oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:55 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

When doing a bit of research on an unrelated matter, I stumbled upon somebody's "blog" about walking up to the big stone in Rostrevor, and he mentions this dolmen.

:?:

I can find no reference to it anywhere, and looking at the pictures I think it is on the "old walk" side of the climb up (the one used before the road was put in) the blog is here: http://huttonian.blogspot.com/2006_04_01_huttonian_archive.html scroll down about half way and you will see the other pictures. If this is there, why is it not mentioned or even marked? surely something like that would have some sort of historical value? after all Kilfeaghan dolmen gets a look in, why not this one? maybe its not a dolmen, but it looks like one to me :-??

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:05 pm 

I did that walk to Cloughmore the "old way" many many times, & can't say I remember anything like this. That's not to say it isn't there-I may have been focusing on things other than ancient monuments at that time! It does look like a dolmen, & if it is I agree with you, it ought to be marked & signposted. This looks like a modern photo, any idea of the date it was taken?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

April or January 2006 according to the blog link above. have a look at the link, I assumed it was the "old way" up due to the steepness of the path, I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:14 pm 

Just looked at the blog - the writer seems pretty certain it's on the route to the stone. Would bear further investigation by one of the younger (and fitter!) forum members, when the weather improves of course!
I have to add I didn't much care for the blog-writer's comments on why the dolmen was unmarked, pretty unfounded I'd say. Still, I guess that's what bloggers do, & at least it brought this to our attention.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah yes the magic of blogging :roll: As a rule I take everything in a blog with a pinch of salt, but in this case its good to be able to read the article to get the location confirmed, and it is good practice to credit people with their work were possible. as you say, one for the fitter members and a better day :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:20 pm 

As the Blogger (http://www.huttonian.blogspot.com) referred to I can confirm the accuracy of the description conveyed by my images. I am basically a Newcastle man and have walked the Mournes extensively but not too often in Rostrevor forest. As far as I can remember we madeour way up through the old oak forest (turning sharp right after entering the first entrance to the forest coming from Kilkeel) heding for the giant's stone on the mountain. We came unexpectedly on the dolmen-which is actually mentioned in early twentieth century history about the Rostrevor area and used to feature in walks starting from the long gone Railway hotel So we were surprised to find no descriptive material near the stones.
I am sorry if my bloggish humour has upset one of your members. Sense of humour failures are a great barrier to blog readers-if upset just don't read on! But if you can bear it and skim through some of the blog archives you will find quite a lot on the Mournes! But most of it is about our present main residence in the Borders of Scotland Peter Hinchcliffe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:41 pm 

Whew! Depends on your "sense of humour" I suppose - I wasn't even aware it WAS humour....guess that makes me emotionally challenged - or something!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for the info Peter, as mentioned if it had not been for your article I would never have known about it. :mrgreen: It does seem a shame that it has been largely ignored, something like that should not be, after all as I also said, Kilfeaghan dolmen gets star treatment, and that one should as well. I would speculate due to its position maybe it would be too expensive to put in proper pathways, but I see no reason why more people should not know of it, and we will certainly spread the word. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:44 am 

That Dolmen is news to me. I looked at a very comprehensive site on Megalithic sites in Ireland with considerable content from Down and did not find this one. I may have overlooked it, though so have included link for those who might want to check further. http://www.irishmegaliths.org.uk/down.htm

It is an impressive one wherever it is and does deserve notice.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:26 am 

Brian. The path to it is or rather was in good nick and my wife andI found it without difficulty as seemingly being the mainpath up the mountain. I just needs a couple of sign posts-and ideally put on the map at the main carpark and signed from there. I will return in February and try and map the best route. Peter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:58 am 

Sorry Born and Bred -no offence intended. Senses of humour vary enormously and being the tenth generation of Ulster folk I know that what seems funny to one type of Norn Ironer is not so amusing to another! I of course do not believe that the lack of any kind of official recognition of the Dolmen is anything to do with its construction long before the emergence of Protestant Ulster! Peter Hinchcliffe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:47 pm 

I have learned something today, I have walked up that path many times and have not seen at all I say put sign posts up

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:58 pm 

Apology accepted, Peter - egg on my face (again!)

I am amazed that none of us locals have seen this dolmen in all our years of climbing to Cloghmore! Could it have been previously buried in undergrowth & recently re-emerged?
Is the path above or below the stone in the photo? If it's above, I could imagine walkers seeing it as merely another rock protruding from the ground.
Just trying to figure how we missed it, but it obviously exists so I think this photo should be published in the local papers. Perhaps then it would be documented in the appropriate guidebooks for the area & properly signposted? Am I being naive (spelling?) in thinking like this?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:46 pm 

The path is below the dolmen. Coming up from the Oak Forest it is on your right. Bushes could have concealed it I suppose but as the image was taken in April 2006 this seems unlikely. I suggest that someone does a little article for the Mourne Observer -I am very happy for the image to be used. Peter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:21 pm 

Been up to the Big Stone today and found the "Dolmen". If you leave the stone and head for the fiddlers green(the stone should be at your back)you will find it on the left hand side just as you enter the forest.Is it a Dolmen?I dont think so. It looks like a natural rock formation to me. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:45 pm 

You may be right but it has all the appearance of a Dolmen. You really need an expert to have a look

Peter Hinchcliffe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:18 pm 

I walked up today to the alleged Dolmen and found it as I left it a couple of years ago. Photos will follow and precise map reference.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:34 pm 

Peter, if that turns out to be a dolmen and I hope it is, you deserve to have it named after you.................if astronomers get stars named after themselves, why not archaeologists..........................

