oldwarrenpointforum

It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bettridge family
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:51 pm 

My GG grandparents were from Warrenpoint.... Kate Bettridge (sometimes spelled Betteridge or Betredge) and James Bernard Green married 3/13/1888 in Clonallan Church; and moved to the United States (New York) in 1890. Witnesses to the marriage were Agnes Bettridge and John Caldwell.

- James (b. 1863) was a boat builder/mariner and may have originated from either Belfast or Cork. However, I do not have much information about him or his family.

- Kate (b. 1865) is related to Edward and Ellen Bettridge, merchants of The Square, but I do not know if she was a daughter or niece. Relatives believe she had been a school teacher. The Griffith Valuation, and census records for 1901 and 1911 are either before or after the time that Kate would have been at Warrenpoint.

Might anyone know the history/descendants of this family - either the Bettridges, or the Greens - or able to share any suggestions about where to look for more information? Many thanks for any thoughts... Peg

Post subject: Re: Bettridge family
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:13 pm 

Izranch, I may be able to assist you, as I have an obituary regarding the Bettredge family, which I will post on the site as soon as possible. Another ancestor I think, was Ambrose Bettridge who was the first captain of the John Martin Gaelic Football Club when it was first formed in 1888.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:22 pm 

Thanks, Dukestreet. That could be helpful and reminds me of a memorial card in my collection.... Kate may also have had a relative who became a priest, Rev. Charles Vincent Bettridge, who died Sep. 13, 1890 at the age of 25.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:05 pm 

MRS. MARY CALDWELL,
WARRENPOINT.

The funeral of Mrs. Mary Ann Caldwell, Newry Street, Warrenpoint, a member of an old and esteemed Warrenpoint family, took place on Monday to Burren Cemetery, the large number of mourners present showing the regret occasioned by her death.
Very Rev. Dean Canon M’Alister, Adm. Officiated in St. Peter’s Church, Warrenpoint into which the remains were conveyed prior to committal, and Rev. J. Dargan, C.C. officiated at the graveside.
The chief mourners were-
Ambrose Bettridge (brother);
Agnes and Elizabeth Bettridge, (sisters);
Kathleen Sherry and Mary Caldwell, (daughters);
Ambrose and John Caldwell, (sons);
John, Ambrose, Francis, James, Joseph and Gerald Sherry; John, Robert, Felix, Vincent and Frank Caldwell, (grand-sons);
May and Norah Sherry; Ann and Madge Caldwell, (grand-daughters);
James Sherry, (son-in-law);
Rose Caldwell, (daughter-in-law).
Wreaths were from –
Mr. And Mrs. Ogle and family;
Mrs. Rae, Fernville;
Mr. and Mrs. John Grant;
Ambrose and Edith Sherry;
John Caldwell and family.
There was a Mass Offering from Ambrose and Edith Sherry.
Mr. Hugh M’Nulty, Church Street, Warrenpoint, carried out the funeral arrangements.

Taken from The Frontier Sentinel 23rd June, 1934.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:16 pm 

Izranch - a member of my family is a descendant of the Bettridges. I have information from the early 1800s. I'll send you an email with further details.

dukestreet - thanks for the obit!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:38 pm 

Hi Peg,
Knew I'd heard those names:
Mum remembers Elizabeth (a teacher) and Agnes, and "Andy" (Ambrose?) living in Thomas Street, then Peter Street. Her Mum used to take her to visit (neighbours) and Agnes, altough at this stage blind, made excellent apple tarts.
You could try www.irishmariners.ie, I see a James Green there altough the dates don't match.
However, you have B&B and the Duke on the job, so you'll have lots to look forward to.
Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:56 pm 

PS to Peg, had a look at the census, possible interesting point, the 1901 and 1911 give 16 and 20 the Square, Mum actually said 20 Thomas Street.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:06 pm 

Although I hadn't heard of the name before, Mary Ann Caldwell (nee Bettridge) was my great grandmother. My father, aged 12 at the time, was at the funeral. Thank you so much for posting these details.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:09 pm 

Thank you Dukestreet for the Obit!

