oldwarrenpointforum

It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:14 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:23 am 

Hi,

I am writing to update a further post that I placed regarding James McGivern who was born in Newry Co Down c1862. I think I may have traced his parents as being Mary Ann & James McGivern who lived in the Grinan area in Newry. Mary Ann may have been Mary Ann Green and they were married in Warrenpoint Roman Catholic Church in 1864. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Kind regards
Kerry Hite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:43 am 

Further to my last post, there could be a possibility that James McGivern's mother may have been Mary Anne McConville and he might have had a brother Hugh. Does thing ring a bell with anyone?

Kind regards

Kerry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:26 am 

Hi All,

I may have found another clue however I am not sure on this one either. Because of the belief that the name James Thomas McGivern had been passed down through the generations, I decided to research whether any other McGivern families in the area had a James Thomas McGivern and I did find one. He was born in 1868 and his parents were Patrick McGivern and Anne McClory from the Parish/District of Annaghlone. Does anyone know if this Patrick had a brother James McGivern?

Kind regards
Kerry

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:56 pm 
Kerry,

Hi there. Still working on this, I see.

If you found this James Thomas, you should also have found his siblings Margaret (1871) and Bernard (1872), as well as the marriage of his parents in 1868. Were any of the baptismal sponsors or marriage witnesses of the name James McGivern?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:28 am 

Hi,

Yes, still trying to find a needle in a haystack LOL. No I didn't try any other leads about the family however thanks for the heads up about the extra information. I was wondering if Patrick (the father) might have been my James Thomas's father James's brother.

Cheers
Kerry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:18 am 

Hi,

I am still interested in locating any information on James McGivern born c1862. On the marriage banns, it states that his father was also James and his mother was Mary Ann. It is annotated on the original marriage certificate, that James's father was deceased at the time of the marriage and that he had been a farmer. My Aunt has recalled that she believed the family were from Grinan, Co Down or it could be Newry, Co Down.

Although the marriage took place in Liverpool UK and James lived and died there in 1920, it states that he was a resident of Newry at the time of the 1911 census.

Please let me know if the links below do not work and I will try and provide copies another way.

Marriage banns to Mary Isabella McFarland 1895
http://search.ancestry.com.au/Browse/vi ... 644&email=

1911 UK Census Record
http://search.ancestry.com.au/Browse/vi ... 346&email=

I would be grateful for any information.
:brickwall:

Kind regards
Kerry Hite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:27 am 
khite wrote:
Although the marriage took place in Liverpool UK and James lived and died there in 1920, it states that he was a resident of Newry at the time of the 1911 census.

Kerry,

The links will only work if you are a subscriber to Ancestry.

Btw, I don't think he was resident in Newry in 1911. I think the census entry is saying that he came from Newy, but was now resident in Liverpool. That's my reading of the column instructions.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:23 pm 

Yes, sorry my post was a bit misleading. I was just confirming that he was born in Newry. As it looks like he signed the census document, I thought that he was living in Liverpool at the time. The 1911 UK census was the only lead I had that he was actually born in Ireland. All the sites I have subscribed to do not have any record of this birth in Ireland. His marriage banns state this his father was James and his mother was Mary Anne, therefore my earlier assumptions were correct. Thank you for the heads up about the links. I will upload copies of the images soon for a reference in case anyone is able to recognise any of my family.

Cheers
Kerry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:12 pm 

Further to my last post, I have inserted the documents mentioned above. One is for the 1911 UK census and the other for the marriage banns.

Many thanks
Kind regards
Kerry Hite

Attachment:
Marriage Banns - James McGivern.jpg
Marriage Banns - James McGivern.jpg [ 166.81 KiB | Viewed 5380 times ]

Attachment:
1911 UK Census.jpg
1911 UK Census.jpg [ 85.5 KiB | Viewed 5380 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:59 am 

Hello,

Further to my previous posts. I was wondering if anyone knows if the Mary Ann McGivern [Mother] who is mentioned on the 1901 and 1911 Irish Census documents below, may have been married to a James McGivern? I am wondering if she was, then they may be the parents of my James McGivern born c1862? My Aunt has told me that her mother, my grandmother, used to refer to her grandmother as 'Grinan Granny'. This might be another clue.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... n/1245458/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... an/254267/

Many thanks
Kerry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:42 am 

Hello again,

I had mentioned in a previous post that there was a possibility that there might be a connection with James McGivern who married Mary Ann McConvill(e). I found a record online for the birth of a Mary Catherine McGivern born in Newry, Armagh, Ireland 22 March 1867 whose parents were James McGivern and Mary Ann McConvill(e). Does anyone know if Mary Catherine had a brother James who was born c1862?

The only other record I can find online is for a James McGivern and a Mary Healy from Belfast however I am not sure if this is a connection?

Many thanks

Kerry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:54 am 

Hello,

I have also found another child for Mary Ann McConvill(e) and James McGivern [Magivern] - Newry, Amagh:

Bernard Magivern
Born 19 November 1864.

Cheers
Kerry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:32 pm 

Hello Kerry

You were looking some time ago ( ie 7 years) for info on James and Mary Ann McGivern ( nee Green ).

These names have cropped up in my research in that he was the brother of my great grandfather Andrew whose father ( also Andrew) farmed in Aughnamoira, the next village on from Grinan.

Both ended up in Liverpool along with many other Irish born McGiverns.

Are you still researching or have you given up in frustration as I have nearly done so many times.

Is anyone else around who is an expert on the mysteries of McGs in Grinan / Aughnamoira during the 19th century ?

I'd appreciate any help.

John McGivern

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:03 pm 

James. My connections are McGivern Aughnagon. I see a Mary Ann(e) here too, probably not the same but it's a side of my family tree I know nothing further back than this.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/s ... renLiving=

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:38 am 

Hi John

I did end up finding my McGivern ancestors from Grinan. My great grandmother Mary Ann McGivern was living with her son Patrick (my great grandfather's James' brother) in the 1901 and 1911 census. She was a widow. Her husband James died in 1890.

I had the wonderful opportunity of visiting Ireland last year. What an amazing experience!! I hope to travel back next year.

I wonder if there is a connection to your McGivern family somewhere along the line.

Kind regards
Kerry.