Post subject: THE HUGHES FAMILY
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:36 pm 

Iremember Teresa being all excited going to the Osbourne that night ready to meet HANK LOUGHLIN,and did you know........SHE and GERRY sat upstairs inTHE OSBOURNE with another icon....RONNIE DREW from the DUBLINERS, and she got a hair from his beard.........iT WAS BECAUSE THEY WERE A MUSICAL BUNCH,she a pianist,he an MC at different functions.......and then again THE HUGHES, WERE VERY FRIENDLY WITH LOUIS,GERTIE,CLODAGH RODGERS,which gave them the opportunity to meet these icons and just be that one step ahead of anyone else at the time........I must admit I was a bit jealous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:53 pm 

Louis Roger's shop was a drapery, run by his wife who was Mrs O'Hanlon's sister. Later Mrs Rogers opened another shop in Newry, round the corner from JV Kelly. Both shops sold very good quality clothes!

Post subject: The Hughes Family
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:40 pm 

I hate to seem to be correcting what people are posting but,
Bornandbred, Mrs. O'Hanlon was Louis Rodger's sister - not his wife's
sister. His wife was Gertie Mulvey of Newry. They originally came from
Galway where their father was a member of the RIC. Gertie's two sisters
had a clothes shop in Mill Street in Newry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:36 pm 

You're right again mce! Sure didn't I forget that Louis was Clodagh's Da!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:13 pm 

Brian wrote:
No, it's called the kabin all right, but may crawfords old shop is now part of the post office, the bakery i remember allright, but it also lay vacant for years (it was owned by Brian Henry - may still be) in the early 80's it was a video library and hi-fi/computer shop, that I worked in called "Visions" owned by the late Donal Gavaghan & family. it was empty for another few years and was used by the SDLP as an office, and later the maiden of the mournes used it as an office as well before it became "Small things" 8)

Actually it was uncle ( JJ henry), not my Dad ( Brian) who owned the shop - he kept it for many years with the idea to return from London ( where he has lived for more than 40 yeras now) and set up his own Chemist shop - the shop has been used for many purposes over the years, my unvle rented it out when anyone needed it, but finally sold it off about 15- years ago.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Actually it was uncle ( JJ henry), not my Dad ( Brian) who owned the shop - he kept it for many years with the idea to return from London ( where he has lived for more than 40 yeras now) and set up his own Chemist shop - the shop has been used for many purposes over the years, my unvle rented it out when anyone needed it, but finally sold it off about 15- years ago.

Ah, well at least I had the right family :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:53 am 

I remember John McClorey with the garage just before i left in 1960 and it was taken over by Paddy Magill. But could someone clear up for me something i heard and am not too sure about, that said John McClorey was the grandfather of Frank Mitchell from UTV as Frank's mother was John McClorey's daughter. I am afraid the old grey matter is in such a state these days that i don't always seem to have the ability to work out when someone has fed me a load of c--p, thank goodness for this site. Never worry about Google ask it on the Forum.
Donaghaguy[Wim]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:01 am 

Donaghaguy wrote:
I remember John McClorey with the garage just before i left in 1960 and it was taken over by Paddy Magill. But could someone clear up for me something i heard and am not too sure about, that said John McClorey was the grandfather of Frank Mitchell from UTV as Frank's mother was John McClorey's daughter. I am afraid the old grey matter is in such a state these days that i don't always seem to have the ability to work out when someone has fed me a load of c--p, thank goodness for this site. Never worry about Google ask it on the Forum.
Donaghaguy[Wim]

I will let someone else confirm or deny the fact that John McClorey was Frank Mitchell's grandfather.......I am not 100% sure of my facts on that one,but I can tell you that Frank's real name is Frank McClorey, and his father was Frank McClorey who owned the furniture shop in the Square.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:07 am 

John was Frank' Mitchell's uncle Joanne.... Frank McClory his father, Lily his mother... They had a little electrical shop beside Jimmy Cummin Butcher before my Aunt Christina took it over and changed it into Drapery....... They moved down beside DA West and had quite a large store there. Mrs Rafferty/Mullan worked there for many years ........ When Anthony Mckay was young, he helped in the shop... It was a great place to drop in for a chat... Happy and Civil Times....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:09 am 

Frank Mitchell's mother is Lily McMahon ............ A more pleasant, friendly person you couldn't met.... Lily is great.....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:27 am 

Deirdre wrote:
....... They moved down beside DA West and had quite a large store there.

