oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:23 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Please feel free to ask any questions about your family in here and if somebody reading the forum has any information, I would encourage them to reply either on the forum or via the private messaging service.
I would however, advise people not to put their email or any other personal details such as phone numbers in any thread (for obvious reasons) 8)

Also, a lot of the initial posts here are by members of the old forum, and I have reprinted them here to save them the trouble.

Please also note that it is early days for this forum, so it is possible we may not be able to help you, but we can try. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:29 am 

HI I CAN ONLY FIND DETAILS OF EDWARD GALLAGHER BORN1871 in church records as all are clan were born in this area i though be more info . My dad WILLIAM GALLAGHER 1913- 1974 was born in the gate lodge on the Tamnaharry estate as this belonged to the Hillsbourough estate do you think some sort of record would be there.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:51 am 

Hi Gap:
I found these two entries in the listings of Gallaghers on Ros Davies' site.
Anthony GALLAGHER . Warrenpoint husband of Catherine Dollaghan; father of Edward b. 22 Jan 1871

William GALLAGHER . Warrenpoint second engineer on SS Upas which sank 19 Mar 1915

Also:
From Belfast and Ulster Directory, 1910
Gallagher, Mrs., Duke street
Gallagher, William, Meeting street

You might want to check the 1901 and 1911 census for the Point.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:54 am 

Another thought. Check with the Burren Heritage Centre to see what they might have.
For a picture of the Gate Lodge, see here: http://www.timescapes.org.uk/pages/cont ... =%20961%20

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:21 am 

Many thanks for your help St louis Guy that must have been some christing party :rotfl: judging by the state of the house :cheers:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:55 am 

If you get by Downpatrick, you might want to stop at the Down County Museum.

The Newry steamship 'Upas' was the pride of the J.S. Fisher fleet of colliers until the fateful day of March 18 1915. For on that day at around 10.30am the ship went down in atrocious conditions off Ballyquintin Point at the tip of the Ards Peninsula. Of her nine man crew only two survived the tragedy, but part of the ill-fated Upas lives on at Down County Museum in Downpatrick. The ship's telegraph - the instrument which communicated messages between the bridge and the engine room - was salvaged from the wreck in two pieces before being reassembled. It now takes pride of place in the Museum's Sea of Life exhibition.
http://www.downcountymuseum.com/templat ... &textsize=
The two survivors were Sam Hanna and James McShane.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:56 pm 

Hello

I'm wondering if anyone can remember anything about my father's family?

He was Kevin Mahon born 1917, his mother's name was Celia, siblings were John, margaret (Peggy) and Micheal.

They owned an inn or Hotel on the seafront - opposite the baths or a bandstand (I saw it in the early 1970's and remember what the front of the building was, and it was opposite an open area with a bandstand looking structure)

Kevin was the youngest, and Peggy married a man from Dublin called Gerry Watson and had 3 daughters, Celia, Aveen and Geraldine. Celia became a Murphy who has a connection to a farm in the area.

The family had a lot of building and onstruction interests in Dublin at the turn of the 20th century and may hav done so in Warrenpoint too.

Can anyone help?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:03 pm 

Thanks to this wonderful site I have now found a photo of the granny I never knew, and the hotelwas the frontier Hotel!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:32 pm 

That part of the town, (where Thomas Street meets Havelock Place, the Frontier Hotel was on the corner), is still referred to as Mahon's Corner by some older residents.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:57 pm 

Now who would you be meaning here D?
I have often heard Mum speak of Peggy Mahon and her mother!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:19 pm 

Looking for info. About my ancestors from Warren point . The only info I have is what I got off the census of Warrenpoint. Mine were the Coffey family who lived on17 Clonallen St. In 1901 they were Robert and Mary Coffey. They had a daughter named Mary who was my great-grandmother . She married a Robert Mcguffin and they lived on 9Donaghagery St. Also his father was named Robert and had lived at the same address My grandfather was Robert Albert . The family came to Canada about 1913" Some of the Coffey siblings came to Canada also, so I don't know if any of her siblings stayed in Ireland. As I know nothing of the families. So I am wondering if there are any relatives left in Ireland. my great-grandparents were married in the Church of Ireland. The mcguffins were not a close family in Canada after they grew up some of them lived in the same town but never kept in touch. Ther moved to Ontario Canada. And I live in Ont. The street name could be spelled different now. As I got that info off the census.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:16 pm 

