oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:17 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:36 pm 

Corporal John Morgan of the East Surray Regiment,is spending a well earned rest at the "Point"and his many friends and comrades are glad to see him looking so well and fit.He has beenat the front since the outbreak of hostilities and has been in some of the principal battles coming through all without a scratch.
He has many thrilling experiences in the foghtingline and some narrow escapes to tell of.He is of opinion that there is a treat in store for Mr Turk,and says that the Bavarians and Turks are sick of the war.
Corporal John Morgan is a son of Patrivk Morgan ,Church Lane Warrenpoint and has three other Brothers and three Brother- in- Laws serving thier King and Country,all of whomare in France.
Mr Patrick Morgan,it will be remembered,received on the big rally day in Warrenpointfom the hands of his Excellency Lord Wimborne,seven certificates.Warrenpoint people are pround of the splendid example which Mr Morgan has shownby giving his four sons.Frances Morgan 8th RoyalInniskilling Fusiliers,who is the youngestson,was gassed at Loos and is at presentin hospital at Leeds.
Corporal John Morganwho was Promoted on the field,has received a certifcatefrom General B R Mitford,C B.. D.S.O,which was readto the 72nd Infantry Brigade at the parade service on October 3rd 1915,congratulating the menon the waytheyhadbehavedunder heavy gun and artillery fire,onlya year after they came forwardat thier country,s call.
"You were an example,"said General Mitford .in steadness and determination to carryout your task,not only to the new armies,but also to seasoned troops who could not have done better than you have.

This Was sent to me From Dukesreet, Mr and Mrs Patrick Morgan were My Great Grand Parents And John And Frances Morgan Were My Great Uncles ,John Was Killed France June 15th 1917,and on the Menin Gate ,Frances was killed France October 18th 1918 i have been to Menin Gate and to Frances grave (something my great grandmother was unable to do) and i am so pround of them both.

Had to correct Corporal John Morgan,s Date of death he was killed 15th June 1917 not 1918.My mistake.

Khan

Khan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:11 pm 

An impressive record of bravery, khan. You are right to be proud.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:27 am 

Amen to that B&B. Quite a family. Can you imagine how those poor parents must have worried?
Thanks for sharing, Khan. And of course, thanks to our super sleuth, Dukestreet, for another gem.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:50 pm 

The Morgan Brothers were my Great Great Uncles, and my Great Grandfather was one of the Brothers in law, Arthur Smith.
What an amazing article to find, makes you very proud and sad at the same time.

Does anybody know the source of the article, I've had a look on the British Newspaper archive but can't find it. Sadly Dukestreet and Khan don't appear to be using the forum anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:20 pm 

Duke Street will turn up eventually lol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:19 pm 

Some good news, Khan (Pauline) has been in touch and hopefully this week can tell me more about the Morgans.

It would still be good to contact Dukestreet , to confirm origins of the article.