PRINCES STREET WARRENPOINT RESIDENTS

This section is for members to post their memory's, old pictures and any other information about the other areas surrounding Warrenpoint, including Carlingford Lough, Omeath & Rostrevor.
mickey p

PRINCES STREET WARRENPOINT RESIDENTS

#1 Post by mickey p » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:47 pm

Hi chance meeting with a 99 year old lady who was having a photograph taken outside house she lived in years ago,her name is Mrs Mc Cluskey who now lives in Lurgan.Her granddaughter had her out for a spin.The Murrays now live in that house and she tells me there was a Dr. Gleeny lived next door,that was back in the forties???The houses were built in 1912 by her father in law??The park opened 1907?I could recall the Cahill family living in 1 princes street,and the mcgarrity family from Portadown before them,the eldest boy drowned in tragic accident while attending university in Coleraine,before them were the Hollywood family (pat) and the Lee family before that (Mick and Derra lee}T he Conways Brendan and Madge lived in number 2 ,for years,before the Lees son Shane and his wife Sheila moved into number 2.

flyght1

Re: PRINCES STREET WARRENPOINT RESIDENTS

#2 Post by flyght1 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:47 pm

Would her name be Miss Mc Comb ?

Meeting Street

#3 Post by Meeting Street » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:09 am

Mrs McComb lived in No 2 in 1940/50 with her housekeeper/companion Miss Evans. Dr
Malcolm Redman and his brother lived in No 1 for a while.

PMontague

#4 Post by PMontague » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:07 am

I am having difficulty understanding the McCluskey story. A Mrs McCluskey in her ninetys died in 2010. Her mother in law also Mrs McCluskey died in Number 1 Princes St in 1943. It is possible that the latter Mrs McCluskey's husband John McCluskey who would have had the wherewithal financially and could have built these houses about 1912. However the McCluskeys resided in Clonallen Glebe where John died in 1939. Can anyone add any new information to this.

forest wall

#5 Post by forest wall » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:53 am

I've nothing to add to the story, I"m afraid, save to say that in my childhood, in 40s/50s, the house owned latterly by Rory Best on Moygannon Road was known as McCluskeys, while the field formed by the bow of the river at that point was referred to as McCluskey's meadow.

Return to “Around the 'point”