I remember a man named David Coffey who lived on the Clonallon Road, but he passed away in the 1970's, I think. The Major family now live in his house, I think they may be some kind of relation to the late David Coffey, but I am not sure about that, but if I come up with anything, I will put it on this site.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:34 am 

Yes my great -grandmother Mary Mcguffin maiden name Coffey did have a brother by the name of David. She died in the 60's So it could be him their parents were Mary and Robert. In 1911 they were living in number 5 according to the census Am wondering if there are any McGuffins left Last Sept. My husband took a 2week trip to Ireland . But the bud did not take us to Warrenpoint. We really liked the country. It would have been nice to have gone down the back roads and really seen the countryside.I live on a farm in Canada.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:43 am 
Darlene Richardson wrote:
Yes my great -grandmother Mary Mcguffin maiden name Coffey did have a brother by the name of David. She died in the 60's So it could be him their parents were Mary and Robert. In 1911 they were living in number 5 according to the census Am wondering if there are any McGuffins left Last Sept. My husband took a 2week trip to Ireland . But the bud did not take us to Warrenpoint. We really liked the country. It would have been nice to have gone down the back roads and really seen the countryside.I live on a farm in Canada.

This link might be of interest to you:

http://www.oldwarrenpointforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=8433

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:06 pm 

Yes Darlene R. there a few McGuffin's still in the town. I have found a wee bit of information on a Robert Coffey and a William Coffey, who both served in World War1. And I have found out that the Major family are related to the Coffey/ McGuffin/Leslie/ Gamble families, I don't know if that information is of any relevance to your family.
The house where the late Davy Coffey lived, now the residence of the Major family, is on the Clonallon Road, just a few hundred yards up from the celebrated Clonallon Church and Cemetery.

I will post the relevant information when I get a chance. :cheers2: :friends:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:05 pm 

The major family could be the grandchildren or even a great-grandchild of David Coffey. The McGuffin family were not close after growing up. They lived in the same town . But the cousins never knew their aunts , uncles.and cousins. My mother never knew the McGuffin or Coffey families. And I have never met anyone.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:55 pm 

My Greatgrandparents Mary Coffey and Robert McGuffin were married at the Church of Ireland Colallen parish Her parents lived nearby. They married Aug. 1903" I expect her family is also buried there. Her father was most likely too old t o have world been in the first world war. war . But he could have had younger brothers or cousins. Though on the census I only saw I Coffey family in Warrenpoint.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm 

Darlene,
David Coffey and my mother were 2nd cousins. During the late 1940s and early 1950s, I spent my school holidays at Clonallen with David, his mother Margaret and his aunt Sarah Anne McKibbin. Margaret and Sarah Anne were your mother's aunts. I recall David visiting the McGuffin household very often. But I did not know until I read in these posts today that another aunt was married to a McGuffin. I do not really remember anything about them. Your Grandmother was a half sister of David Coffey
You also raise a question regarding Davids connection with the Major family. Mrs Annie Major was a half sister of Davids.and was married to William Major. David visited the Major household very,very often. The majors had quite a large family and I was very familiar with them. Another half sister Matilda (Tilly) lived in Calgary, Alberta Canada.

David's father was married twice. I understand the first wife was a Martha McMurray and she would have been your great grandmother. His second wife was Margaret McKibbin from Annalong/Kilkeel. She was David's mother.

During the past two years I have been trying to pull together a family tree to find out how David and my mother were second cousins.This has taken me back to around 1800AD, and I have prepared a preliminary family tree. But just yesterday I have uncovered further information including that regarding your GT Grandmother. so I have quite a lot additions to include now.