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:06 pm 

Peter Hinchcliffe wrote:
I walked up today to the alleged Dolmen and found it as I left it a couple of years ago. Photos will follow and precise map reference.

northbrook wrote:
Peter, if that turns out to be a dolmen and I hope it is, you deserve to have it named after you.................if astronomers get stars named after themselves, why not archaeologists..........................

You deserve a medal for going up there today.......I've had the heat full on & still feel cold, hope you had your arctic gear on!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:37 pm 

Yes it was cold but the expedition moved fast and kept warmish I cant master the image loading technology on this website so please go to my flickr at :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/oldgreywolf/

and see what you think. I am slightly dubious myself-it could well be a natural rock formation but on the other hand...
THe precise grid ref from the Mourne Country Outdoor pursuits map is 192170. Go up to Fiddlers Green through the Oakwood. Turn right and then left up A steep rocky path signed Cloc More. As that path reaches the edge of the trees about 370 yards short of Cloc More the 'drumlin' is about 8 yards above the path to the right. Easy to muss if you don't keep a sharp look out. Views welcome ! Peter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for those Peter, much obliged :D

I'll repost them here later, for now here are 2 of them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:55 pm 

SO YOU LOT GET THE SHOVALS AND SPADES OUT AND AWAY YOU ALL GO ON SUNDAY AND START DIGGING. we ex pats would love to be there for it but there are no cheap flights this week end but we will be happy with photo ,s :-):-)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:27 pm 

There used to be a few Dolmen about the point years ago ......I'm sure you will have seen them........in the square ........just where you can get a nice cup of coffee today ! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:25 pm 

O S Memoirs Vol 3 Oct 1836 : Giant's Grave or Cromlech.
The cromlech of Kilfeaghan consists of a large block of granite of irregular form, 6 and a half feet thick at the upper end and 4 feet thick at the lower end, supported to the south by 2 large stones or pillars partly buried in the stones of a cairn which surrounds the cromlech. It has been evacuated a little within a few years. Form of chamber : plan dimensions 7, 4 and a half and 3 feet. Upper surface of top stone : plan dimensions 9 and a half and 8 and three-quarter feet. The cairn commences 8 yards to the north of the upper part of the cromlech and ends 25 yards to the south of the upper part of it, being 10 yards broad at the upper part, coming in at right angles at the lower part of the cromlech and then being 4 yards broad. It is elevated 2 and a half feet above the surface of the ground.
Although I had been up the old path to Cloughmore stone a number of times, I never heard anyone mention this cromlech. The O S described Cloughmore stone in 5 lines but required 20 lines for this monument. It would appear to be a much more interesting item than the big stone. You may wonder how ancient people constructed it at that elevation, even were they to obtain the top stone nearby. Stanley

Attachments:
Giants Grave Kilfeaghan (431 x 312).jpg
Giants Grave Kilfeaghan (431 x 312).jpg [ 37.69 KiB | Viewed 4143 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:29 pm 

I am delighted that the provenance has been established. Perhaps someone should put up an information Board? Peter Hinchcliffe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:24 pm 

The stone described above is not the Kilfeaghan Dolmen, it is about four miles further on towards Kilkeel and close to the Cassy Water river and well sign posted.......................see link below for further information ...........................I hope this clears up any misunderstanding there appears to be regarding this dolmen ....................

http://www.newryandmourne.gov.uk/touris ... dolmen.asp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:05 pm 

Does not clear it up at all! What is it then? The specifications of the Killfeaghan Dolmen as described in the OS reference are very similar Peter Hinchcliffe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:17 pm 

I agree, from your photographs the stones close to Cloughmore look very like a cromlech/dolmen with the cap stone clearly supported by two or three pillars typical of many others in our area................maybe I misunderstood Stanley, I thought he was referring to this cromlech as the Kilfeaghan monument ........................................

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:29 pm 

Peter & Northbrook : When I compared the distinctive shape of the top stone in the photograph with the drawing from O.S.c1836 and the description of the underlying cairn of stones, I thought they must be one and the same. I suppose the way to prove it, is to take some more photograhs. Perhaps there are indeed two cromlechs but it would be strange if the O. S. missed one of them. Stanley

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:16 pm 

I'll gladly take more photos next Spring when over from across the water but it really needs an expert to have a look to determine its provenance. Its strange that it has seemingly not been documented before if it is a genuine dolmen Peter Hinchcliffe