Padraigin - Do you know which building the census refers to at The Square? It appears that the Bettridges ran a paint/hardware store very near the end of the block (next to a hotel?) Maybe they moved at some point, but do you know if the original building still stands? Haven't had any luck finding James Green (or Greene). His occupation in the States was as a Rigger, so he was likely employed at the docks when at Warrenpoint.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:45 pm 

Sorry I don't know. Wonder if Paul Mc E would have any thoughts on this?
Mum thinks Andy was a painting contractor, but can't think of a shop as such. She is quite sure about 20 Thomas Street, then Peter Street. Next door to 20 was an old school, then Peter Street, then a hotel, (O' Hares), now there now, but have seen pictures of it on this forum.
Don't give up yet, someone on the forum will come up with some answers for you, must have a look for 20 the Square.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:31 pm 

I don't remember Amby Caldwell, the painter, but I heard my father talk about him, and when he spoke about him it was in reverential terms. I think Big Frank Sherry was reared with Amby and May Caldwell in Newry Street, or went to live with them when he was quite young? Maybe even Big Frank served his time with his Uncle Amby? I do remember May Caldwell though, because when the Sherry's moved to Iveagh Avenue about c.1955, from Newry street, 'Aunt May' lived with them. She was quite old by then, (in her 70's maybe, I am unsure though), and I think she passed away in the late 1950's, but I can't be sure.

In the obituary there is a Mary Caldwell, maybe that is the wee old lady we referred to as ' Aunt May.' Maybe Ambrose and Mary (May) were brother and sister?
Aunt May was a gentle soul.

Maybe Northbrook's wife could help here, as she was a nieghbour in Newry Street?

The Bracken's from Ballydesland/Clontifleece were also cousin's of the Sherry's and the Caldwell's.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:12 pm 

Hi Dukestreet, Aveen says Amby and May were brother and sister ............................

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:24 pm 

Thanks Aveen and Northbrook, all those years I had assumed Amby and May Caldwell were husband and wife, I was about the say that in my last post. Then I realised one should never assume anything until one knows for definite. A trap I keep falling into.
So can we assume that Big Frank Sherry's mother was a sister of Amby and Aunt May Caldwell? And was Vincey Caldwell's father another brother?
There you are I am doing the assuming again. :sos: :sos: :sos:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:13 am 

dukestreet wrote:
There you are I am doing the assuming again. :sos: :sos: :sos:

No harm in that.....

'I have learned throughout my life as a composer chiefly through my mistakes and pursuits of false assumptions, not by my exposure to founts of wisdom and knowledge.'

Igor Stravinsky

(I assume yer man Stravinsky was not a 'point man but he may have been working in Lidl at one time! :rotfl: )

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:00 am 

Hi, Duke Street
Yes Vincie (and Frank) Caldwell's father, John, was indeed another brother.
Once again very many thanks for the obit. of Mary Ann Caldwell.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:06 pm 

