oldwarrenpointforum

Making people late for appointments since 2007
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:07 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:06 am 

Hello!

I am writing from the state of Minnesota in the USA. If anyone knows any of the following people or can point me especially to Lizzie McCullough's maiden name (and family), I would be most grateful.

James and Lizzie had one son (Samuel), four daughters (Margaret, Sarah, Elizabeth, and Hannah), and a child who died. The 1911 Irish Census lists James (age 78) as a retired gardener. Samuel never married and lived in his parents’ home his entire life. Hannah married George Watson who was killed in WWI and their only child, a son, was killed in WWII. She lived in Warrenpoint all her life.

Meanwhile, Margaret, Sarah, and Elizabeth came over on a passenger ship probably to Ellis Island before the 1911 census. They all ended up in Los Angeles, California, USA. Sarah married George Wells and stayed in the L.A. area. Margaret (“Maggie”) married Jack Shone and relocated to San Diego, California, USA. Elizabeth also came to San Diego where she met and married Christian Breuninger.

I believe the McCulloughs lived at 17 Meeting Street which is now known as Charlotte Street.

I have family visiting Warrenpoint THIS WEEK! (Apr 29-May 2, 2010) so if anyone has any info that I can email to them ASAP, we would be very grateful.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:39 am 
VIP
VIP

:--) Irish Granny......I am sure someone will come up with the information you are looking for.In the meantime, you can use the forum's search engine to find articles which might be of interest to you.
By searching "Hannah Watson"you will find her obituary in the newspaper clippings section(page 5)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:50 pm 
VIP
VIP

Irish Granny - I can't help you with your
ancestry, but I did know Mrs. Watson.
I knew she was a widow, but I didn't
know she had a son who was killed
in the War. How tragic.
She lived in a bungalow on Clonallon Rd,
and was always in her garden, a
nice woman.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:44 pm 
VIP
VIP

Irish Granny,

James McCullough married Elizabeth Stevenson in Downshire Rd Presbyterian Church, Newry on 15 June 1882. Both James and Lizzie had a father named Samuel.

If you want to see the detail, try this site (requires payment, I'm afraid):

http://www.ancestryireland.com/

Go to the Family Records page. Unless you're very unlucky, the record details will show addresses & names of witnesses.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:21 pm 

When I was a pupil at Warrenpoint Technical School Mrs Watson (Hannah) was the caretaker. Every year she laid a wreath at the Remembrance Day Ceremony. I think she was a member of The British Legion. When I was a young girl I remember her having a great friend called Laura Stoops, she lived in Charlotte Street and later emigrated to Canada.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:46 pm 
VIP
VIP

Meeting Street - I too remember the
name Laura Stoops.
I don't remember what she looked like
but it is familiar.
I think Mrs. Hornsby (patsy's mum) was
caretaker, when we were taking cooking
classes there. :--)

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 6:02 pm 
VIP
VIP

Meetingstreet, I remember Mrs.Stoops very well and her son Geordie they lived next door to Dinsmores I think, was her christian name Laura or Martha, I always thought it was Martha but could be mistaken. Hanna Watson as you said was very much involved with the British Legion. Shortly before she died she made a generous donation to both bands in the town for the enjoyment they had given her over the years. I thought that was worth a mention at this time ...........................................