oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:31 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Joint statement
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:18 pm 

wasn't it Ralph Ellison who said "Education is all a matter of building Bridges".I know Jim took great inspiration from these words during the darker days of the Bridge campaign.... days when Sammy Wilson would not return his calls and indeed days when the Minister for Finance and Personnel used to hide in the toilets if he saw Jim coming into the same Luncheonette. At such times Jim was very quick to quote Mark Twain "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous,he will not bite you..this is the principal difference between a dog and a man"....have to concede the savvy Boylan lost me here somewhat as I kept waiting for a bridge reference....but to conclude Jim has delivered as he always said he would and you cannot do more than that...it will indeed have been no small achievement.
Maybe when the Bridge is finally erected we can collectively forgive Jim for bringing former Everton legend Duncan McKenzie to the Dome in the square [Festival 94 ? ] for a question and answer session [Jim having convinced the Committee it would be a sellout ] four people including Duncan showed up .. for the record the other three people in attendance where Jim,his brother Sean and some chap who just popped his head around the door because he had been wrongly advised Sonny Tyrone was playing there that night.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quick update, I've had a quick chat with some of the committee members and have been assured that things are still moving slowly but positively in the right direction with down District Councils announcement this week that they are allocating some funds toward the project as well.

http://www.downnews.co.uk/down-council-to-back-narrow-water-bridge-plan/

Some recent media and social media reports to the contrary are unhelpful but the time frame is still intact, and talks continue at a high level with further discussions due next week.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:41 am 

We still wait patiently, but the signs
are encouraging.
Is that a light we see at the end of
the tunnel.......

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:38 am 

dabarry wrote:
We still wait patiently, but the signs
are encouraging.
Is that a light we see at the end of
the tunnel.......

Might be a train coming from the other direction. :getmecoat:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:46 am 

Art.... :rotfl: :rotfl:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:33 pm 

Brian I am all for patience and quiet industry..but it has all gone too ruddy quiet for my liking, and quite frankly like many others I suspect I am becoming a tad impatient. This entire project has suffered enough delays already and to be perfectly candid I am not sure I could suffer the travails of another one . Shouldn't work have begun by now ?..Have been trying to contact Bridge Supremo Jim Boylan all week to among other things discuss the Bates character in "Downton Abbey"/ "Cleo Lane/John Dankworth" back catalogue, but he has gone to ground and cannot be found... is he avoiding me one wonder's ?.. I must confess at this stage I am more than a little concerned.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

As previously mentioned things are at a very advanced stage and we just have to wait until the team leading the whole thing have finished their negotiations. It is (as you are aware) a Southern government led initiative with moderately small input from the North - Protocol has to be followed and while we do realise there is an urgency I can say that some of the timelines were relaxed and have been told that at higher levels all "noises" have been positive. I myself hope to speak to Jim sometime today (if I can track him down) but a fellow committee member spoke to him yesterday and he was still in high spirits.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:51 pm 

Negotiations/Protocol .. all very Camp David..but I do appreciate your candour Brian. Its just that we are so close,or indeed appear to be .... Jim Boylan "High Spirits".. you do realise that yesterday it was announced England would not be seeded for the Group stages of next years World Cup, might this and the prospect of a lunchtime all you can eat for a fiver platter at a local Eatery have been responsible for the Supremo's demeanour ?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:09 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Camp David has nothing on this :rotfl:

We simply don't have any information so have nothing to report - nobody has, so some people tend to speculate and come up with whatever suits their particular stance - There are either optimists or pessimists and "them that do dwell between" Once we have something concrete I'll post it here. As for the demeanour, I would possibly go with your suspicions.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:40 pm 

Brian wrote:
Camp David has nothing on this :rotfl:

We simply don't have any information so have nothing to report - nobody has, so some people tend to speculate and come up with whatever suits their particular stance - There are either optimists or pessimists and "them that do dwell between" Once we have something concrete I'll post it here. As for the demeanour, I would possibly go with your suspicions.

I like this bit and i quote (some people tend to speculate and come up with whatever suits their particular stance) Ok this is my stance, protocol from the Southern side :rotfl: try this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pkVLqSaahk ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:10 pm 

Whilst the Typist, ageing gracefully and growing a beard, waits
to draft the announcement from the Decision makers, we wait
patiently, or impatiently, as the case may be.

I'm sure Brian will be as keen as any, and more than most, to
let us know if it's "yea" or "nay".

In the interim, those who have worked so hard, for so long to
achieve the desired result, are due our appreciation.

A celebration is in the offing.......forever positive. :cheers:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pretty much Tony, we can't report what we don't know. We as always remain positive and optimistic, remember the so called unassailable hurdles that have already been passed - By the way, Mr Boylan has informed me that contrary to reports he has in fact been in residence for the past week, and will remain so for the foreseeable future and extends a warm welcome for anyone who wishes to speak with him. :friends:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:19 am 

Brian I beseech you..what exactly is it you are waiting to know and subsequently report ? If this info classified or highly sensitive understand your reticence in discussing same. Appreciate everyone involved is working tremendously hard and maybe its because I and many others are not conversant with the very minutiae of the negotiations, but I feel the momentum does appear to have slowed somewhat and indeed among many pro Bridge friends of mine I have of late detected a certain apathy now present where as previously the resolve had been most rigid .. some positive news I feel would re energise all those who are possibly beginning to feel the fatigue factor,whatever hurdles one has successfully cleared the final one is always the most important,let us hope in true Dick Fosbury like fashion we can clear this one..... heading down to Bernie Stewarts to have the brake pads on my steed brought up to operational standard..my route will involve negotiating Post Office street .. you know who can expect a call...I just hope Jim has recorded the season finale of The Newsroom.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:30 am 

If you are looking for something positive, how about this quote from Tuesday's Irish News:

'The tanaiste is equally optimistic that despite many hiccups the Narrow Water bride project will become a reality. He said that the possibility of more money being made available was being "explored" by ministers on both sides of the border.'

Irish News 22nd October 2013

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:40 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Correct and right Pat - and as I said before, once something has been announced by the lead partners in this project it will be posted here and in the national press.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:45 am 

thanks the update Pat..however I really thought that Eamon Gilmore might be a bit further on than looking down the back of the sofa for addittional funds at this stage .. or at least exploring the possibility of same ! I know Rome wasnt built in a day and patience is a virtue but I had hoped brawny constructions workers would be very evident at Narrow Water by now..and hopefuly that Bride the Tanaiste alludes to has found a cure for her hiccups [ on her big day as well !!]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:45 pm 

Brian what is the expected time period estimated for the actual Bridge construction..appreciate major projects of this nature could be prone to delays/over runs of one nature or another.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:34 pm 

Jones Hillock, "Fly-fishing" by JS Hartley is an excellent read.... :stirpot:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:07 am 

herecomestheCONGO wrote:
Jones Hillock, "Fly-fishing" by JS Hartley is an excellent read.... :stirpot:

Read it !!.. its not like anything LeHane or Pelicanos has written though I can tell you that for nowt .. ..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:14 pm 

Are Fergie's book, he's fly too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:52 am 

Yellow Hammer wrote:
Are Fergie's book, he's fly too.
.. If Fergie wants to contribute some royalties from his latest book to help fund the Bridge I would be happy to buy it [ I won't read it,but I will buy it] !!..we could get him over to open the Bridge upon completion. Imagine Fergie and Jim Boylan together...that would be a true test of Jim's now legendary diplomatic skills.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:10 am 

Boylan remains supremely confident ahead of todays crunch Bridge summit in Dundalk .. "No Bridge is not an option" Jim advised when we met last evening.