oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:27 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Statement 01-11-14
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:26 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Photo Brian McCalmont

To counteract recent negativity and to garner momentum a well attended meeting chaired by Jim Boylan took place on Friday 24 October in Warrenpoint Townhall of the Narrow Water Bridge Group made up of community and business leaders from the towns and villages that surround Carlingford Lough. Also present were the CEO of Louth County Council Joan Martin, CEO Designate of the Newry Mourne and Down Council, Liam Hannaway, CEO of Newry and Mourne District Council Eddie Curtis, in addition our member of parliament, Margaret Ritchie, three of our MLAs Sean Rodgers, Catriona Ruane, John McCallister and a councillors from Louth County Council and Newry and Mourne

Everyone present community, business leaders and politicians committed themselves to find a way of making this vital project happen. It was stressed many times during the debate that the principal reason it has not happened to date is the lack of political will and foresight on behalf of the governments North and South and the lack of support of the United Kingdom for Strand 2 of the Good Friday Agreement.

After a lively discussion a number of points came to the fore. One of the most interesting points was a proposal to add an additional option for consideration for the Southern Relief Road i.e Option 5 Narrow Water Bridge connected to the A1/M1 through Clontygora, an apparently more practical and cost effective option.

The Narrow Water Bridge group a very active pressure/lobby group in existence for some time that intends to keep the momentum going and demand that the bridge is delivered. We are a pressure group formed to increase the awareness of the necessity of the bridge to help improve the infrastructure necessary to improve economic development, to increase and encourage the tourist industry in the Carlngford Lough area, which is currently not getting the share of the increased N. Ireland tourism.

Post subject: Re: Statement 01-11-14
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:41 am 

Clontygora sounds like a townland Fred Astaire waxed lyrical about in "Finians Rainbow",dreadful movie and Astaire's attempted Irish accent was every bit as ghastly as Dick Van Dykes cockney accent in "Mary Poppin's"..anyway good to see Jim Boylan still up for the fray,I feared the Bridge Supremo like General Lee had become war weary,retreated from public office and opted for the quiet life..more fool me!..having said that my sources at Stormont advise that Simon Hamilton has his secretary primed in the event of any incoming call from Jim, to say "he's out..don't know when he will be back"...... kind,gentle Hamilton gird thy loins mate and prepare yourself for one hell of a battle !!

Post subject: Re: Statement 01-11-14
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:05 pm 

Been told today the local pronunciation of Clontygora
is " Clinchycora "

Whatever way you say it...let's get a bridge over to it.!!