oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Joint statement
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Newry and Mourne District Council

Joint statement from the mayor of Newry & Mourne district council and chairman of Louth local authorities regarding the Narrow water bridge project on Friday 26 July 2013

Councillor Michael Ruane, Mayor of Newry & Mourne District Council and Councillor Declan Breathnach, Chairman of Louth Local Authorities confirmed that the Louth Newry and Mourne Joint Committee met on Monday 22 July 2013 to discuss the future of the Narrow Water Bridge Project.

At the conclusion of the above mentioned Meeting the Joint Committee agreed to develop an innovative and robust Action Plan to secure the additional €15 million required to ensure the Narrow Water Bridge Project can be completed as per the original timetable.

Senior Officials from both Newry & Mourne and Louth Council were instructed to investigate the possibility of sourcing a cocktail of funding to guarantee the future development of the Narrow Water Bridge and to report back to the Joint Committee as soon as possible. This work is ongoing and positive signals have been received from a number of funding sources.

The Joint Committee acknowledged the letter of offer dated 9th July 2013 from the Special European Union Programme Body totalling €17.4 million which had to be accepted or rejected within 6 weeks.

Councillor Declan Breathnach, Chairman of Louth Local Authorities stated the development of the Narrow Water Bridge was essential for the continued economic revival of the Louth and South Down regions. He continued by calling all Political Groupings to support the future development of the Bridge.

Councillor Michael Ruane, Mayor of Newry & Mourne District Council stated the Narrow Water Bridge has been very high on Newry & Mourne District Council’s Capital Programme for a number of years and its development will greatly assist in the growth of tourism, economic regeneration and social relationships in our respective areas. He continued by reinforcing that no stone should be left unturned in the final effort to make the Bridge Project a reality.

Post subject: Re: Joint statement
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:49 am 

Spent a very engaging hour in the company of Bridge Supremo Jim Boylan yesterday [ Blue Mountain java and Bagels in the Bric Café ... superb] and whilst like the shrewd political poker player he is, he gave nothing away [ I now have some idea of how Woodward and Bernstein felt in their initial meetings with "Deep Throat"] his mood I am glad to report was ebullient and of controlled confidence ..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:30 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Correct and right - Jim has steered this process of late and has to be commended for his efforts, the way he has handled the various political party's in the meetings was a sight to behold, at the meetings we have had a total and unprecedented commitment to this project from ALL parties. the boardroom I doubt has seen anything like it in decades, where every single person in there was in the same frame of mind and totally committed to this project like (as I said) nothing ever before, maybe save for the baths and parks meetings some 100 years ago I don't think and can't think of any other time you would have had the full spectrum of politics and religion in one room in full agreement.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:25 am 

So we getting a bridge or not?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Work still continues behind the scenes, the deadline for all of this is August the 20th.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:52 am 

Brian, the deadline looms large,
any cause for optimism? ~x(

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:00 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I remain as ever optimistic and we will soon know one way or another.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:14 pm 

Brian, a friend from south of the border,
tells me this project has been put on the
back burner.

Any official news?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That indeed was the last "official" news from there. I know the "deadline" was today but there is a little movement on that so we can expect an announcement one way or another this week. No change in my expectations however and we all remain optimistic. :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:05 pm 

That's good to hear, Brian.

Keep up the good work.!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:54 am 

There was a pronounced spring to Bridge Supremo Jim Boylan's step when I met him on Post Office street yesterday [ one very chipper Evertonion indeed .. even the news that Fellaini and Baines are about to do a bunk could not faze him].. I never doubted you could pull it off Jim not for one second... I know a lot of other people are involved in the Bridge project and have worked "almost" as tirelessly as Jim but to me the selfless Boylan will always be the public face of the entire enterprise.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:55 pm 

Jones Hill wrote:
There was a pronounced spring to Bridge Supremo Jim Boylan's step when I met him on Post Office street yesterday [ one very chipper Evertonion indeed .. even the news that Fellaini and Baines are about to do a bunk could not faze him].. I never doubted you could pull it off Jim not for one second... I know a lot of other people are involved in the Bridge project and have worked "almost" as tirelessly as Jim but to me the selfless Boylan will always be the public face of the entire enterprise.

I hear Jim wants Davy Moyes to open the Bridge when the big day comes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:49 pm 

I'm gonna throw a big spanner in the works here? Why do we need a bridge? Please convince me. ::-(( I hear gasps of disbelief from bridge folk x(

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:41 pm 

Richiemac wrote:
I'm gonna throw a big spanner in the works here? Why do we need a bridge? Please convince me. ::-(( I hear gasps of disbelief from bridge folk x(

If this gets the go ahead as i and many other forum memebers wish to see it would be a plus for the area and the Town if the town has some thing to offer in the way of getting people to stay in the town again as i stated on another thread the town still has major building and building sites left to wreck and ruin. The powers that be are taking far to long over the future of the Bathes simple restore or remove.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:47 pm 

Richiemac wrote:
I'm gonna throw a big spanner in the works here? Why do we need a bridge? Please convince me. I hear gasps of disbelief from bridge folk

Richie.. my first response would be...why not?? Secondly as has been said before (amongst many other positive issues) the Bridge would open up the whole North eastern corridor like never before...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:11 pm 

I think the reasons 'for' the bridge have been well argued previously on the forum and by many others, including notably by Jim Boylan, Brian, Bill Reilly and the other hard working members of the 'Bridge' committee. I suppose from my perspective I can see many positive things about the bridge. For example, from a personal point of view it would open up easy access for walking / cycling / leisure activities on the beautiful Cooley peninsula (avoiding the ugly, frustrating bottleneck at Newry) and would complement what we have already on this side of the lough. I can see myself making many more trips over to the hills above Omeath and Carlingford to take photos...Old Warrenpoint watch out and hopefully it would help me to lose weight in the process!

