oldwarrenpointforum

It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:13 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've heard stories and read various articles over the years about an obelisk in the grounds of Arnos Vale - sort of a smaller monument to the one for General Ross. Now, the problem is the land it is on is private and the landowner does not want hoards of people descending onto his property looking at it, so after a long discussion on the very same thing over on Facebook I will re-publish the findings here. thanks to Bernie and Brian McGreevy and everyone who contributed.

Bernie's post on her findings:

Quote:
There has been much speculation over a pillar that is situated on private property near Arnos Vale. It's known as the 'Horse Monument' as it was thought to commemorate the winners of The Grand National in 1907 and 1910 who were owned by Stanley Howard of Seapoint. However Griffiths Valuation map shows the pillar was there as far back as the mid 1800's. I have heard that there is already a stone at Seaview commemorating the horses.
There is no concrete evidence as to why the pillar was erected but the answer must lie in the ownership of the land at that time.

Edward Rhames Courtenay built, lived and died at Drumsesk cottage, according to records, he also owned the land between Arnos Vale and Clooneaven where the so called Horse Monument is situated. He married his first wife, Mary Long, in 1798. Mary passed away two years later in 1800 and was buried in Cork. Could it be tthat the pillar was erected in her memory? Edward married his second wife Jane Boyd in 1806 and they had a daughter called Jane. Edward died in 1825, his wife much later in 1861. Could his wife have put the pillar up in his memory?

During this time a horse called Mathew was the first Irish horse to win the Grand National in 1847 and it's owner was Cork based John Courtenay, the horse is buried in Ballyrichard, Cork. There is a high possibility that John was a relative of Edward Courteany, Drumsesk. There was a William Courteany of Bally Edmond Cork who was a brother of John of Knock-Barrow (Knockbarragh) Rostrevor. It seems there is a large connection of Courtenays and it's possible the pillar was put there to commemorate the first Irish horse to win The Grand National belonging to the family.The win went down in history as being hugely popular among the Irish, bearing in mind this was at the height of the Famine. The truth is the Irish press largely ignored the race in those days. John Courtenay was considered one of the most ruthless landowners, forcibly evicting tenants for being unable to meet their rent. Maybe a reason for locals to ignore/forget about the monument?

When Edward's wife Jane died the land was passed on to their daughter Jane Courtenay. Jane married Robert Bowen in 1838 and Griffiths maps proves they owned the land in question.
It had also been mentioned that the pillar was a memorial to a dog. A man called Hugh Carleton had also lived at Drumsesk House. He was passionate about coursing and the kennels are clearly marked on Griffiths map to the rear of the house. At that time all the 'big houses' were putting up stones for their beloved dogs. Old Hall Court had three stones down near the stables for their dogs, Greenpark lodge had one also. But Carleton only resided there, the owners were still Jane Bowen nee Courtney and Robert Bowen.

To sum it up I may have come across a number of theories but still found no concrete evidence as to why the pillar was erected.

The fact that word of mouth has it as a monument for a famous race horse and the connection with the Courtenays to The Grand National winner Mathew in 1847 is interesting!
It would be great to hear from anyone who has further information on the pillar. I would just like to mention again that the pillar is on private property and cannot be accessed without permission from the owner.
Thanks to my brother Brian for his help in researching the subject, especially for teaching me how to use the Griffiths Valuation site and maps, fascinating stuff!

Griffiths land evaluation map mid 1800's

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:36 am 

If the horse Matthew won the National in 1947, then my thoughts are that the pillar isn't a monument to him. He surely didn't die straight after winning the race - and the Griffith map shows the pillar as there in mid 1840s.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

1847 Connor ;)

Quote:
Mathew was the first Irish horse to win the Grand National in 1847

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:13 pm 

Brian wrote:
1847 Connor ;)

Quote:
Mathew was the first Irish horse to win the Grand National in 1847

Ha ha! You know I meant 1847!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

And finally a post from Brian McGreevey

Quote:
The recent post my sister, Bernie Mc Greevy and the comments that followed on the so called horse monument at Drumsesk has once again renewed my interest in this pillar and it's a pillar that I know so well, along with the ground it stands on. The story of Eremon and Jenkinstown that both won the Grand National in 1907 and 1910 and thier association with Seapoint has been told before, and it's a story I have often repeated since I first read about it in a local newspaper forty years ago. However, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the pillar that stands on the hill behind the house at Arnos Vale, neither does the winner of the 1847 Grand National called Mathew, whose only connection is that his owner, John Courtenay of Ballyedmond Co Cork had the same surname as the owner of the ground where the pillar stands and he was dead twenty two years before this race took place.

But it is the owner of the ground that is the responsible for the pillars existence and I will now explain why.The pillar once had a spherIcal shaped stone that sat on top of it and I remember it well, The pillar and globe is a well known masonic symbol and this is where Edmond Rhames Courtenay, the owner of the ground comes in.Edward Rames Courtenay was one of the founding members of the Nelson Masonic Lodge Newry 1809-1909 and this is why the pillar resembles Nelsons pillar in Trafalgor square, but on a much smaller scale, If tue, it means that pillar at Drumsesk was built before it to Honour Nelson, both pillars were built by Freemasons.

This is a paragraph from a book written about the Nelson Lodge Newry of whom Edward Rhames Courtenay, who built Drumsesk House and was a founding member of the lodge and it's Secretary. THE TITLE OF THE LODGE. [Our Lodge was founded at a time when the country was in mourning for the death of Nelson, and when the incidents of his short but glorious career were familiar to every member of our community; and, in choosing a title for thier Lodge our Founders made a happy selection The sense of devotion to duty which distinguised Neson all through his life, and which forsook not in his latest hours, will ever be rembered so long as Britain is a nation; and we earnestly trust that the same sense of duty may be a distinguised characteristic of it's members, so long as old XV111 is a Lodge.] So this finally tells us what the pillar is all about, a pillar that has been standing for over 200 years looking out over Carlingford Lough.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:01 am 

Both

:genius: What an excellent piece of detective work.

Jim