McClorey & Sherry I believe it was then.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:08 pm 

I believe the late Frank McClorey, (of McClorey's & Sherry', Electrical contracters, and shop in Church St.) was the father of Frank Mitchell (Frank McClorey Jun.)UTV weatherman et al,.
I think Frank McClorey (Senior) and John McClorey (Garage) were brothers. Susan McLorey whose husband Jimmy Rodgers, (Rodgers Garage on Summerhill) was another sister.
Vincent McGovern's (Oversea's Shipping/Haulage Co., top of Duke Street) mother is another sister.
Was McClorey & Sherry's shop situated where the Cofee/Piazza shop is now? It seemed bigger back then.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:10 pm 

Apologies I didn't realise there was a second page with more up to date posts.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have an old picture..

from another thread, but it does show the shop (and John Beggs bakery) in the background :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:17 pm 

I remember very well when
the shop was beside Jimmy Cummings.
My uncle Barney Kane was an
Electrician there for many years.
Ailish Magill worked there as
Secretary/Bookkeeper.
Probably late 50's.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:09 pm 

Indeed Ailish worked there... Dallan Reilly too, I think he was an apprentice electrician at the time... Think so...

The back of that little shop joined our back in Mary Street. So as kids we were always looking over the wall at the comings and goings.....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:04 am 

Deirdre wrote:
Frank Mitchell's mother is Lily McMahon ............ A more pleasant, friendly person you couldn't met.... Lily is great.....

Could this be the same chubby wee Frank (Mitchell) McClorey Jnr who used to DJ at the Burren Disco's and had a cereal bowl hair-cut and went by the nickname "Bubbles" ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:25 pm 

I never knew Barney Kane worked for McClorey and Sherry, when they traded up beside Jimmy Cummings.

I remember on a few occassions sitting with Barney Kane, Joseph 'Dodo' Farrell and one of the Twin Magee's, (I still don't know which one,) under the big tree in Rostrevor Square, and enjoying their splendid company, when you departed from the presence of those men, you definitely were in a happier mood.
I really don't think those people and that era in which they lived will ever be replicated, which is really a sad thought.

I think McClorey and Sherry moved down the street to face The Square about 1961 or 1962, I am not really sure, maybe some can find out.
I remember Donal Tinnelly and the late Brian 'Cabbage' Boyle from Rostrevor being the electricians then. Yes I remember Mrs. Mary Rafferty The Square, Finnoula Sloan, (Killowen),(?) and the late Mary Rice, (Mrs.J.O'Sullivan) working in the office and looking after the books.

McClorey and Sherry had a great sign painted above their name on the front of the shop. It was a pair of cupped hands catching two electric bolts, it signified that all their work was carried out to a very safe, high standard, and the man who painted it was Big Frank Sherry from Iveagh Avenue. I think it was done in gold leaf, and I remember in the summer of 1963 seeing two American male tourists staring up at this local masterpiece rather admiringly, and taking lots of photos, they were really impressed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:06 pm 

john mcclorey R.I.P. was F Mitchells uncle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:55 pm 

Uncle Barney worked there for
many years.
Mommy (his sister) said he was
a great electrician.
"Do do" Farrell was my first
cousin.
Uncle Barney, I always thought
looked a bit like Randolph Scott.
Nice memories for you Dukestreet.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:38 am 

How great to see Dad and Hank with the Hughes Family, I remember them all very well, they were close friends of Mum & Dad.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:38 pm 

I love this site.

It's great to go back and see the wee things you have missed such as this page!

Cheers.