oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:44 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:11 pm 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-20849579

Has anyone else seen this article on the BBC news page?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:16 pm 

Yes, noticed that this morning.

I assume they have done their sums correctly but if the bridge gets built I can't see too many paying £10.00 or more for a ferry crossing. .. ;--) .

I suppose the attraction for people living down that way would be the time saved in making a journey to Dublin, for example, as they could drive on through to the motorway. The road from Greenore to the Ballymac' roundabout is much improved these days.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, seen it earlier in the paper - If it passes planning it would be something else that could draw tourists to this area, and anything that does that is welcome :D Obviously It would not make sense for those living close to the bridge to use it, but for others in that region it would, so I suppose as part of a "tourist trail" it would work? I can see the advantages, but as Pat says If they have done their sums right and get planning I don't see any reason why it should not go ahead.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:57 am 

I seen alot of anti ferry posters in gardens and house windows on the road down to Greencastle peer and that was in 2009.I can well understand the fears of the people living at Greencastle.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:17 am 

I imagine of of the concerns for people in the Greencastle area is that while the roads on the southern side have improved much in recent years the narrow road past their homes is not ideal for traffic of any kind. On the other hand perhaps a regular flow of cars etc. will generate business possibilities for folks down there....coffee shops etc?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes the roads down there are mostly narrow country lanes, and can hardly cope with summer traffic let alone an influx of tourists and/or drivers just looking an alternative route to/from Belfast or wherever, they would have to widen the access road to Greencastle or possibly put a new one in across the marshes but that would not go down to well I would imagine. That I think would be the main problem (access) never mind the other issues that may arise.