oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:52 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:12 am 

Hi ! My grandmother use to tell me the story about Jenny black when I was a little girl as she used to live in Warrenpoint. Over the years I wondered to myself if the story was true and every time i drove through the point I was always reminded by looking over at Jenny Black's Cafe on the main street (which is no longer there). Recently I was in Haverns and bought a book called "Legendary Stories of the Carlingford Lough District" and there was a story entitled Jenny Black's Hill which of course refered to Dallan Hill near the old church. It said that Jenny was an old woman who lived in a cabin on the hill which was then covered with trees and that she was held in " the greatest terror by those believers in witchcraft and sorcery". In the book it says she was burned at the stake on the hill and I wan't to know if there are any records of this witch-burning in Warrenpoint or is it just a fictional story. I would also like to know what happened to the cabin or house in which she lived in.

Finally I would like to ask those people who are from Warrenpoint or who have heard the story of Jenny Black to tell me there stories or any information at all about her as I think she is a magnificent character in the history of the area and also for those who live on Jenny Black's Hill if there is any ghostly goings on

Thanks
Alice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:48 pm 

I noticed some views but no answers and I also want to know about this .I wish i knew Alice to enlighten you but its the first I heard of it and I lived here all my life and I think I even have that same book you have. ~x(

anyone know anything it sounds really interesting? is that the clonallon church you are talking about also?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:52 pm 

as a child we were told that jenny blacks wuz old woman and wuz a witch and i just thought it was a mith are a tale never question it to c would be interesting to c if anyone comes up with any stories must ask my mum............

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:08 pm 

Yeah I said that the hill is near the Old Clonallon Church thanks for asking your mum any information at all would be so helpful

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Its just a story, a little bit of popular folklore ;) Jane Black (her proper name) was not a witch, and was in fact related to the Day family here in Warrenpoint. the late Gladys Day had her inscribed bible I imagine it is still in the family somewhere :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:19 pm 

Thats very interesting about the Day family it something i must inquire about but im hoping for alot of new information about Jenny (Jane) Black as i know more than just a selected few have heard about her in the point area and there must be some stories about the hill or her that have been past down through the years in families and i ask for anyone with even the smallest info to post i would be so thankful

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:40 pm 

Her grave is in Clonallon graveyard.....around the left hand side of the Church...or so I was told......

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:30 pm 

Brian wrote:
Its just a story, a little bit of popular folklore ;) Jane Black (her proper name) was not a witch, and was in fact related to the Day family here in Warrenpoint. the late Gladys Day had her inscribed bible I imagine it is still in the family somewhere :D

I never knew that, Brian. I must ask Colin about this, mabye he can supply more info on Jane!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:20 am 

Brian wrote:

Is she related to the Day family or the Toombs family ? ....................................................

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Could be both? I don't know about the Toombs family connection, but I was told about the Day family connection before (by May Goucher many years ago) the Day family connection is also mentioned in Robert Jones book.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:58 pm 

come on everybody keep them coming :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:58 pm 

Gladys Day was Toombs. Her husband Hubert Day was from Newry.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:29 pm 

Interesting story Alice, but would like to think as Brian that is an old story as I walked up there many
many times to see my granny in Clonallan and no one told me of this !! :[ :[ :[

If I had heard this I wouldnt have been so keen, but know my dad walked it or cycled manys a night ;;)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:06 pm 

Jenny/Jinny/Jane Black had a previous outing on the Forum.

Below is a link to Dukes Streets earlier contribution. A poem that had been printed about the witch.

http://www.oldwarrenpointforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1177&p=8350&hilit=witch#p8350

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:56 am 

This story is as bad as fairies being in the fairy glen in rostrevor never met a fairy yet well 1 with wings lmao

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:55 am 

You haven't lived Irish Colleen! No Fairies!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:32 am 

Deirdre wrote:
You haven't lived Irish Colleen! No Fairies!

I agree with you Deirdre sure we all had fairies at the bottom of the garden in Clonallon and i,am sure it was the same in Mary St ;) :--)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:54 am 

Sorry art no fairies in rostrevor only willy the whisp up the newtown road and we had walapy the dog in the fairyglen . The things u were told growing up was unreal even though i believe in the paranormal big time .(now we r goin to start telling ghost stories lol) r u rebecca`s daddy ?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:26 pm 

irish colleen wrote:
Sorry art no fairies in rostrevor only willy the whisp up the newtown road and we had walapy the dog in the fairyglen . The things u were told growing up was unreal even though i believe in the paranormal big time .(now we r goin to start telling ghost stories lol) r u rebecca`s daddy ?

YES I;AM THE MAD ONE ;S DADDY :rotfl: :getmecoat:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:58 pm 

I used work with rebecca lovely gurl .Don`t know u so can`t comment lol But rebecca will tell u who i am nice meeting u :>

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:49 pm 

irish colleen wrote:
I used work with rebecca lovely gurl .Don`t know u so can`t comment lol But rebecca will tell u who i am nice meeting u :>

Thank you for not commenting :rotfl: Rebecca Phillip and Gianluca are coming to stay for a week 27th sept so i will ask then. My wife and children can,t wait to see the wee man >:d<

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:54 pm 

Sorry Art,the only fairies in Clonallon now have taken to the drink,so instead of tidying the park at night they have a party.This is a shame as they were so good when I was a child,they used to tidy my room all the time according to mum :rotfl:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:18 am 

Maybe those who r partying might get a glimpse of jenny black lmao .Or maybe they do after a few bottles lol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:32 pm 

Robert Linden gave a talk on Jenny a few years back, talk was held on the hill.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:48 pm 

LUV Tuftys' comments!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:40 pm 

If my memory serves me correctly, Miss (Rita?) Gallagher the old primary school teacher from St Peters wrote a story on Jenny black which was published (locally at least) in paperback. I think it was in a collection of short stories, but I could be wrong on that front. I remember her showing us the story at the time in class.

Also, I have heard tales of a certain Warrenpoint man (who shall remain nameless) who allegedly borrowed what was believed to be the old Iron spike that marked Jennys grave in Clonallon church. He took the iron spike home one night after a few light ales, thinking it was the correct course of action and was apparently plagued with such extreme bad luck in the coming months that he swiftly returned the spike to the church thus ending the period of ill fate that had befallen him! This tale, I have heard from the horses mouth!

The legend continues...............!