oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Pleasurestep
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've had an email from Richard Banyard in Wirral, here it is with the photo he sent.

Code:
PLEASURESTEP

In the 1950s I would visit Warrenpoint with my Mum & Dad, from Liverpool. We would stay at 'Pleasurestep' which was run by Mary 'Lala' Jones whose mother and father also lived on the smallholding where the family kept hens. My mother had been at school in Liverpool in the 1910s/1920s with Mary and her sister Nellie Allen who had a comparatively modern house next door to 'Pleasurestep'. They had a brother who worked for the Electricity Board.

Nellie Allen had a son, Roy, who was with Customs & Excise. When we first visited we came by train from Dublin and our bags were searched at Gorraghwood station by a pleasant young officer. We did not realise it was Roy until we got to Pleasurestep and spotted his framed photo there. Roy and Nellie kept pigs and turkeys. When Roy married, he and his wife emigrated to Newcastle, NSW, Australia and in due course Mary & Nellie also settled out there.

I remember Brigid who helped Mary and also Brigid's son Raymond who was about my age.

By pure chance, a few days ago I met a lady who told me that her grandmother by the name of Webber had come to England from a house called "Pleasurestep" near Warrenpoint. That would have been some time before the Jones family took the place.

Please find attached a photo of Nellie (left) and Mary 'Lala' (right) taken, I think, outside Nellie's home.

My Dad smoked a pipe and when he was running out of his favourite Erinmore tobacco he would send me with a bit of cash to cross by the Narrow Water (rowing boat) ferry into the Republic to buy some more.

Best wishes,

Richard Banyard

(Wirral)

Post subject: Re: Pleasurestep
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:45 pm 

So that's the Lala Jones my Mum used to refer to, we used to roll our eggs there.
Thank you for that!!!

Post subject: Re: Pleasurestep
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:56 pm 

Hi Brian

When I asked the forum for help with my Lindsay/Small family research a few years ago, (2009) Northbrook mentioned a possible connection with the Smalls/Joneses from Pleasurestep. I am wondering if Richard has any information which will help me - and of course if I can help him I will be glad to do so.

Regards to everyone who has helped me via the Forum in the past

Steamer