I f you want, I can e-mail you a copy as it stands at the moment. Up to present time I had no reason to investigate the McGuffins.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:34 pm 

David Coffey. David Coffey was half brother to my great great grandmother( Mary Coffey- she married a Robert McGuffin ) They came to Canada in 1913 Margaret MCKibbon ( Dave's mother ) was her stepmother Was told none of the kids liked their stepmother , that's why the unmarried girls left forCanada All the girls lived in Ont It was one of the boys who lived in Calgary Don't know if anyone has any contact with the descendants of the 2 Coffey Boys that went to western Canada My granddad was Robert Albert Dave Coffey would not have been related to the McGuffins left in Warrenpoint (just friends) My great great grandad. Robert Mc Guffin had no brothers , just I sister She went to Canada too. My Mc Guffins were related to the ones that had the boot shop years ago The Coffey girls married a Leslie, a Gamble and McGuffin. And Susanna married a Major and the only girl to stay behind I was told that Dave's mother was domineering and controlling A lady near here gave me a little info her mother in law was Matilda(Coffey/Leslie) She met Dave Coffey years ago I am in contact with Bill Major I wish I knew where my GGgrandads farm was over there. Wonder why they left ? Where do you live now ? Do you have any photos of the Coffey cottage. . It would be nice to see it put up. If anyone has any Bye Darlene

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:36 pm 

Hi again I only have an I pad and can't print any info off .

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:14 pm 

That is interesting, I always understood that Matilda was in Calgary. I never heard David mention that the boys or the other girls were in Canada. He always talked about Tilly. Working on the family tree it just seemed to me that the girls and the boys had disappeared. Susanna was known locally as Annie. Yes Davids mother Margaret was a very strong person and never stopped arguing with with her sister Sarah Anne. I do remember the Guffins footwear shop in Warrenpoint. David never Married.

I do believe that I may have one photograph of David and Sarah standing outside the cottage. I will try to find it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:15 pm 

Hi John I am having. A problem sending e mails to you and Florence I am now told both your address are invalid. so I am not ignoring you Bye Darlene

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:25 am 

Looking for correct info on my info on my great grand father Robert Albert McGuffin Birth 28 Jul 1904 in County Down, Ireland Death Jan 11,1979 in Toronto, Ontario Canada, his father Robert McGuffin Birth 7 May 1874 in County Down, Ireland. Death est 1965 in Ontario, Canada, I have a copy of Robert Albert birth cerf and it says his dad middle name is Rick, is this correct? and/or is it Rich. He was married to Mary Margaret Coffey Birth 1867 Death Nov 3, 1963 in Ontario, Canada. Are Robert Rick/Rich? parents Robert McGuffin and Maria Hare McGuffin? And Robert dad is Thomas McGuffin. I just started this tree and any info would be great,
Thanks Laura

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:47 pm 

Hi Laura

My name is Valerie Coffey (formerly McGuffin.) My husband is no relation of the Coffeys in Warrenpoint but I am from Warrenpoint myself, though now living in Carryduff, near Belfast. I believe the McGuffins you mention may be another branch of my family. If you check the genealogy and ancestory section where your post appears and look under McGuffin Family & Coffey Family there are some posts there which may be of help. Darlene Richardson from Canada has some posts with some of the names you mention.

Hope you are successful.

Valerie

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:02 pm 

the gap wrote:
HI I CAN ONLY FIND DETAILS OF EDWARD GALLAGHER BORN1871 in church records as all are clan were born in this area i though be more info . My dad WILLIAM GALLAGHER 1913- 1974 was born in the gate lodge on the Tamnaharry estate as this belonged to the Hillsbourough estate do you think some sort of record would be there.

Hi Gap

I've sent some info. on the Tamnaharry gate lodges to you via email.

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:54 am 

Laura Fox Martin wrote:
Looking for correct info on my info on my great grand father Robert Albert McGuffin Birth 28 Jul 1904 in County Down, Ireland Death Jan 11,1979 in Toronto, Ontario Canada, his father Robert McGuffin Birth 7 May 1874 in County Down, Ireland. Death est 1965 in Ontario, Canada, I have a copy of Robert Albert birth cerf and it says his dad middle name is Rick, is this correct? and/or is it Rich. He was married to Mary Margaret Coffey Birth 1867 Death Nov 3, 1963 in Ontario, Canada. Are Robert Rick/Rich? parents Robert McGuffin and Maria Hare McGuffin? And Robert dad is Thomas McGuffin. I just started this tree and any info would be great,
Thanks Laura

Hi Laura
I realise this is a bit late :-O , however a digital copy of the handwritten Will of Robert McGuffin (19 Oct 1851-1 Dec 1903) is available online at the PRONI Will Calendars website, and in it he refers to his son as Robert RISK McGuffin. If you need additional details on this family's ancestry I've PM'd you my email address.

Regards
Jim