There was another brother named Felix? Felix was a bit of a character, I do rememember him living in the Rowan's just before he passed away, maybe it was in the late 1990's, but I am not sure?
My late Uncle Brian told me a great yarn about the indomitable Felix Caldwell.
During the 1940's a lot of Warrenpoint men joined the Irish Free State Army. My uncle Brian was one of those young men, along with the late Barney 'Colonel' Devlin and Felix Caldwell, they were in the same regiment, and found themselves on leave together. They were stationed in Athlone or somewhere in the West. The problem was the Irish Free State was desparately short of money, and as this intrepid trio were granted leave together they headed North to the 'Point by getting lifts here and there, the odd lorry journey, and the odd horse and cart, they found themselves broke, cold and hungry in Drogheda, and very thirsty. Big Felix asked the other two would they like a drink and a smoke. As they hadn't any money at all between them, the Free State couldn't give them any money going on leave, they thought Big Felix had lost the plot.
Big Felix said to them to follow him as he went into a Drogheda pub, and said to the Barman, "Three pints of your best stout, three half 'un's of your best Irish whisky and 20 fags each." A kings ransom in those days.
The Barman hastened to comply with this large order.
The 'Colonel' Devlin and my Uncle Brian didn't argue with the Big Man from Ballymaconaghy, from near the fabled The Moygannon Stream, and they greedily downed down their whiskey and stout and pocketed the fags. Leaving every thing in the capable hands of Big Felix and the Man Above.
The three of them finished their drinks almost together, and Big Felix looked at the Barman who was waiting for the money, and said to him. "Do you keep a slate in this splendid establishment"?
The dumbfounded barmen replied, "Certainly not, that will be "£2-10s."
Big Felix replied again "well then keep it it in your head, £2-10s, 'til we are here again." and with that the three soldiers of Erin marched out of the pub in parade ground fashion, leaving the dumbfounded barman with his loss.

People in this little island could surely sleep soundly in their beds knowing of the excellent calibre of men who were protecting them.

27Lamanna. Any photo's of Big Felix Caldwell?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:14 am 

Hi, Duke Street
there is a photo of Felix Caldwell as a young man on this site. It is under the post '3 men', posted May 1 2008.
Felix is the tall one on the left, with Frank in the middle and Ambrose on the right.
He did live in the Rowans in the 80's and early 90s with his wife Barbara.
I don't think I have any photos of him (must check in the loft).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:38 pm 

My family line also traces back to the Bettridge and Caldwell families of Warrenpoint.
My grandfather, also named Charles Vincent Bettridge, moved to the Isle of Man after the 1914 - 1918 war.
There is now a large Bettridge family living here on the Island but unfortunately there does not appear to be anyone now living in the Co. Down area.
I think the last two were brothers Joe and Robert Bettridge who lived in Omeath and at least one of them was alive up until the mid to late 1970s.
Incidently the name in Omeath is pronounced Buttridge and sometimes spelt that way.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:41 pm 

I have discovered an obituary of a Miss Elizabeth Bettridge, of St. Peter Street, Warrenpoint who passed away in 1938, I think, I will have to go back to the archives and check the date. I am presently pre-occupied with another matter, but I will put this new information on this site very soon.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:30 pm 

To re-kindle the Bettridge Family post I have recently been in touch with members of the family whose ancestors emigrated to Australia many years ago.
My Great Great grandparents were Edward Bettridge and Ellen (nee Gracey) from Warrenpoint.
Edward had a brother, Robert who along with his wife Theresa (nee Donnelly) and young son, also Edward, left Warrenpoint and emigrated to Australia although I am not quite sure when.
In Australia they had at least one other son who was named Charles Vincent, whose daughter and other family still live near Sydney.
His son John Vincent has recently died aged 92
Charles Vincent is one of at least 5 family members with the same name only one of which, as far as I know, is still alive and lives in Chester.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:34 pm 

Does anyone have information about a Theresa Colgan, who may have married a Robert John Bettridge.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:45 am 

I think Theresa Donnelly or Colgan are one and the same person.
I have two documents using different surnames but I am sure it is the same Theresa who emigrated to Australia along with Robert Bettridge and family.
Their descendents still live there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:31 pm 

Does anyone know if Edward and Ellen (nee Gracey) Bettridge were born in Warrenpoint, or if they relocated from elsewhere? Or information about their parents?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:49 am 

As far as I am aware Edward and Ellen Gracey were from Warrenpoint.
My father, who is 93, recalls the family belief that the father of Ellen Gracey was in the legal profession, perhaps a circuit judge and quite a character by all accounts.
Both Edward and Ellen are names that have carried on through the Bettridge family to this day.