From a business / tourism perspective I feel the bridge would unite the untapped potential that exists on both sides of the lough and allow communities on either shore to benefit from the tourism revenue that would surely flow in the years to come. If you think of Carlingford Lough as a wonderful tasty chocolate cake that has been cut in half and sits in the Corn Dolly window. If I was a shopper I would be more likely to buy a whole cake than just half a cake on its own. Similarly, if I was a tourist, looking at a brochure and wondering what areas in Ireland to visit, I would be more likely to visit the Carlingford lough area if it was being presented as a whole region with an iconic bridge offering easy access across the region.

Why should the north coast and Fermanagh get all the funding and be allowed to dominate TV and radio. It irritates me that every time a 'tourism' story is featured on BBC or UTV they send their cameras to the Giant's Causeway or Lough Erne. This part of the world never seems to get a look in ! The bridge will serve as a magnet to attract people to this part of the world and help people to become aware of what the region around Carlingford Lough has to offer, which, given some investment can be every bit as good if not better than any Antrim coast road.

I can also see local business / shops benefiting as people in Cooley start to see Warrenpoint as a viable option for their groceries / chemists etc rather than facing the trauma of Newry traffic or taking the long and winding road over Cooley to Dundalk (...could be a title for a song in there somewhere) . I acknowledge there could be a negative point there for our petrol and diesel retailers.

I could go on...... :|

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

:iagree:

Wot he said :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:43 pm 

I agree entirely with the responses
to Richiemac.

Wouldn't it make a great entry in the
Tourist Guides and give Narrow Water
something more appealing than that
which it is currently famous for.

It might also draw some form of
investment on the tourist front, an
area sorely neglected.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:32 pm 

Still begs the question is the town geared up to take the extra tourists and get them to stay longer?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:17 pm 

I suppose it's the old chicken and egg situation. Enhance the facilities / attraction and make access easier and the tourists will come....and the hotels will be built if hoteliers see the prospects are good. We have seen an increase in beds recently but obviously we need more. Of course this is not just about Warrenpoint.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:25 am 

I understand the Southern Government are to meet
in Cabinet this coming week, to discuss a contribution
of € 7 million to make up the funding shortfall.

Would this, if the outcome is positive, be enough to
see this project finally get off the ground ( excuse the pun).

Should this be the case, a vote of thanks is surely due to
all those who have made such strenuous efforts to make
the construction of this iconic structure a reality.

This could be the most important development in the area
for decades, and would surely bring attention to this part
of the Province.

And,as Pat made reference to above, give the cameras of
UTV and BBC a new destination, and the publicity the region
richly and rightly deserves.

The benefits could be enormous.

Well done to all concerned. :-):-) :cheers:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:51 am 

How to get things done :D http://www.t-online.de/nachrichten/vide ... affer.html

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:51 am 

the gap wrote:

I'm sure we can do it even quicker than that Art ;)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:42 pm 

Just seeing report on twitter from Clr. Connaire McGreevy that N&M council have approved additional funding tonight for the bridge in the region of 1.8 m euro and also approved funding to help Warrenpoint town bring their ground up to standard. Watch this space. :-):-)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

patMG07 wrote:
Just seeing report on twitter from Clr. Connaire McGreevy that N&M council have approved additional funding tonight for the bridge in the region of 1.8 m euro and also approved funding to help Warrenpoint town bring their ground up to standard. Watch this space. :-):-)

Obviously I knew nothing about that ;)

As I said before, I remain quietly optimistic but we are getting there nice and slowly. A lot of work continues behind the scenes as I type this, all of it at very high levels but as you say Pat, watch this space :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:38 am 

All very encouraging.

Do hope the efforts of
all concerned are rewarded. :clapping:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:51 pm 

More reports on twitter this evening that Louth Co Council have agreed €2 million additional funding. :-):-)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:05 pm 

Magic......keep the good news coming.! :clapping: :clapping:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:28 am 

Jim Boylan makes one impassioned address to the Louth county council and convinces them to come up with an extra two million big ones [putting themselves in monthly hock to the tune of 15000 euros]..I ask you who is better than this man ..... .... Jim presently in dual negotiations with Meath county council re the sale of some swampland in Florida and a remuda of unshod Wind River country Mustangs !!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:47 pm 

Jones Hill, I know you are with me on this one....it simply MUST be "Boylans Bridge" for dragging this issue, kicking and screaming to fruition!! :genius: